An open plea to Martelli bros., BITD or anyone willing to make a change

sb4pro

Reaction
Make it an alcohol free event or have 1 section just for alcohol where you have to buy the beer from a vendor with a 2 drink per purchase per person limit ( that way it’s at least regulated a lil ) . They do it that way at most stick and ball stadiums as well as nascar . Make all the other sections as family friendly . That would solve 1/2 the problem cause if the wannabe fans can’t drink they won’t show up . Yes I know some of you are gonna say well “ just cause they wanna drink why does that make them wannabe fans “ , well it’s very simple a REAL fan will go and watch the race anyway while a wannabe is there just to drink and party . I ain’t saying it’s the end all beat all solution but it would cut down some of the numbers and leave room for us fans who actually appreciate the PRIVILEGE of getting to watch the sport we love .

Last edited:

tooltime

Reaction
Casey was never a fan of spectating or outside support, which is actually pretty awesome but the over hyped mint marketing crew persuaded him with $$$$ and year after year they let those who think they are going to watch some awesome racing down, sounds like this year no different. The thread from last year should have been revived or the year before or the year before that. Its a pattern.

Go to vegas to gamble, hangout, etc...dont go to watch an offroad race unless youre insde the race car or in a helicopter.
If that's actually true about Casey not liking spectating then that's the wrong message to send as well and here is why.
This sport we all so passionately love is once again caught up between growing up and becoming main stream and staying small grass roots. There are many real Professional Race teams out there where this is their livelihood. They employ personnel who put food on their tables and this is their full time job. There are all the awesome vendors making the wheels, tires and chassis parts we all buy and use. Don't forget some of these big corporate sponsors who put up big money to sponsor a team. They rely heavily on spectator exposure. Look back in the 90's when the deserts started closing. The manufactures couldn't properly showcase their brand, Ford, Chevy, Dodge ect. So when the deserts started closing to us spectators, what did the big three do? They went right to the Nascar Craftsman truck series to showcase their brands. Walker Evans built trucks. Jim Venable built trucks and put Rob Mac behind the wheel. Or was it Jim Smith that put Rob Mac behind the wheel? Anyway, look what happened then to our sport. Aside from the class 1 cars and lower classes, there was little or no more big three support. So we need to figure out a balance. A balance to attract more corporate sponsors and big names. A balance to continue to support the lower classes. And the balance of allowing spectators in to view the products in action. It would stink to see the likes of Red Bull, Rock star, Toyota ect. walk away yet again. We all love our sport. Let's figure out a way to make it happen. More and stricter enforcement. You get a Parking Pass with a serial number on it. You need to show I.D. and have your sticker 100% affixed and have the attendants Mark you off a list. Then and only then will you be allowed into any parking area. No in and out privileges, just like at a hockey game. What and who is in your car when you arrive, is what you keep inside. And none of this shuttle bus drop off game either. No drive thru. No name on list, no serialized parking pass matching your I.D., no enrty. Sorry pal, try again next year. Then will you see a much more appropriate event. Oh yeah, and if you show up with animals, you don't get in. So sorry charlie. You should have read the rules.....
And yes, I 100% feel spots should be numbered and you park there. But if not numbered, then the parking attendants park us one at a time back to back just like at theme parks such as Disney. They guide you right into your spot .So if you want to park with your friends, go in single file. It doesn't sound hard.
Lastly, have BLM or security or whomever roam the parking areas making sure people keep their passes attached where they belong. Parking Pass missing, oh well. Sorry Charlie, it's time for you to go and we are going to flag your pass serial number .

Last edited:

AZ7000'

Reaction
Could it be as simple as numbering parking spots and just selling for individual spots? Like seats at a sporting event?

Or at an NFL/NASCAR tailgate party? Front row parking for a premium cost right behind the space for chairs, pick it on a map and buy the spot. Off duty Cops hired and the jack asses will tone it down...

tooltime

Reaction
I was at Spec 4 also and witnessed all that you are talking about. SAD that all don't pay attention to the rules BUT I also read where there is no "Weapons" allowed in the Spec area's. So I guess even you guys didn't pay attention to ALL the rules. I was one of the guys who "triple" parked but I asked the parking attendant if I could pull forward and block myself in with my buddies car "No worries, it's up to you". We DID all have passes attached to our cars though. One thing I've learned is if you want to park next to the fence, you better get there early. I got there about 7:00 and there was only about 10 spots left before the end. Live and learn, wasn't your typical race crowd there this year I noticed.
True sir. I'm licensed to have my weapon. True it says no weapons. Mine was actually locked in my truck safe until things were getting crazy. No matter what, I will choose to protect my family before all else. Also, being trained, if things were to get any worse, yes, we were going to leave. And that is being a responsible person.

