An open plea to Martelli bros., BITD or anyone willing to make a change

tooltime

Reaction
The selling of Parking Passes for Spec. area four has gotten completely out of hand. Every year the issue of Parking has become so out of hand that someone somewhere has to take notice and help fix the issues.
I have called and spoken to individuals withthe powers that be last year and the year before regarding the same issues. And up until now, have never really expressed my views in a public forum such as this. It appears those that have the power to make real changes, matter are not listening. So, this is why I'm taking to RDZ to voice my concerns.
We arrive at Spec four at approx 0655, and are told, "Sorry sir, we are full and need to leave or park your vehicle over there and walk in." Wait, I paid for a PARKING SPOT." It didn't matter. I wasn't going to argue with the staff. They were just doing their jobs. After we angrily parkfar away and schlep our crap to the Parking area and attempt to set up along the fence line, I begin noticing quite a few discrepancies with this picture.
1- Its clearly obvious the Honor system is not working. We noticed dozens of vehicles double and triple parked, thus taking up more room than they need.
2- Vehicle Parking Pass sharing. Yes, we witnessed it several times.
3 - With the Parking Pass sharing, people who had double and triple parked, were now moving their cars to let their friends park next to them. Some had legitimate Parking Passes it appeared. But, again we witnessed several people taking their Scotch Taped Parking Passes off their now parked vehicles and pass them off to their friends.
4- Yes, as I mentioned,there were Parking Passes that had the edges pulled up from obviously being pulled up and removed multiple times. Oh, and let's not forget those Parking Passes that were Sctoch Taped to the INSIDE of the windshield, or in many cases, not attached to a windshield at all.
5- Now, let's talk about the dogs without leashes. Yes, without a Leash.... Oh but wait, it clearly stated in the rules package which was sent out with our Parking Passes that there were no ANIMALS allowed. But some wouldn't know that, probably because they never paid attention to, or paid for a PARKING SPOT .... And yes, where there are ANIMALS without leashes, there were dogs attacking other dogs.. We witnessed two different dog fights..Oh, and not just dogs, but passer byes. People just simply walking by, like the guy in the Green Safety vest handing out surveys was nearly attacked by the dog without a Leash located near the end of Spec four exit..When I say nearly attacked, I'm saying the dog with the cut off tail running full steam barking wildly and full sprint at the guy. Thank God the dog without a Leash decided to listen to his owner just as the dog reached the feet of the man. And this wasn't the only incident. Just saying.
6- The little kid running his Traxxas Rustler up and down the Parking area spewing rocks everywhere. Yes, in the rules, once again it says no RC cars permitted. One of my guests told the kid to go somewhere else and play, we were getting tired of ducking rocks from behind us.
7- At one point, we counted seventeen, yes seventeen vehicles without any kind of Parking Passes, Media Passes, "MINT 400 STAFF" or any other type of something that would grant them proper access.
8- At one point, we counted over thirty vehicles such as ours parked outside that had Parking Passes properly attached to the outside of the top right of our windshields....
9- The parking staff did NOTHING to properly see that vehicles parked appropriately. If vehicles were to park appropriately, there would have been so many more spots available to all. See, what they need to do is park vehicles by hand one at a time just like they do at theme parks ECT. Instead, they are relying on the Honor system. And if we all know one thing, it's that today's society only cares about themselves..."As long as I gets mines.
Yes, I have had this conversation with officials of both entities after races in the past. There is a solution. I don't know why they won't help.
10- There are ways to help. I once again will be bringing this up, along with a plethora of pictures to the heads of the organization's.
11- A friend told us the Parking Staff at other areas were awesome, helping people park, letting people know when they were taking up more room than they need ect....
12- I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. We need more people to stand up and say enough is enough. We have been attending motorsports in this area since 1979. The Mint is a special event that we all wait for every year. The racing is great. But the ignorance displayed by many are ruining it for the rest.
Regardless if many on here agree with my statements written here today, it is the truth of what's going on. Like I've said before, I've tried to communicate in a proper manner. Yet another year goes by, and all I see is the problem getting worse not better.
Thank you for taking the time to hear me out.

