An open plea to Martelli bros., BITD or anyone willing to make a change

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
I wont go into specifics until it is appropriate and they are solidified but the comments from everyone are being looked at for ways we can improve. Make no mistake. Planning for the 2019 Mint 400 was underway months ago. Every year, Mad Media looks at what they do and tries to improve aspects of it. For instance, Traffic directors and security staff were in place before 4am this year. I dont know what happened to them though when the second race went to start though because Primm was chaos unlike before. Best in the Desert has a meeting with key staff as well to take things that need fixed on the operational side of the race and there are several, and address them.

From what I know of 2019, you will all be extremely happy with the changes coming.

Keep the criticism and suggestions coming. It will be worth it...

4seater

Reaction
I had spec 4 parking pass last year and wasn’t able to get in at 8am in the morning sounds like nothing has changed since last year. This year I went to spec 3 and it was ok, probably one of the smaller areas for sure. While I was there I thought why can’t they have crews come out a couple weeks before and temporarily put up grandstands at each spec area, keep the fence lines open so everyone can see the track, have the parking behind the stands and have a few food trucks or beer stands available if needed I know there would be added cost for sure which sucks but just throwing out ideas.

I like the wrist band idea if it was limited to a certain number and you have to have one to get into the stand or the designated spec area you bought it for

Spec 4 seems to be the most popular out of them all, can it be opened up more to make more room for parking or look into opening more spec areas like down by the dry like bed or a area down by the gold strike heading back to main pit

What about a spec parking pass that could get you into all 4 spec area instead of buying ones individually ? Maybe people would bounce around more to free up parking spots at other spec areas

I really like the Mint 400 experience but the whole spec parking thing needs to get handled some how, some way before next year

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I have a serious question- As some have pointed out, adding another day to the 'event' would mean more volunteers volunteering their time to 'work' for the event. Some of the volunteers are actually paid for their time and others do it because they simply love the sport. As any 'event' grows in size, it requires more time and labor force and it appears that is what is needed here to fix some of the problems. So, if the 'event' is growing, then I would assume the City of Las Vegas is also seeing an increase in revenues from those who attend the 'event'. Sounds like the solution is financial assistance from those benefiting from what the race brings so they can start paying for labor.

J Prich

Reaction
I have a serious question- As some have pointed out, adding another day to the 'event' would mean more volunteers volunteering their time to 'work' for the event. Some of the volunteers are actually paid for their time and others do it because they simply love the sport. As any 'event' grows in size, it requires more time and labor force and it appears that is what is needed here to fix some of the problems. So, if the 'event' is growing, then I would assume the City of Las Vegas is also seeing an increase in revenues from those who attend the 'event'. Sounds like the solution is financial assistance from those benefiting from what the race brings so they can start paying for labor.
I get what you're saying, but does the city do this for any of the other events that they host? SEMA, NFR, etc? Obviously the city benefits from the tons of conventions and events that happen here but I would assume they don't contribute financially or otherwise to those events do they?

Fourstroker

Reaction

I'm guessing with adding motos/quads next year it will no doubt be a multi day race

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I get what you're saying, but does the city do this for any of the other events that they host? SEMA, NFR, etc? Obviously the city benefits from the tons of conventions and events that happen here but I would assume they don't contribute financially or otherwise to those events do they?
I know Laughlin paid for the SCORE races in some way, shape, or form. If the event is big enough, there has to chamber of commerce money or a business association group fund that is there specifically to help fund true big draw events that create income in cities. Maybe Vegas really doesn't need event draws anymore?

vegasloki

Reaction

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority along with Vegas Host provide a variety of support and financial contributions to events coming to town. The county controls most of the Las Vegas Valley. The city of LV proper is much smaller in comparison. For example the Strip isn't in the city of LV nor is the Convention Center.

The depth and scope of the participation of LVCA/Vegas Host depends on the size of the event. While the race events are big for off road in the big picture it's one of the smaller events in town. What gives the event juice is it's held in the day on East Fremont. LVCVA provides support in a number of ways. They don't however directly pay expenses related to the operation of your company. Methods can include sponsorship of events, co promotion, permitting, getting police and fire support and a number of other sweeteners. What you get depends on what you bring in terms of economic impact or the stature of the event. If you have Murren, Adelson or Reid in your corner most any good money making idea can be assisted in some form. Murren or Adelson can get more done than Sandoval or Heller. Make the right friends and you can get many doors opened or even kicked open if needed. The whole thing is paid for with room tax. You pay for it when you stay here. From the looks of it Mad already has what appears to be a good relationship with those they need to know.

