An open plea to Martelli bros., BITD or anyone willing to make a change

Reaction
What would people be willing to pay per head to pay for security, parking attendants, and port-a-potties?

All ages $10?

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
Guys, we are listening. As the event continues to grow we are committed to making it a better experience for everyone.

It's pretty darn good now! Bringing the bikes back is STELLAR. Always going to be a few rotten apples right. Keep doing a great job, we trust you. VIVA LA MINT!

ACME

Reaction
Serious,REAL paid security is not a 25 yr old guy with an event shirt who's career choice was this, or a temp staffing job at a warehouse...

I can see it now: Security dude: " Stop doing that", Knucklehead: "F' you Bro" and turns his back, Security dude walks away mumbling: "I aint getting my arse whooped for 8/Hr.

Fact is the effluence you want to mitigate, isn't going to listen to event security type folk. They will however listen to a on/off duty LEO.

If the show is the Big Boys and the knuckleheads are coming to see them, make them shoulder the burden of real security or don't promote the culture that invites them and encourages the issues...

biggjim

Reaction
I was going to buy a pass for #4. I have always been with a race team and over the last year I have not been pit support. I drug my feet in buying a pass and it was basically because I didnt want to deal with the yahoo's and didnt want to get up at 4 and be stuck there all day to have my truck and gear in that area. I'd have gladly paid triple the rate to get a GUARANTEED parking spot and could come and go as I pleased and not worry about losing my parking spot. IMO Mad Media should sell it this way, if I show up and my spot is # 10 I should get #10. If someone is there in 10 security would have to ask them to leave.

Mpc81

Reaction
I think you hit the nail on the head Sir. Mark the spots 1- however many there are and sell them just like a campground does. This ensures you have a spot. Groups can by together and park together no matter what time they get there. I’m there every year at 0430 but that is a little early for my wife with 2 kids under 3. Overall it is a great time in Spec 4, just needs a little tightening up and I think some paid LEO would solve the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

J Prich

Reaction
Serious,REAL paid security is not a 25 yr old guy with an event shirt who's career choice was this, or a temp staffing job at a warehouse...

I can see it now: Security dude: " Stop doing that", Knucklehead: "F' you Bro" and turns his back, Security dude walks away mumbling: "I aint getting my arse whooped for 8/Hr.

Fact is the effluence you want to mitigate, isn't going to listen to event security type folk. They will however listen to a on/off duty LEO.

If the show is the Big Boys and the knuckleheads are coming to see them, make them shoulder the burden of real security or don't promote the culture that invites them and encourages the issues...
Link to anything that quantifies Mad Media or anyone inviting and/or encouraging people to violate the rules and act a fool in spectator areas? Why are you trying so desperately to pin the primary responsibility for people breaking rules on anyone other than the people doing it in the first place?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Nice argument for argument's sake. The promoters have a responsibility to provide a safe and satisfying experience for those who paid to attend their event. They also have a responsibility to uphold the rules so others can enjoy what they paid for.

sb4pro

Reaction
What would people be willing to pay per head to pay for security, parking attendants, and port-a-potties?

All ages $10?
Even $20 would still be a bargain IF they had ALL of those . By security I mean actual LVPD or CCS , parking is pretty much you get what you get and potties are fine as long as there’s enough of them ;)

J Prich

Reaction
Nice argument for argument's sake. The promoters have a responsibility to provide a safe and satisfying experience for those who paid to attend their event. They also have a responsibility to uphold the rules so others can enjoy what they paid for.
Blaming Mad Media for the actions of people in spectator areas who break the rules is a very "snowflake" kind of position to take.

I've already clearly stated that I agree that in this case the promoter needs to do a better job to mitigate the problem but ultimately the responsibility for bad behaviour lies solely with the people committing the acts. Stop pretending like people acting like d bags is all Mad Media/Mint 400s fault. They have a role/obligation to attempt to fix it, but the people ruining it for everyone else are the real root of the problem here.

ACME

Reaction
Link to anything that quantifies Mad Media or anyone inviting and/or encouraging people to violate the rules and act a fool in spectator areas? Why are you trying so desperately to pin the primary responsibility for people breaking rules on anyone other than the people doing it in the first place?