Last edited:

Kilian

_
Reaction
Sounds like we need sit down and have a beer.. Go ahead and call my cell phone at 517.643.1179.

Kilian

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
I will second all of the above from Mr tooltime. There is no need to go have a beer, this may be why MadMedia decided to over sell this area once again. (Greed, decision after having to many beers). We arrived at 6:40 and there were 5 spots left with a line of cars pretty much rolling through all dam day. (Personally I would have only came for the afternoon race if I knew my parking spot would be there for me) Like us many had several pass in there right hand windshield like you posted on line. The Dog Rule was not enforced and got unsafe and out of hand. I clipped my 9M to my belt in preperation I might have to put one or more of them down, as several of these drunkin dog owners (Large Dogs with drunk owners with stupid long leashes) had little respect for your online posted rule's or others in the area. I witnessed them rushing at least 4 people! Complained to your TEMP to Hire employees. The only people to read your rules were the ticket buyers, not all the people loaded in the Truck/cars. Besides your Greed for overselling the area, we purchased 2 passes, for areas 2-4 you even had the gull to indicate on line that the area would be oversold, stupid me! Couldn't leave and move to area 2 to watch some different action as we didn't want to walk in as we knew there would not be a parking spot. The overselling created a constant flow of traffic through the area. This created a un-safe environment as many Drunk people almost got ran over.
Not Next Year, Done! Cluster F---

tooltime

Reaction
Mr Evans Motorsports, I too have my CCW, and did make the long trip to my truck to strap up because I was feeling a bit uneasy and wanted to protect my family. It's a sad state when we feel it's coming to this. We must have been in close proximity I feel. Good to know I was near like minded folks. I think we are done too. Every year down at tech, we are sure to contribute our fair share at the Official Mint apparel trailer for our yearly ware, especially for the 50th. We even purchased items from vendors as well. Heck, I could have parked at the hotel for free, rode the shuttle and sat where I did and not pay 75.00 for three parking passes.

mp_tx

Reaction
Curious to see the outcome of this. Sounds like mad media needs a logistics officer to help manage the show. Maybe it’s grown beyond the span of control of mad media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tooltime

Reaction
Curious to see the outcome of this. Sounds like mad media needs a logistics officer to help manage the show. Maybe it’s grown beyond the span of control of mad media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point.

bajarex1600

Reaction
We had the same issues last year. Same reasons we did not attend this year. Bought our parking passes, got there later in the day (thinking we had CAR spots guaranteed) and no, they did not let us go in with our two trucks with legit parking passes. Got in several fights with the officials until a group of people let us put our canopy and stuff next to one of their cars. We ended up leaving our trucks outside of the spectating area and had to carry our coolers, grills, canopy, food, etc. to the spot this group of fans let us have. Not going back again to watch this race until this is fixed. I would much rather go to MX to really get the full spectating experience.

racinteach

Reaction
Good thing I stayed home and watched the live stream, you know the one where the poor host had no live real time info and had to ask people to text them what they saw. You know with all this tech we have, a spotter with a radio could have been helpful to let them know, hey so and so is coming in hot....

JDDurfey

Reaction
What are you trying to say? Don't understand your reply.

Don't take the bait. There was a massive argument a few weeks ago about the fact that it is not the "50th running of the Mint 400". But it is the "50th Anniversary" of the original Mint 400.

I hope they can improve things for next year.

sb4pro

Reaction
Don't take the bait. There was a massive argument a few weeks ago about the fact that it is not the "50th running of the Mint 400". But it is the "50th Anniversary" of the original Mint 400.

I hope they can improve things for next year.
Pretty sure he’s the same assclown that was in the YouTube webcast chat too :rolleyes:
Doesn’t matter anyway . Let’s stick to the subject of the thread and make the Mint enjoyable for ALL .