Big Whitey

Reaction
Here's an idea: just kick the assholes out and don't ruin it for the rest of us.
I wish it were that simple, I race a class 5 and when I can’t afford to race I try to come down and volunteer. It’s not very likely that the ignorant drunk dipshit with his dog and or all they’re drunk buddies are going to listen to a guy in a shiny safety vest. And I am not pulling any of my firearms out just to convince that group to leave.

tooltime

Reaction
Agreed. That's the job of the BLM or the governing law enforcement agency.

Last edited:

buckwild

Reaction
As a spectator I just want to add my issue with the winners stage. I came to the stage expecting to cheer on the winners but what I saw instead was the whole viewing section reserved for VIP. We spectators were regulated to cheer from the sides of the VIP area. To me I felt like they didn't care about the spectators anymore and only concerned with VIPs and their money. I left after only a few interviews not because of the rain but because I was that agitated.
I was one of the people that was stupid enough to buy a VIP pass and let me tell you it was the worst experience ever between Rick Johnson and the other douchebag announcer they would not shut up the stage was so big you couldn't see any of the race I finally said screw I couldn't listen to any more of those announcers so we got our own beer and went over to the Dyke jump. I will never buy a VIP pass again Giant waste of money and and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way because there was people wearing VIP badges they were spectating everywhere but the VIP section cuz it sucked

vegasloki

Reaction
Wholly cow. Now we're talkin. Integrity, Values and Morals..... That my friends is a lost art.
Agree with many posters here. There are in my opinion economical ways to fix these issues. I would be open to a round table with the powers that be to help be part of the solution .

You have some thoughtful, reasoned, well expressed posts. Who let you in here?... :eek::D

I think both BITD and Mad Media are operating to the the full capacity of their respective skill sets and depth of experience. The race was run pretty well it seems (save for some staging issues) and the events, coverage and promotion of the race was big time. Both companies should be proud of what they've accomplished. Large scale event management isn't in their quiver of tricks. Not yet anyway. It's a whole different animal than promoting a race or being a media company. Every year they learn and most issues seem to be solved or at least better the next year.

Looking at the big events, not only here in town but all over the world, there is a much larger police and security presence. I don't know if there are enough BLM to hire as overtime security but that's something Metro does all the time. For many events you are required to have a minimum number. If people feel they need to carry a weapon for safety something has gone wrong and the issue needs to be addressed. There are plenty of people in town that could be consulted to prepare for the kind of event management/security something like this needs. We're one big brawl away from being under the microscope.

There is a great deal of support for the event in town. It makes money for the locals and people have fun. That's what we sell here. If we didn't we'd be Baker without the big ass thermometer. The event will be able to find the support and expertise to make the spectator experience best of breed. The solution will include more security and heightened access control to the areas. Many will complain but I think most of those complaining are the ones that are causing the situation in the first place. If they don't like it or think it's better in Baja they can choose not to come and go to Baja.

