• Forum membership has its advantages....

An idea for a new tool to clean rusty tubing?

ZTFab

My powder coater has a big belt sander setup at an angle to the tube that rides on v-rollers so the tube spins and moves thru the v rolls. Very similar to a centerless grinder , it will put a powder friendly scuff on the surface. I need to stop and look at it to build one, you can pre-surface tubes before cutting to cut down on blasting later.
I'm sure there are a few other manufacturers of them but that is another product that Fein makes. It's ther "GRIT" line of belt sanders.

A company I used to work for has one. It's used on all of their tubing before fabrication since 90% of the parts are brushed aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:

arqangel67

^^^ That think runs on 220v.

slim01

You say that like its a bad thing :p Sorry, forgot you guys run a different voltage to us (Aus)

jratzlaff

I use a hudson sprayer with muriatic "pool acid" and a wd 40 bottle with some baking soda mixed in to neutralize the acid once the rust drips off. Do a couple passes and finish off with a scotch brite pad. You can clean an entire rusty chassis in about 6hrs. Total spent about 30bux for enough to do an entire car.

green787

If you have difficulty using a grinder like that then you shouldn't be fabricating to begin with.
You are obviously bored and want to fight on RDC.... So, because I suggest that you hand sand the tubing, I shouldn't even be fabricating..... You're a freekin' idiot.... and That's my opinion, MORON.....

ZTFab

OK, you guys are funny... Willing to spend $1700.00 on a machine, that's going to be difficult to use, hard on the back, and doesn't produce a good product....
I use 150 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a garden hose.... Wrap your hand and a piece of sandpaper around the pipe and stroke with hose running slowly in other hand.... You'll be amazed at how fast even the rust pitting goes away....
You are obviously bored and want to fight on RDC.... So, because I suggest that you hand sand the tubing, I shouldn't even be fabricating..... You're a freekin' idiot.... and That's my opinion, MORON.....
Right. :rolleyes:

I suggested the use of an industry standard tool to which your reply is, " that's going to be difficult to use, hard on the back, and doesn't produce a good product."

You're stroking more than just some tubing.

Lighten up, Francis.

green787

Your machine is stupid, you can't get it into corners or under anything.... It's cumbersome.... 3M Wet/Dry sandpaper and a bucket of water is also an industry standard tool way before your useless tubing sander...

wrightracing.net

Hey guys, please keep it cordial. Just because someone does something different than your way you do, don't need to bash or call them names.

This is off roading not the US Congress.

Keep it pithy...

And as for the sander. It is not stupid or useless. It does address the original point. A faster way to clean tubing that has been sitting outside and rusted. Now 20ft sticks of 2in tubing would be cleaned much quicker than the old ways like a wirebrush or whatever. A good sand blaster would work the best on an already built project.

Thats just my opinion and opinions are like Farts, Some Stink and Some Don't. But it's all hot air...

ZTFab

Your machine is stupid, you can't get it into corners or under anything.... It's cumbersome.... 3M Wet/Dry sandpaper and a bucket of water is also an industry standard tool way before your useless tubing sander...
How old are you?

jgsturbo

Reading this thread makes me think we should just go back to the heat and beat method instead of welding...

green787

Hey guys, please keep it cordial. Just because someone does something different than your way you do, don't need to bash or call them names.

This is off roading not the US Congress.

Keep it pithy...
You're right....

A machine has no intelligence on it's own, it would be difficult to get it into the corners of roll cages and or under anything.... It's seems to me that it might be cumbersome.... 3M Wet/Dry sandpaper, a bucket of water and your HAND is also an industry standard tool way before your ingenious tubing sander...
I fixed it.

wrightracing.net

WELL I ended up getting one off ebay for $145. It is a great tool and saves a ton of time cleaning rusty tubing. And when I say rusty, I don't mean a little, but some major scale. I first tried the 60 grit and made quick work of it. Then 1st grit and still worked fast with a am other finish. I want to get finer grits and see how it works. A+ tool

wrightracing.net

I tried the 26 in belt but the 30in belt work's better

uploadfromtaptalk1394608304788.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

haldeman

Watch this video (or google "Removing Rust with Electrolysis") but swamp out the plastic buck with a rain gutter to place the tube into.

wrightracing.net

I have for years used the knotted wire brush cup and worked well. I saw the pipe polisher belt style machine and tried it and was impressed at how fast and easy it was over any other method. And I have tried most of them. For tubing it is by far the best. Worth the $150+shipping

sirhk100

I have a friend that does the electrolysis rust removal on parts for a '30 model A he's restoring. Works great for old vintage stuff like that!

Baja Bryan

I do architectural metal jobs with stainless steel and we put a circumferential finish meaning around the tube not long ways. For 20' or less straight tube we take a light duty polishing machine that is bolted to the floor. We use a 3m scotch bright wheel 2-3" wide and 16" dia. Hard to explain but but we have two rubber rollers that are stagerd diferrent directions. this makes the tube feed by its self. Super easy. Takes 60 seconds to do a 20' tube. For fabricated parts we used a modified grinder with a rubber wheel. Then we put a scotch bright belt 1/2" wide by 18" long. We cut the belt and but a special snap to make it a belt again. Works pretty good.