Amber Alerts on your smartphone

michael_loomis

Reaction
Safe? Who's to say she didn't help torch the rest of family and run off with her lover?

1450-ranger

Reaction
He outran all the warnings, Too much bureaucracy in it now.

Not necessarily. PDs and Feds don't show their hand sort of speak for several reasons. In order to activate an amber alert it takes several levels of approval and must meet certain criteria. If there wasn't such a process, there wouldn't be enough signs. There are other avenues for those situations that don't meet the criteria (media, law enforcement broadcast etc)

There were several sources of intel he drove that vehicle north. Several plate readers along major CA interstates picked up the vehicle going n/b hours after the crime in blvd, ca..

Looks like the amber alert system worked and a child is home safe and butthole is dead. Job well done.

f1sleepy

Reaction
Safe? Who's to say she didn't help torch the rest of family and run off with her lover?

I think this is a very realistic possibility. With witnesses stating she did not appear to be in distress, it makes my stomach turn to think she MAY have been a willing participant in the deaths of her mother and little brother. The real victim in all of this was the little boy who had an entire life to live.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Looks like the amber alert system worked and a child is home safe and butthole is dead. Job well done.

I disagree. The Amber Alert system didn't do anything in this case. The person on horseback told authorities he had seen an odd looking "couple" out hiking on a preserve. They then found the car 6-8 miles from that location. There was no AA in Idaho. The person on horseback was aware of the case via national news.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya the AA had 0 to do with them being found. Like Loomis said a random guy on a horse saw them on the news and recognized them.

Plus when they found the car there was no license plate on it......

Reaction
Looks like the amber alert system worked

It may have functioned, but it did not lead to locating the suspect. Conventional media played that role, cluing in a retired sheriff as to who he'd met in the woods.

Choptechfab

Reaction
I read the horseback riders didn't think much of it until they returned home and seen the amber alert on TV. Without the amber alerts there would not have been near as much national coverage. Think what you want but it helped.

michael_loomis

Reaction
They indeed see an AA. Just via their national news. Not via 11pm cell phone text.

And again, nobody is saying AA's don't work. Just making a point about using them properly as to not dissuade people from paying attention to them.

Choptechfab

Reaction
Yep. I love the AA idea on the phone. Unfortunately, they shot themselves in the foot by sending out that 11pm AA. I wonder what the percentage was that turned it off that next morning? What a bummer.
I agree. This was also the first time the system has been used. I am sure there are bugs to be worked out.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
It's been used in other states a couple times already. Google search amber alert late night. You will see lots of people had the same reaction when it was sent out at 4am in some other states previously.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Everybody used to GAF. Not now. Women are griping about the inconvenience of not being able to bring large purses into NFL games now. Those same people would gripe about not having enough security if somebody exploded a bomb at a game or something. Same thing with being searched before a flight. Now some poor girl gets kidnapped and people are griping about getting bother by it.

Last edited:

Laurie

Reaction
Wow another reason not to have an iphone. I'm signed up with nixle.com to get alerts and I get an email and I don't get woken up.