Vegas Means Business

Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority

If a two day event and two day contingency is not economically sustainable from a personnel standpoint that's on the event organizers. What that means is the business model is not scaling to the event size by having to rely on volunteer personnel. That's BITD's problem and by extension Mad Media. If it's not sustainable and can't scale that large it can't happen. Business 101. I don't see the event out scaling volunteers. Not just yet. It's likely they'll need to add some paid positions if the expansion plans come to pass or at least be able to somehow subsidize the cost of people getting and staying here. Rumors of the pending death of the event are greatly exaggerated.

green787

Reaction
I think they should line the track with volunteers like they do in Mexico...!!!!

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
The difference with Spec 4 and the other 4 is simple. The other 4 got lucky and didn't have a little douche with an RC car, a couple dogs with owners with no respect for others and....... IT'S THE MOST POPULAR SPOT!. Next year we can easily be complaining about another spot. I'm sure MM will fix the situation. Now next year you all are going to be complaining to RDC that you were so restricted in what you could or couldn't do that now that sucks. Half the peeps half the time but not all the peeps all the time right. I for one will racing my bike next year and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!! :) 40+ EX CHAMP,, come get some HAHAHAHAHA

AZracefan

Reaction
I know it sounds crazy, but... do these Brofessional "spectators" really bring any value to the sport or just additional headaches? Why do we need them again? Other than bringing a dollars to the ticket sellers.

To the MINT lovers, I know it happens in Mexico as well but it's an open course down south so it's a different set of circumstances. Ironically Parker has the same racers (sans the UTV's) but seems better controlled and managed without inviting the fans in the paid spectator areas.

Maybe it's due to a different core management culture?
Only from experiencing both areas, while at Spec 4 I felt many fans were not familiar with the race, let alone the sport itself. Seemed like another reason for them to go to the desert to get drunk. I remember one year a group of people ran on course and grabbed the Red Bull signs off the track running away laughing. Although a handful of other fans were yelling over to get off the track, that wasnt enough, there was also no enforcment near by, or security that cared. In no way am I saying Parker doesn't have knuckle heads do stunts on course too, but this year at the cattle guard at least in our area, all the spectators seemed well behaved and were knowledgeable of the race and rules. Just a wild guess, Vegas being only minutes away does that bring thousands of new fans that are not familiar with race rules into these spectator areas? To me that's a perfect scenario for things to go wrong.

It could be that it's cheaper to hire one time use security for race day than to have actual real local law enforcement on site. I know from some friends on the departments, prior to the Parker 425, all local law enforcement agencies: CRIT Pd, Parker Pd, LPSCO, BLM etc... had meeting regarding crowd control and safety beginning Thursday with qualifying until late Saturday night/ Sunday morning. BITD was reporting 80,000 racers/fans for the entire weekend. I specated at the cattle guard(rm3) and there must have been 2 miles of vehicles parked with spectators, not including the additional miles of campers on the shea rd. Osborn wash area. If there was any issues with the spectators I didn' hear of many. However, there was law enforcement presence thoughtout the entire day, which may be a huge factor on spectator behaivor.

AZracefan

Reaction
The difference with Spec 4 and the other 4 is simple. The other 4 got lucky and didn't have a little douche with an RC car, a couple dogs with owners with no respect for others and....... IT'S THE MOST POPULAR SPOT!. Next year we can easily be complaining about another spot. I'm sure MM will fix the situation. Now next year you all are going to be complaining to RDC that you were so restricted in what you could or couldn't do that now that sucks. Half the peeps half the time but not all the peeps all the time right. I for one will racing my bike next year and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!! :) 40+ EX CHAMP,, come get some HAHAHAHAHA
Unfortunately, it's about the 5th year in a row with these same issues, maybe a 6th next year?? And I agree it is the most popular spectator spot, so why not assure the area is well maintained if it's going to be a hit every year?

willet

Reaction
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority along with Vegas Host provide a variety of support and financial contributions to events coming to town. The county controls most of the Las Vegas Valley. The city of LV proper is much smaller in comparison. For example the Strip isn't in the city of LV nor is the Convention Center...................

First off, I flew from VA to spectate the Mint. This was my second offroad race, I bought VIP, arrived at Primm at 0830, and it seemed like everything was running well from my angle. I had a great time and am looking forward to next year!

