Amber Alerts on your smartphone

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Yesterday for the first time I received an amber alert notification on my iphone.
It was very intrusive and at a time of day I am in night quite mode.

Needless to say I didn't appreciate it.

Turns out on iphone and android devices have the CMAS notification enabled by default.

The good news is the government notification system can be disabled. For your iphone under Settings > Notifications > all the way to the bottom.

The day these notification can come in muted they shall get enabled again on my phone.

racer56

Reaction
I received the Amber alert too late last night. While it was an inconvenience and woke me up, I don't mind if it helps save a child. The more people that know about the abduction, the better.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I agree on being alerted on issues where I could possibly make a difference in principle.

Yesterdays alert had 2 flaws in my opinion.
- The alert sound on iphone is very intrusive. I would like the ability to treat it similar to regular SMS messages.
- The alert went statewide in California, when the crime was committed in Boulevard,CA (small town between San Diego and Mexicali). The system is designed to broadcast alerts to all users within one cell side. Did it have to go out statewide to people at the northern edge of the state right before Oregon? Not sure since I am not part of the investigation.

mgobaja

Reaction
i too received it, but how did it come through, I was half asleep, saw it on my screen, wet to enter my access code, and it was gone. Text message ? Email ?

1legjerry

Reaction
I don't have a issue with the system but i choose to disable the warnings because i watch and listen to the news everyday.

1legjerry

Reaction
What really scares me is they spoted the car using a automatic lic-plate ready on a freeway in Santa ana.
Scary because the dude is hauling north with the girl
Scary because what else is big brother doing with this information.

Offspring

Reaction
What's funny is everyone updated their operating systems on their phones and didn't bother looking at what was new. That alert system was news all over the place. Never woke me up because I shut it off as soon as I updated my phone.

Just wait until Obama sends you one! Oh, that one, you can't opt out of.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
What's funny is everyone updated their operating systems on their phones and didn't bother looking at what was new. That alert system was news all over the place. Never woke me up because I shut it off as soon as I updated my phone.

Presidential alerts can not be suppressed in the CMAS notification system. If your phone supports it you get it.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

blue dog

Reaction
I woke up some time late last night to my phone making a alert noise i had never heard before. It was a amber alert about a nissan. That was the first time that ever happened, and hopefully the last.

Offspring

Reaction

Presidential alerts can not be suppressed in the CMAS notification system. If your phone supports it you get it.

That's what I said. :D

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
I got the same alert. maybe because I'm signed up with the Fraternal Organization of You Guys....LOL

michael_loomis

Reaction
No alert as I haven't bothered to install the latest update.

And seriously, what good is a duplicate alert at 11pm going to do. Realistically none. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I posted this same thing on my Facebook and quite a few people thought I was wrong. Lol at least some people agree with me!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Honestly guys the people btiching about the Amber Alerts and selfish a-holes and really pissing me off. Are you really that inconvenienced by an alert seeking your help in finding someone's missing children? You can easily just hit dismiss and it goes away but at least now you are on the look out. I bet if it was YOUR KIDS who had been abducted you'd have no problem with the alert. I bet most peoples phone's beep and make noises all day long - one more noise is pushing you over the edge?

You can't do anything anymore without someone somewhere btiching and complaining. Its pathetic. This country is screwed if asking the public's help in finding missing children inconveniences people and upsets them. Unbelievable.

mccallumracing

Reaction
Honestly guys the people btiching about the Amber Alerts and selfish a-holes and really pissing me off. Are you really that inconvenienced by an alert seeking your help in finding someone's missing children? You can easily just hit dismiss and it goes away but at least now you are on the look out. I bet if it was YOUR KIDS who had been abducted you'd have no problem with the alert. I bet most peoples phone's beep and make noises all day long - one more noise is pushing you over the edge?

You can't do anything anymore without someone somewhere btiching and complaining. Its pathetic. This country is screwed if asking the public's help in finding missing children inconveniences people and upsets them. Unbelievable.

Rep points, my exact thoughts.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Crazy thing this morning. I saw a guy who looked identical to the guy they're looking for, driving a blue Nissan Versa with the first 3 plate numbers 6XH... I drove up close to take a closer look and this guy was his twin, huge glasses too. As soon as I got a chance I looked up the plates and it was 6WC...

I was close to pulling over and calling it in

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction

Thank god we have Obama to save the day for us :)

Like I said on my Facebook it's one thing to get it during normal hours say 7am-9pm. But sending them out in the night is pretty pointless when it's the SECOND one they sent the same day with the same info on it. I don't want to turn off the notification because I would like to receive them during the day. Just think there should be a couple more options given on receiving these rather than on-off only.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Thank god we have Obama to save the day for us :)

Like I said on my Facebook it's one thing to get it during normal hours say 7am-9pm. But sending them out in the night is pretty pointless when it's the SECOND one they sent the same day with the same info on it. I don't want to turn off the notification because I would like to receive them during the day. Just think there should be a couple more options given on receiving these rather than on-off only.

Its an F'ing emergency Fish. That's like saying I really wish Firetrucks couldn't use their sirens at night because it bothers me when I'm sleeping. Come on.

And Obama had nothing to do with this - its a partnership between the CHP and the state cell phone carriers. Its also geo-centric meaning only those cell phones within the targeted area receive the alert. So much for them trying to be the least invasive and make people happy - you guys still find a way to btich!