• Forum membership has its advantages....

An idea for a new tool to clean rusty tubing?

wrightracing.net

I know all of us at one time or another have had to clean rusty tubing for a project before we could weld on it properly. My thought was, is there anything powered other than a grinder or a wire brush Grinder out there that can clean tubing quickly. The thought came to mind was the way that pipe threaders work. My thinking was if there was a type of guy that could go in a hand held Pipe threader that would be like a wire brush for the outside diameter of the pipe. it would be just like plumbers use to clean copper pipes with a manual tubing cleaner.it would have to be faster than what a pipe threader goes but you get the general idea.

Has anybody seen a tool similar to that? just a thought what do you think?

Zambo

How much rust we talking about? I generally use scotch-bright pads and a little elbow grease.

wrightracing.net

I am talking about a 20ft stick of DOM that has been sitting behind the garage for a couple months.

I generally use a 4.5" grinder with a 3in twisted knotted wire brush cup.

This was more of a general question and not a how to question. I really need to build a tubing rack in my garage that can hold full sticks of Dom.

jeremyy

I dip it then it has a fresh surface rust then just scotch bright evening off. In side the tubing wire brush and your favorite cordless drill.

wrightracing.net

You are kind of missing the point. The question was not how to clean tubing but to find a tool that makes it quick and easy. I am far to A.D.D. to scotch brite 20 to 80 feet of tubing. I will just use the wire brush cup which still does an ok job but not quickly.
:what::screwy::eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jeremyy

That is the tool I'm suggesting. Dip in a rust solvent and use a long ass tube wire brush and your drill.

manicmechanic

A sand blasting glove box with holes in the sides to feed the DOM through comes to mind. Very handy for many other things also.

wrightracing.net

A sand blasting glove box with holes in the sides to feed the DOM through comes to mind. Very handy for many other things also.
That is so funny that you would bring that up. This morning I was thinking of the same idea with some sort of rubber door cut in the sides to feed the tubing through. I actually have been looking for a used sandblasting cabinet.

I guess great minds think alike. Also like most of us with limited garage space having a tool with multiple uses is a great idea.

My whole idea of the handheld device came to mind when I saw a pipe threader. It turns around the tubing in the same way that a plumber cleans of the end of a copper pipe before he sweats the fitting or like a car battery terminal cleaner. The idea being that it would make cleaning to be much faster and as all of us know time is money or we are just lazy and want to do it quicker. Also a die that fits right in to the tubing threader would re-purpose the threader. The only issue I see right off the bat is that the threader is too slow.

oh well just thinking out loud on the forum...

Tomorrow I have to start prepping race radios for the up and coming Vegas to Reno race.
Wednesday I will be cleaning tubing to build a roof rack and a light bar for a Chevy Extra cab truck.

Have fun Guys

Attachments

Wendell #527

I have a similar need, but I need a tool that will do bent tubing. I mean like bent tubing that's on the car. Mexico races are absolute hell on raw tubing even if they have an oil coating on them. I love racing next to and kind of in the ocean, but the rust is a bummer. I see a lot more painted chassis cars down there and I wish I would have painted mine before the B1K. I guess an acid wash is in order and then paint it, but a tool instead of muratic acid would be cool.

wrightracing.net

That is a great tool. I like that you can use it on already welded in tubing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

wrightracing.net

I just checked out the Fein RS 12-70E Pipe and tube sander. it is the perfect tool for what I need, but the price is beyond high just for a grinder
with a belt attachment. I understand its a bit more than just a grinder but $1700 is a bit high. I am thinking of getting the belts for it and make my own attachment. I will keep you posted...

wrightracing.net

Ok, so I just ordered a pack of belts to make one of those tubing belt sanders. Stay tuned...

bullnerd

I have been developing a similar tool just for fabricators. Unfortunately its not ready for the market yet. I have been using the prototype for a while now. Mr Wright, maybe you could be my first customer and help out a fledgling business at the same time?\m/

wrightracing.net

I have been developing a similar tool just for fabricators. Unfortunately its not ready for the market yet. I have been using the prototype for a while now. Mr Wright, maybe you could be my first customer and help out a fledgling business at the same time?\m/
Send me an email with a cost and some pictures. Also give me some details. I just ordered some aluminium-oxide 120 grit belts that are 1" by 32". Close to the same size as Fein's polisher.

[email protected]

green787

OK, you guys are funny... Willing to spend $1700.00 on a machine, that's going to be difficult to use, hard on the back, and doesn't produce a good product....
I use 150 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a garden hose.... Wrap your hand and a piece of sandpaper around the pipe and stroke with hose running slowly in other hand.... You'll be amazed at how fast even the rust pitting goes away....

ZTFab

OK, you guys are funny... Willing to spend $1700.00 on a machine, that's going to be difficult to use, hard on the back, and doesn't produce a good product....
I use 150 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a garden hose.... Wrap your hand and a piece of sandpaper around the pipe and stroke with hose running slowly in other hand.... You'll be amazed at how fast even the rust pitting goes away....

If you have difficulty using a grinder like that then you shouldn't be fabricating to begin with.

jgsturbo

My powder coater has a big belt sander setup at an angle to the tube that rides on v-rollers so the tube spins and moves thru the v rolls. Very similar to a centerless grinder , it will put a powder friendly scuff on the surface. I need to stop and look at it to build one, you can pre-surface tubes before cutting to cut down on blasting later.