J Prich

Reaction
Obviously the primary problem lies in Spectator 4...the transmission alley spot. There seems to be ample room at the Quarry and the Knight Ranch Road crossing and no one ever really says much about the other one down by the gravel deal.

People taking advantage of the situation, particularly at transmission alley where everyone wants to be, was just a matter of time. More vigilant enforcement there will probably be necessary because some people are lame and don't care about things like rules, respect, integrity, etc. In fact, those sorts of people are a big part of the reason why we can't spectate in open desert in general. Because some percentage of the population can't be trusted to act rationally and reasonably so we have to lock down everyone.

From a 30,000 foot view, nothing that's been brought up here is unsolvable and in fact can probably be fixed fairly simply. To Mad Media's credit each iteration of the Mint has been part of a continuing element of evolution with new pieces being added, etc. For the last few years people complained about the lack of any live coverage and race tracking. This year they took a stab at it (probably with significant financial investment required) and provided some stuff they've never done before...that you don't really see at any other desert race aside from KOH. So to keep it in perspective, last year there wasn't this kind of coverage at all and people complained. Now they've taken the leap to create at and...people complain. "Yeah streaming coverage but...".

Many of these changes/innovations have happened because people have expressed opinions/concerns/complaints about them in the past so it's obvious that the Mad Media folks are listening. Instead of defecating all over them for adding new things that were 70% effective instead of 100% effective, maybe we could be a little less critical and appreciate the effort it took just to get to 70% and be a little more constructive in how to fix the remaining 30%.

pinned24/7

Reaction
I agree with tooltime as well. My father and I have stayed at spectator area 4 for the last 5 or 6 years I believe. Year after year it gets worse and worse, which is the reason we didn't make the trip out there this year. Dogs, RC cars, stereos blaring, fights, double/triple parking, BLM getting involved, etc. It really isn't a first come, first serve bases,either. We would get up at 4:30am, only to have others show up right before the afternoon race,walk from the street, and put up an EZ Up right in front of us.
It doesn't make spectating too enjoyable when you have to deal with these things. Not sure ill ever go back.

AZ7000'

Reaction
More vigilant enforcement there will probably be necessary because some people are lame and don't care about things like rules, respect, integrity, etc. In fact, those sorts of people are a big part of the reason why we can't spectate in open desert in general. QUOTE]

Well said

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Spectators have always been a major problem for the off-road racing community. Granted the overwhelming majority of fans are well behaved, there still always seems to be a sizable percentage of the fan base who trash the desert, refuse to obey the rules, get hammered and generally behave like morons. I think part of the problem stems from the culture of the desert enthusiasts, they are hearty, independent bunch who enjoy escaping the civilized norms, don't take orders from authority well and have a large amount of hatred towards the Federal Government (not a great recipe when you are trying to organize a race on Federal lands). I can tell you the Martelli's are not making a ton of money off spectators and its probably a bigger hassle organizing than its worth, they have fought hard to get what they have.

At the end of the day though most of what was described can be fixed with more money however we can't fix stupid and time after time, race after race the desert community always seems to have a few stupid people who ruin it for the masses. We want to really fix the problem start educating the next generation to follow the rules, not just at the races, but at all times in the desert and this needs to come not just from parents but promoters, clubs, enthusiasts, influencers, brands and social outlets, anyone who has a vested stake in the sport we all love as we really make it too easy for those who want to end our rights out there sometimes. This sounds like another perfect example of it.

Robin Hood

Reaction
I think part of the problem stems from the culture of the desert enthusiasts, they are hearty, independent bunch who enjoy escaping the civilized norms, don't take orders from authority well and have a large amount of hatred towards the Federal Government (not a great recipe when you are trying to organize a race on Federal lands).

I understand what you are saying but I don't agree with this being the "culture of desert enthusiasts". Personally, I think this statement does harm to our sport and is a completely false characterization of our culture.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
It's better in Baja.

No parking passes. No spectator passes. The would it should be.