• Forum membership has its advantages....

Americans at Monte Carlo

spalind

Just an FYI that as WRC 2020 kicks off today that there is an American team that is running a number of events this year. Again its Sean Johnston and codriver Alex Kihurani. This year they are in a Pugeot 208 and in the RC4 class. Through 6 stages they are in 29th position which is fantastic for a privateer in a non-tier 1 car. In my opinion, Sean is a very good driver if a bit too likely to wad the car up at this level. Photo from the night stages last night I believe...

Tripp

Sean Finished 27th over all. Not bad. So wish we had a really good American racer to cheer on and ride the journey with. I lived in Sweden a few years and saw Ken Block race his Focus in 2011. He didnt care about anything other than winning Colin's Crest long jump award. He never stood a chance with the big boys flat out on the rest of the stages. Hope Sean can get something going up the ladder!

spalind

Sean Finished 27th over all. Not bad. So wish we had a really good American racer to cheer on and ride the journey with. I lived in Sweden a few years and saw Ken Block race his Focus in 2011. He didnt care about anything other than winning Colin's Crest long jump award. He never stood a chance with the big boys flat out on the rest of the stages. Hope Sean can get something going up the ladder!
More than finishing 27th, he won his class. Very impressive. Probly the best surface for Sean as he comes from a tarmac background. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here with Rally Sweden coming next in the snow in only a few weeks.

Tripp

Buddy of mine says there is no snow in Karlstad. The town where the rally starts. There is no snow except on 2 stages. High 30s and rain between now and the rally. They are trying to push the rally farther north and into Norway more but not looking promising. Probably the last year for Rally Sweden. The FIA has already been warning them for the last couple years. It's a safety issue FIA says. The snow banks help limit flying into trees. Thinner roads than rally Finland.

But my buddy said most of the classic stages this year are canceled as of right now.

spalind

yup, need to move the rally to either Russia or Canada at this point.

As for Sean and Alex, they are taking some time off moving from the R2 platform to an R5 which will be a big jump in speed. They will be returning later this year on the new platform and with a new team.