tooltime

Reaction
You my friend have hit the nail on the head. Agree on all points hit in your post 100%. It was a great race, and a great week. Let's iron out the little things and truly make this event the major event that it really is.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
If that's actually true about Casey not liking spectating then that's the wrong message to send as well and here is why.
This sport we all so passionately love is once again caught up between growing up and becoming main stream and staying small grass roots. There are many real Professional Race teams out there where this is their livelihood. They employ personnel who put food on their tables and this is their full time job. There are all the awesome vendors making the wheels, tires and chassis parts we all buy and use. Don't forget some of these big corporate sponsors who put up big money to sponsor a team. They rely heavily on spectator exposure. Look back in the 90's when the deserts started closing. The manufactures couldn't properly showcase their brand, Ford, Chevy, Dodge ect. So when the deserts started closing to us spectators, what did the big three do? They went right to the Nascar Craftsman truck series to showcase their brands. Walker Evans built trucks. Jim Venable built trucks and put Rob Mac behind the wheel. Or was it Jim Smith that put Rob Mac behind the wheel? Anyway, look what happened then to our sport. Aside from the class 1 cars and lower classes, there was little or no more big three support. So we need to figure out a balance. A balance to attract more corporate sponsors and big names. A balance to continue to support the lower classes. And the balance of allowing spectators in to view the products in action. It would stink to see the likes of Red Bull, Rock star, Toyota ect. walk away yet again. We all love our sport. Let's figure out a way to make it happen. More and stricter enforcement. You get a Parking Pass with a serial number on it. You need to show I.D. and have your sticker 100% affixed and have the attendants Mark you off a list. Then and only then will you be allowed into any parking area. No in and out privileges, just like at a hockey game. What and who is in your car when you arrive, is what you keep inside. And none of this shuttle bus drop off game either. No drive thru. No name on list, no serialized parking pass matching your I.D., no enrty. Sorry pal, try again next year. Then will you see a much more appropriate event. Oh yeah, and if you show up with animals, you don't get in. So sorry charlie. You should have read the rules.....
And yes, I 100% feel spots should be numbered and you park there. But if not numbered, then the parking attendants park us one at a time back to back just like at theme parks such as Disney. They guide you right into your spot .So if you want to park with your friends, go in single file. It doesn't sound hard.
Lastly, have BLM or security or whomever roam the parking areas making sure people keep their passes attached where they belong. Parking Pass missing, oh well. Sorry Charlie, it's time for you to go and we are going to flag your pass serial number .
I don't think Casey so much hated spectators, as he may have loathed having another function to deal with on race day. Before the current system sometimes policing these areas fell on course workers or rescue personnel. Pulling them away from what function they are out there to perform. I agree with many of the things stated above. The biggest issue would be the hired security enforcing rules. I can see however after a little bit of push back them deciding they don't make enough to deal with the attitudes and disrespect that may come from the drunk spectators or just plain disrespectful people. A pass through by a ranger to help with the enforcement is what may be needed. Once we set a precedent and are strict with rules, then enforcement will not be an issue.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I remember that there were always PLENTY of BLM officers from many parts of the country enforcing the rules and regs at the SCORE Laughlin races. Seems they were able to do it then...

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Mad media thinks they own the desert and sounds to me they are a pretty big portion of this issue if they are the ones selling the spec passes.

Mad Media is 100% the “issue” with there being so many competitors and spectators at the Mint 400.

cubed

Reaction
Based on my personal interactions with both, I would much rather see LV Metro working the crowds than the BLM......

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
True sir. I'm licensed to have my weapon. True it says no weapons. Mine was actually locked in my truck safe until things were getting crazy. No matter what, I will choose to protect my family before all else. Also, being trained, if things were to get any worse, yes, we were going to leave. And that is being a responsible person.

I also have a 9 but chose to leave it at home which is my decision and I REALLY wanted to bring it. Not knocking you for bringing yours but probably should have stayed in your truck. I mean are we really going to bust a cap in a couple drunk dudes? Come get me and I'll help you give them a few knots lol! Shoot a foo and just think how fast spectating gets shut down. That kid with his RC was annoying though. Live and learn right? See you at the next one.

Beer free zones except a few chosen spectator spots from Mad Media that have beer gardens for profit.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
When SNORE brought back the Mint . I remember some saying (people that have been in our sport for generations) at our board of directors meeting. Be careful how big it becomes. It could also cause the end of off road racing as we know it if were to get out of hand. I use to think bigger is better but not so sure now. There needs to be a balance between making money and preserving our sport. Roast me if you want but I am entitled to my opinion.

ACME

Reaction
Spectators have always been a major problem for the off-road racing community. Granted the overwhelming majority of fans are well behaved, there still always seems to be a sizable percentage of the fan base who trash the desert, refuse to obey the rules, get hammered and generally behave like morons. I think part of the problem stems from the culture of the desert enthusiasts, they are hearty, independent bunch who enjoy escaping the civilized norms, don't take orders from authority well and have a large amount of hatred towards the Federal Government (not a great recipe when you are trying to organize a race on Federal lands). I can tell you the Martelli's are not making a ton of money off spectators and its probably a bigger hassle organizing than its worth, they have fought hard to get what they have.

