An open plea to Martelli bros., BITD or anyone willing to make a change

pinned24/7

Reaction
Yup, it would solve several problems if the people enforcing the rules at the areas was some sort of law enforcement agency. BLM, LVPD, whoever it may be. Someone that can arrest, write tickets, etc. A volunteer can try, but they have no authority and they are outnumbered.
Few years back there was an issue that was causing multiple people to say something. It went unsolved for a few hours. As soon as BLM showed up and addressed the situation, it stopped. As soon as they left, the issue was back again.

vegasloki

Reaction
When SNORE brought back the Mint . I remember some saying (people that have been in our sport for generations) at our board of directors meeting. Be careful how big it becomes. It could also cause the end of off road racing as we know it if were to get out of hand. I use to think bigger is better but not so sure now. There needs to be a balance between making money and preserving our sport. Roast me if you want but I am entitled to my opinion.

No roast but that's a bit of an over reaction. The issue is they aren't employing methods that are standard for crowd control, access and security at an event of this nature. Much bigger and rowdier events are held in town with no issues. Hire the right contractors and the right person to manage it and it will be fine.

As far as an "Off Road Culture" it's kind of offensive to those that don't want to be lumped in with the new era turdburglars.

A culture is made up of the general traits, feelings and behavior of a specific group of people. Regardless of any name there is a culture specific to off road. Just as there is a culture specific to drag racers, or circle track or most anything. He's not saying everyone does that it's just that some take it to an extreme where it negatively impacts other people.

Some of these aren't people new to the sport. They are old timers that don't like the way things are heading. They don't like not having free run of the desert. They don't like that it's become a big media event. They don't like UTVs. They don't like new people coming to the sport but then brag about how the regular guy can race at the same time as the big timers. By and large though the people that I have met in off road over the last several years and also working V2R last time were pleasant, stand up folks. There are though a fair amount that are miserable sods and if they were to choose not to participate it would make things better for others.

Frank13

Reaction
For anyone not wanting to deal with Spectator Area’s. Sign up and Volunteer with BITD as a course worker. Best spectating there is. They take good care of their volunteers. & doesn’t cost you any money.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Broncodawg

Reaction
For anyone not wanting to deal with Spectator Area’s. Sign up and Volunteer with BITD as a course worker. Best spectating there is. They take good care of their volunteers. & doesn’t cost you any money.

Best post of this thread. Course working may be a long day but the adrenaline rush of racers passing each other right in front of you rocks. No better way to see a race and there's always positions available. See you all at Vegas to Reno.

green787

Reaction
A certain percentage of people don't show up that buy tickets... That's why promoters "over sell".... carry on...

Total Loss

Reaction
Sounds like I made the right choice.
My team was going to race but did not get the entry in time.
I made the decision- no pit pass...no spectator for me.
Watched it from home on the computer...doing whatever I wanted to.

bajarex1600

Reaction
A certain percentage of people don't show up that buy tickets... That's why promoters "over sell".... carry on...

So? that is part of the issue. They are greedy. They should have a certain number of spots, sell them, and if some don't show up so what? they already got their money. Better for the ones that do show up as it wouldn't be as crowded and we could just go in whenever we want to our PAID GUARANTEED spot and not have to worry about it.

J Prich

Reaction
I'm baffled at how many people think Mad Media is somehow Scrooge McDucking all the money by selling some parking passes. My guess is the revenue generated from parking pass sales is entirely disproportionate to the amount of time and energy spent on setting it up, managing it, and dealing with it.

There are 4...count them 4... spectators areas for the Mint. That's not including the start line and dyke jump. In ONE of them, people have started taking advantage of the system and acting like a holes...and everyone wants to be mad at Mad Media but not at the people who are acting like a holes?

Maybe they should just go back to the old way and not have any spectator areas at all. I'm sure no one would complain then...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Prich, good points, except, it appears that this isn't the first, or the second year that issues have come up, but, instead of something being done to reduce them, it seems they are only getting worse. If a promoter is charging for a product, like a safe parking and viewing area, and has been told there are issues with it, shouldn't the promoter do something to fix those issues? I agree with being mad at the a$$holes who are being a$$holes, but are you then saying those mad at them should have to fix that problem themselves?

