Amber Alerts on your smartphone

Reaction
I did not receive an AA on my phone - I've seen it on dozens of highway signs, heard it on the radio countless times, seen it on the TV countless times and read it in the media countless times.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I don't watch the news much, and out here in rural areas like Tennessee we don't have many of those freeway signs so the phone alerts are a very good way to get the alerts out to a bunch of people. In more populated areas like CA it may not be as big of a deal, but out here the phones might be the only way a lot of people hear about the alerts. I think they can also send alerts for weather emergencies like tornadoes and such that you guys don't get either... I have been getting alerts through the WeatherBug app for a long time too...

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Which you signed up for - and therein lies the difference.

Yup, but I also have received one or two Official Amber Alerts that were not from the app... I still think it is a good system and even if it only saves 1 kid a year it is well worth the momentary inconvenience to others to do it. Wouldn't you hate it if you had the alerts disabled and then got home and watched the evening news only to find out that the bad guy was right in front of you on the freeway??? Someone is probably driving or standing near the bad guy right now, and I would rather that someone have the info sent to their phone so they can report him rather than missing him...

The Amber Alert system is not foolproof, but it makes an effort to catch bad guys and return kids to their parents! I say that effort is worth it for sure! But that is just my opinion...

As to the big brother stuff you mentioned earlier... yup, I believe it is being tracked, cataloged and analyzed, but I try to be a good person and hope it will not hurt me in the future... The only way to ensure that it doesn't is to go completely off the grid, and really there probably is no longer an off the grid possibility with all the surveillance out there! It is scary stuff for sure!!!

michael_loomis

Reaction
Chris, I am not anti kid whatsoever. I conservatively answered 4 freeways signs on my commute down the 15 yesterday btw. I paid more attention this morning and there are closer to 9. I'm all for them. My point was just to use it wisely, not to make it so overblown that people become numb to them.

I couldn't think of a logical reason for an 11pm DUPLICATE text. (Which for the 3rd time, I don't have the latest updates, I don't even get them) then last night riding home it hit me.

The late night repeat is all about $$. Send off a mass text minutes before the 11pm news and generate viewers, viewers equals commercial revenue, etc, etc.

Hey, this tin foil hat stuff is fun!

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I have to agree with the people who say the 11pm text was not required. I got the first text, both my wifes phone and mine blew up at the same time with identical sounds (Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S) then a few minutes later the alert was scrolling across my TV screen. I was fully aware of the situation and planned to keep an eye out when I got on the road the next day. Which if anyone saw my earlier post, I did think I saw the car yesterday morning.

Anyway, by 11pm, I had already received 2 alerts and was fully aware of the situation. By 10:30 I was in bed getting ready for the work day, the last thing I wanted was that stupid annoying sound going off on two phones. It's not hating kids, it's not being insensitive, it's using logic and common sense. The majority of people, those who work at least, are in bed by that time and are not out on the roads. It was not necessary.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Interestingly, as I am reading the thread, My phone just went off with the info in Las Vegas - instantly me and my co-workers all got the info. Actually disappointed it took this long to go out concerning the seriousness of this suspects actions. This is far more severe than a "simple" abduction with already two homicides involved.

Someone was asking how to see the info after it disappears from you home screen - on an iphone all of your alerts are in the drop down if you drag from the top of your screen downward. Alerts, stocks, and all kinds of stuff stores there...

I understand that you find the hour that you received obtrusive however the world is not a 9 to 5 life anymore. If you sleep at night, then put your phone on silent a night. I fail to see where anyone can say that they leave there phone on for an emergency, but cant deem the missing child in the hands of a murderer an emergency. Maybe you were in bed but maybe it triggers a memory you saw earlier that day that can help. You decide if your volume on your phone needs to stay on or off - but disabling the alerts is not going to help anyone but you.

This is a very new program and if used appropriately I think it will be beneficial.

Now keep ur eyes open and lets find this POS

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Typical Obama supporter trying to blow things way out of proportion.....not once in this thread did anyone say we didnt want to help save anyone. We are saying there is a better way to go about it without pissing a ton of people off.

If I ever have kids and they are abducted I would not expect people in the whole start who are sleeping in their houses at 11PM to wake up and get in their cars and go out looking for them.