At the end of the day though most of what was described can be fixed with more money however we can't fix stupid and time after time, race after race the desert community always seems to have a few stupid people who ruin it for the masses. We want to really fix the problem start educating the next generation to follow the rules, not just at the races, but at all times in the desert and this needs to come not just from parents but promoters, clubs, enthusiasts, influencers, brands and social outlets, anyone who has a vested stake in the sport we all love as we really make it too easy for those who want to end our rights out there sometimes. This sounds like another perfect example of it.

Some of your comments make too much sense, in theory. Educating the mentally challenged participants and spectators has been tried numerous times but ignored. Facts:

1) Every time people have tried to educate people or get them involved it falls on deaf ears and the cool kids of the community don't want to hear it or have their parade rained on.

2) If the Ballers/Icons/Rockstars and 99% of the businesses that derive an income, plus all but 2 of the organizations in the community don't care enough to get involved to better the sport or make a statement (and they have been begged numerous times) it must not be an issue.

As far as an "Off Road Culture" it's kind of offensive to those that don't want to be lumped in with the new era turdburglars. It's a great media marketing term that I'd bet even money on that no one racing, prior to the instafacegram era was even used by anyone in the community...

Seems the current off road culture is to complain, post then stuff your head in the sand... Party on!

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
Some of your comments make too much sense, in theory. Educating the mentally challenged participants and spectators has been tried numerous times but ignored. Facts:

1) Every time people have tried to educate people or get them involved it falls on deaf ears and the cool kids of the community don't want to hear it or have their parade rained on.

2) If the Ballers/Icons/Rockstars and 99% of the businesses that derive an income, plus all but 2 of the organizations in the community don't care enough to get involved to better the sport or make a statement (and they have been begged numerous times) it must not be an issue.

As far as an "Off Road Culture" it's kind of offensive to those that don't want to be lumped in with the new era turdburglars. It's a great media marketing term that I'd bet even money on that no one racing, prior to the instafacegram era was even used by anyone in the community...

Seems the current off road culture is to complain, post then stuff your head in the sand... Party on!

You forgot to add...... "BRO" to the end of that!

J Prich

Reaction
Here's an idea: just kick the assholes out and don't ruin it for the rest of us.
This is what we need!
When SNORE brought back the Mint . I remember some saying (people that have been in our sport for generations) at our board of directors meeting. Be careful how big it becomes. It could also cause the end of off road racing as we know it if were to get out of hand. I use to think bigger is better but not so sure now. There needs to be a balance between making money and preserving our sport. Roast me if you want but I am entitled to my opinion.

This is a bit too dramatic in my opinion. The Mint itself and the entirety of the sport are not in jeopardy here. The lack of organization for staging the second heat and some low integrity people doing unsavory stuff in 1 out of 4 spectator areas is not an indicator that the sky is falling. Neither issue is overly complicated to solve and neither is a show stopper on any level.

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
I also have a 9 but chose to leave it at home which is my decision and I REALLY wanted to bring it. Not knocking you for bringing yours but probably should have stayed in your truck. I mean are we really going to bust a cap in a couple drunk dudes? Come get me and I'll help you give them a few knots lol! Shoot a foo and just think how fast spectating gets shut down. That kid with his RC was annoying though. Live and learn right? See you at the next one.

Beer free zones except a few chosen spectator spots from Mad Media that have beer gardens for profit.

FYI i don"t believe anyone was planing on or going to bust a cap in a drunk dude or chick, It was the issue of there dogs (Large dogs at that) that were charging spectators and other dogs. Very inconsiderate of the owners, the leashes were very long 20-25 feet or no leashes at all. I was there with my daughter in law, son and grandson. I as well went to my truck and armed myself. After reading this thread and seeing others did the same, they to felt threatened! I saw 2 people talk to security point at the animals, who did nothing. They security may have been intermediate by the size of the group the person was addressing who had 2 of the 4 dogs in the area. Oh drunk dudes and drunk chicks blasting there music, dancing in the dirt with dogs running a-muck.