What vegasloki said is absolutely correct. I work in the Fire Department in a local government here in VA. Unless you are an event that draws many people, no city will straight up pay for an event to come. How they fund events is through in-kind contributions. It costs money to shut down roads, police/fire/EMS coverage, public works cleaning up trash etc. They can reduce these fees or work out a plan for sales taxes for the promoter if any. Plenty of ways to reduce the overall cost for the event, but you'd be hard pressed to get cash.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Did anyone get their room canceled that were reserved 6 months ago?

Mine did for the San Felipe 320 at Hotel El Cortez.

I should have gone to spec 4 lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AZFR8TRAIN

Reaction
Did anyone get their room canceled that were reserved 6 months ago?

Mine did for the San Felipe 320 at Hotel El Cortez.

I should have gone to spec 4 lol

It’s Mexico. Someone came in and just paid more so you got bumped out. We took our bags one race as you never know how long or where you might end up. Got back to hotel. Rooms were sold. To other people. As they told us oh we thought you checked out. Yes the rooms were paid for that night for us but they were gone.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
It’s Mexico. Someone came in and just paid more so you got bumped out. We took our bags one race as you never know how long or where you might end up. Got back to hotel. Rooms were sold. To other people. As they told us oh we thought you checked out. Yes the rooms were paid for that night for us but they were gone.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
I am well aware of Mexico.

The owners are having problems with their siblings according to previous posts.

I can easily buy someone else out but thats a shi!!y feeling

Robin Hood

Reaction
I wont go into specifics until it is appropriate and they are solidified but the comments from everyone are being looked at for ways we can improve. Make no mistake. Planning for the 2019 Mint 400 was underway months ago. Every year, Mad Media looks at what they do and tries to improve aspects of it. For instance, Traffic directors and security staff were in place before 4am this year. I dont know what happened to them though when the second race went to start though because Primm was chaos unlike before. Best in the Desert has a meeting with key staff as well to take things that need fixed on the operational side of the race and there are several, and address them.

From what I know of 2019, you will all be extremely happy with the changes coming.

Keep the criticism and suggestions coming. It will be worth it...

Can I get a registration form:)

ACME

Reaction
Only from experiencing both areas, while at Spec 4 I felt many fans were not familiar with the race, let alone the sport itself. Seemed like another reason for them to go to the desert to get drunk. I remember one year a group of people ran on course and grabbed the Red Bull signs off the track running away laughing. Although a handful of other fans were yelling over to get off the track, that wasnt enough, there was also no enforcment near by, or security that cared. In no way am I saying Parker doesn't have knuckle heads do stunts on course too, but this year at the cattle guard at least in our area, all the spectators seemed well behaved and were knowledgeable of the race and rules. Just a wild guess, Vegas being only minutes away does that bring thousands of new fans that are not familiar with race rules into these spectator areas? To me that's a perfect scenario for things to go wrong.

It could be that it's cheaper to hire one time use security for race day than to have actual real local law enforcement on site. I know from some friends on the departments, prior to the Parker 425, all local law enforcement agencies: CRIT Pd, Parker Pd, LPSCO, BLM etc... had meeting regarding crowd control and safety beginning Thursday with qualifying until late Saturday night/ Sunday morning. BITD was reporting 80,000 racers/fans for the entire weekend. I specated at the cattle guard(rm3) and there must have been 2 miles of vehicles parked with spectators, not including the additional miles of campers on the shea rd. Osborn wash area. If there was any issues with the spectators I didn' hear of many. However, there was law enforcement presence thoughtout the entire day, which may be a huge factor on spectator behaivor.

Great observations! We've all seen knuckleheads at every race and it's just a sad fact of life. In the case of this event, it seems the media is embracing this "Culture" and that is a contributing factor. If something is happening for the first 1-2 years it's learning, another 1-2 could be a mistake, continuing on is either due to either apathy or stupidity.

We once had apathy for making changes to certain aspects of an off road "culture", and we got the Cal 200

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Great observations! We've all seen knuckleheads at every race and it's just a sad fact of life. In the case of this event, it seems the media is embracing this "Culture" and that is a contributing factor. If something is happening for the first 1-2 years it's learning, another 1-2 could be a mistake, continuing on is either due to either apathy or stupidity.

Does anyone remember the Mint before two day contingency? Before 6100s qualified? Before the live stream and tracking? Before they even had parking passes?

It is unreasonable to expect every single thing to be fixed overnight (not that that stops anyone on RDC). The FACT is that Mad Media listens and this event gets better every single year. I’m sure changes to Spec 4 are on the to do list. If you expect perfection, you are going to be disappointed. But you don’t get to be the biggest desert race in America by doing a crappy job.