Typical Republican - inserting politics and blaming Democrats for something that doesn't need to be political.

And you CLEARLY do not understand what you are talking about. Did you even read the article I posted? ITS NOT THE WHOLE STATE BUT SPECIFIC AREAS.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Typical Republican - inserting politics and blaming Democrats for something that doesn't need to be political.

And you CLEARLY do not understand what you are talking about. Did you even read the article I posted? ITS NOT THE WHOLE STATE BUT SPECIFIC AREAS.

It goes out to whatever area they want. Yes. Point still is the same. We should be given more options in receiving them. Simple as that.

It is pretty scary when ya think about it that big brother does know where everyone is at all times now days just through their cell phone.

mgobaja

Reaction
Having a small child under my roof has changed my views on LOTs of things. The alert did wake me up, and not knowing what it was drove me to go check out my phone at the other end of the house. also seeing the signs on the way to work the following morning drove the message further into my head. If this saves 1 childs life, or gets one dirtbag off the street, then please continue sending them. I have the option to remove it from my phone, as do all of you. Just like watching TV, if you don't like whats on, change the channel.

f1sleepy

Reaction
The government isn't watching where you are and then sending you a message, they are sending the messages out through towers in a specific region. If you happen to be in that region, you get a message. It's a blanket system, not a pinpoint targeting system. There isn't someone monitoring a computer to see if fish is in the SD area....

As far as the time of day (or night), there are people on the road 24 hours a day. Many people work nights and sleep days so why not put it out there at night? Don't you think this guy might be moving at night instead of broad daylight? He is reported to be in a blue vehicle which would be more difficult to discern at night after all.

It's about reaching every person possible, not just those that are out and about during normal business hours. Hell, the fire was started at night, if they would have determined what happened right after the fire started, you would have received the Amber alert sometime before midnight the day of the incident.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
The point is, why send the second one? Why was a second identical alert required? Are they assuming we're all too stupid to know what the first one meant?

As been posted, the amber alerts are also on the freeways that can easily be visible to travelers at night. Nobody is saying these alerts are bad, the only resistance to it is that people saw the first one, those watching tv saw that one and by 11pm people who watch the news were well aware of the situation. Why was the 11pm alert required? To send to people who just got a phone that day and probably didn't get it during normal business hours?

michael_loomis

Reaction
I'm telling you. It's about the $$.

f1sleepy

Reaction
Because people move around? Maybe to make sure that people travelling into the region got the message? I can tell you I didn't travel on any freeways with signs posted. I saw one alert broadcast on my tv and never received an alert on my AT&T cell phone. In fact, if it wasn't for FB, I would hardly have noticed what had happened. I think some people are overstating the reasoning behind duplicate alerts. They are trying to cover all the bases.

Reaction
No one is saying that Amber Alerts are a bad thing, might even be a good thing, hasn't proven so yet. It is the broader issue of government intrusion and monitoring that this harmless alert illustrates.

Some time in the not to distant future, a message pops up on the windshield of your autopiloted transportation unit or in your communication implant:

"Fellow citizens in the Imperial Valley District, sensors in the restricted Plaster City Preserve have picked up rouge citizen JrSyko violating Dust Control Ordinances and Trespass Regulations in a vintage Ford Raptor that was not crushed during the Carbon Mitigation Recall. JrSyko is to be considered an enemy of the state and should be reported immediately if sighted. Reporting citizens will be allocated and additional ration of Soylent and Pacification Crystals. This is a message from the Security and Compliance Counsel - carry on comrads.":p

mccallumracing

Reaction

You guys are going to have some good political race talk in that new Raceco hot rod if pat leaves fish in while you guys do a driver change! Haha

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
Not to stir the pot more but this is my take on it.

Great idea, and they just shot themselves in the foot. I saw a screen shot of someone's alerts in my Instagram feed of them going off at 1 and 3? in the morning. Mine went off around 10:30 and I was passed out on nyquil to the point where I dont remember shutting the alert off.

With every person they just upset about the late night alert, they just lost that many people who turned the alert off in their settings for good. Soon enough the people who receive these alerts will be minimal compared to how many they think they are targeting.