Amber dust light to rear street legal?

cleartoy

Reaction
Ok so i just put a dust light(amber) on my rear shock mounts facing the rear.

Is it street legal to run them, or is it an off road only thing?

No biggie either way. I assumed it was off road only, but then i wondered.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Not sure on the legality of it, but I ran my old one on my truck for a few months, I don't think cops will bother you as long as you're not blinding tailgaters :)

Jordan

Reaction
all lights are legal as long as u dont turn them on when driving on the street...even a police lightbar is as long as its not on.

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

cleartoy

Reaction
I meant running them in the on position. Thanks though guys. Goin to D Day?

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i have 2 piaa dual amber and clear lights on my truck they may not be legal to " blind " tailgaters but they really work. flip the switch and they go backwards in a hurry. just gotta make sure you know its an @$$hole back there no tthe pooopoooo.

Gregg

JCA

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

all lights are legal as long as u dont turn them on when driving on the street

<hr></blockquote>

I think that lights over a certian watt need to have covers in place. Maybe some of the law guys on the board can confirm this.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

cleartoy

Reaction
Im just gonna run a switch to the light. That way i have the option.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
In California, all constantly illuminated lamps to the rear of a motor vehicle are required to be red in color.

Rear turn signals may be red or yellow. Vehicles manufactured before 1/1/79 may have yellow stop lamps.

Jordan, unfortunately section 24003 CVC makes it illegal to be "equipped" with lamps that are not required or permitted by the vehicle code.

Be wise and keep your off-road lamps covered. Don't give 'em a reason to pull you over.

Reese King

V8Ranger

Reaction
I'm pretty sure 55 watts is the limit without having to run covers on the street.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I used to have the Hella Ralleye 4000's and I got those clear covers for them they had. I got pulled over one time and the cop tryed to give me crap for them but I said that they did have covers on them and nowhere does it say what color the cover has to be....he had to agree and let me go....it was great.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I got pulled over for my front lights and my amber, I did not get wriiten up for them because they were disconected at the lights (with a plug) Having them on a switch allows you to turn them on and off. If they are disconected you cannot flash anyone. Just connect them when needed.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

punkassslacker

Reaction
I checked out the vehicle code the other day and from the way they phrase everything its not clear. As far as I could tell you can have a max of 2 rear facing non blinking amber lights, just get a copy of the code book and keep it in your truck, thats what I'm doing.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
I guess I should have said in my post that I work for the CHP.

Slacker, you mis-read something. No ambers to the rear.

Reese King

ntsqd

Reaction
I seem to recall that there is the requirement that off road lights, regardless of the direction they face, have to have either the covers that Fish & B.F.L. already 'covered', or be disconnected while the vehicle is on public roads, or that the switch have a guard that prevents it from accidentally being turned on, or the fuse be pulled while on public roads. This from the heyday of 70's disco trucks (back when they really knew how to build Disco Trucks, not these weak sister imatations we have rolling around now).

Since I go to the Dez in a couple of different vehicles I bolted a cheap amber fog to a CB antenna magnet found in the JY and wired it with a self coiling power point plug. Now it freely moves from one rig to the next and isn't PC as I can easily remove it. All of my rigs have power points that are always live so if it's plugged in, the light is on.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.

24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

You guys can research these laws at:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

Be sure you read the ENTIRE section and don't read anything into it.

Reese King

Jack

Reaction
The 12" over the top. I guess you can only do that if the top is under 30" to be under the 42" ?

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
No, Jack. Those are two different sections of the code. You don't combine them.

Reese

ntsqd

Reaction
There are lots of laws that I respect (far,far fewer that I don't than those I do), and by and large lots of lawmen that I respect.
This however: "24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than EIGHT LAMPS (caps mine) for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway." I can not.
While I would comply with the legal requirements for operating a vehicle on pavement, I reserve the right to decide for myself how many lights and when and where to use them while off road. As the driver of the vehicle I am responsible for it's safe operation and I will not be hampered & caused to operate said vehicle in an unsafe manner because of this law.
As it happens I have not exceeded this code, that does not mean that I forfeit the right to make that decision for myself. Yes, a lawman may cite for me this, and yes I will continue to make that decision for myself. I get the feeling that wording is a knee-jerk politician's get re-elected law & unfortunately the CHP and others are now stuck with it.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Stan

Reaction
There's a provision in the CVC for off road lights.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.