J Prich

Reaction
Prich, good points, except, it appears that this isn't the first, or the second year that issues have come up, but, instead of something being done to reduce them, it seems they are only getting worse. If a promoter is charging for a product, like a safe parking and viewing area, and has been told there are issues with it, shouldn't the promoter do something to fix those issues? I agree with being mad at the a$$holes who are being a$$holes, but are you then saying those mad at them should have to fix that problem themselves?

No not at all. I 100% agree that Mad Media needs to take more action to prevent this stuff from happening in that spectator area. I was out there personally in the afternoon last year for a a few hours and didn't see stuff "this bad" but I absolutely believe the complaints here are valid. And it will get worse each year because people adapt. If there is a loophole, more and more will continue to exploit it.

So whatever the fix is...individual numbered spaces, legit law enforcement patrol, etc...that's going to need to happen and Mad Media needs to own that. Based on past history I am pretty optimistic that they will. I'm just saying the outrage or whatever expressed by some is way over the top and is more reflective of some personal biases and feelings about Mad Media and the Mint in general than the actual situation at hand.

Like I said before, this is not a complicated fix.

tooltime

Reaction
I also have a 9 but chose to leave it at home which is my decision and I REALLY wanted to bring it. Not knocking you for bringing yours but probably should have stayed in your truck. I mean are we really going to bust a cap in a couple drunk dudes? Come get me and I'll help you give them a few knots lol! Shoot a foo and just think how fast spectating gets shut down. That kid with his RC was annoying though. Live and learn right? See you at the next one.

Beer free zones except a few chosen spectator spots from Mad Media that have beer gardens for profit.
I agree. My wife and out of town company who flew in just for this event wanted to leave. I really debated about grabbing my concealed weapon, as many of you know, it's not something to take lightly. It's an increased level of commitment that those who are properly trained must consider anytime he or she decides to wear it. It's both stressful and depressing at the same time, knowing or at least feeling things are turning ugly. Society as a whole is much to blame. People today have so much less compassion towards their fellow man that its really a sad commentary. The way society is today is not the way I was raised, nor the way my children are being raised. I just don't get it.

buckwild

Reaction
The mint 400 needs to be a 2-day race it would relieve a lot of The Spectator problems have the fast guys race on Saturday and the slow guys race on Sunday or vice versa

tooltime

Reaction

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
Funny you say that. We, for a moment thought about this but came to a few conclusions. One, you are there to work to keep the integrity of the race in tact. Two, you are working to keep the racers safe. Three, if you are working, then I would guess the consumption of alcoholic beverages would be a no no. Four, with many other types of motorsports ,children under the age of 18 are not allowed for insurance reasons and their safety. Five, I considered it, but then for the reasons above, thought against it.
On a side note, I have made three or four different attempts to join the Motorsports safety team. I have years of responder experience and a well equipped vehicle. However none of my attempts of trying to communicate with that group has fallen on deaf ears each and every time. It is what it is I guess.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
The mint 400 needs to be a 2-day race it would relieve a lot of The Spectator problems have the fast guys race on Saturday and the slow guys race on Sunday or vice versa

Heavy on the 'vice versa.' I think the proper vernacular is 'limited classes' and unlimited 'classes' but I get, and agree with your point.

Frank13

Reaction
Funny you say that. We, for a moment thought about this but came to a few conclusions. One, you are there to work to keep the integrity of the race in tact. Two, you are working to keep the racers safe. Three, if you are working, then I would guess the consumption of alcoholic beverages would be a no no. Four, with many other types of motorsports ,children under the age of 18 are not allowed for insurance reasons and their safety. Five, I considered it, but then for the reasons above, thought against it.
On a side note, I have made three or four different attempts to join the Motorsports safety team. I have years of responder experience and a well equipped vehicle. However none of my attempts of trying to communicate with that group has fallen on deaf ears each and every time. It is what it is I guess.

It’s quite easy work that has to be done. Just write car numbers down as they go by, and radio in broken cars you see to relay. Other than that, put your feet up and enjoy the race. You also get the racers who pull in with problems & get to help fix their cars. Kids are definitely welcome, there is a minor form that can be filled out. The beer thing is correct though. But sometimes if you get a spot early in the race, you can usually crack one open around noon.

As far as the Medic thing I would contact Medic Dave. Would be awesome to have another medical vehicle out there.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

vegasloki

Reaction

So Baldwin would race on Sunday then?...

DOH!!!!! :eek::p:D