It is obviously the peoples individual choice to act like A-Holes, and they are ultimately responsible. However...

By providing and encouraging people to attend an event via the media they produce, as well as encouraging a culture/attitude as they have with their Hoonesq style videos etc (which WE all enjoy). Then toss in the "party" atmosphere that is promoted on the Mint web page and that they are collecting a fee:, They accept responsibility for the gathering are thus responsible for what happens in the areas they accept money to herd the spectators into...

I guess I'm a dinosaur but, it seems like a situation similar to what we had with the MDR party and DGAF attitude days. Promoter let it happen (but didn't collect a fee), didn't discourage the culture or control the event. But hey, history never repeats itself, right?

J Prich

Reaction
It is obviously the peoples individual choice to act like A-Holes, and they are ultimately responsible. However...

By providing and encouraging people to attend an event via the media they produce, as well as encouraging a culture/attitude as they have with their Hoonesq style videos etc (which WE all enjoy). Then toss in the "party" atmosphere that is promoted on the Mint web page and that they are collecting a fee:, They accept responsibility for the gathering are thus responsible for what happens in the areas they accept money to herd the spectators into...

I guess I'm a dinosaur but, it seems like a situation similar to what we had with the MDR party and DGAF attitude days. Promoter let it happen (but didn't collect a fee), didn't discourage the culture or control the event. But hey, history never repeats itself, right?
Yeah I don't see it that way at all. I was at the Rock Pile in 2010 when the accident occurred. I don't see a valid comparison between Mint spectator areas and what was going on in MDR races at all. Its just not a valid comparison. There is not a promotion of reckless, out of control behaviour at the Mint in my opinion. To get there, you have to disregard the literally 10s of thousands of race fans that showed up, enjoyed the show, and behaved responsibly and respectfully. The handful of people being jerks in Spec 4 do not remotely represent the entire group of spectators for the Mint, nor any kind of culture being promoted...at least in my personal opinion.

The way BITD and Mad Media organize and control race day operations is NOTHING like what happened for years at MDR. I just personally think it's a real stretch to try to equate the two and suggest there is some correlation there. At the Mint there are rules that are clearly articulated. While I agree that there needs to be a better mechanism for enforcement of the rules to fix the 10% of violators, that's a massive difference from the open free for all that is/was Barstow/Lucerne for years during the MDR days.

At the end of the day it's a matter of semantics and perspective in my opinion. I'm of the opinion that the sky is not falling, the sport is not on the verge of disaster or collapse, etc as a result of some spectators acting like buttholes in one of 5 spectator areas at the Mint. Its certainly an issue and those 10% need to be effectively dealt with for the sake of the 90% of good people, and to keep the 10% from growing. But ultimately this is a small demographic of people making bad, disrespectful choices and to try to stretch that in to some kind of argument that their behaviour is either endorsed by or a product of some kind of outside entity is too much for me personally.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
OMG, should we blame the Mad Media for the rain in the afternoon race?

I have worked with the Martelli's and for some reason they pick my brain sometimes. I KNOW for a fact they listen to people and work on things to be as accommodating as possible. Never have I felt like my input has fallen on deaf ears. They are fantastically invested in the Mint 400. They do not want to soil their product I assure you. They want it to be better.

Also, they basically left right after the Mint and went to work at Seabring and now they have the UTV world championships on April 5th. Which might help explain why they havent reported in with what exactly they plan to do to fix this stuff (even though they have almost an entire year to sort it out.) Still, I got a few texts from them even though they are very busy.

Next year spectator area 4 will have these guys at the gate.

127987024-56a97f733df78cf772a78806.jpg

These guys will be on site also.

zg4e8d1dcb.jpg

And him.

robocop_592x299-7.jpg

And him.

Dirty-harry-2.jpg

And him.

qIMl1UK.jpg

All disputes regarding behavior that are debatable will be sorted out by this woman.

hqdefault.jpg

Also, because of the bikes and quads racing there will be this guy on course to make sure that course cutting and any other on course shenanigans will not be an issue.

delta+force.jpg

I look forward to seeing you all there...

Last edited:

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
UHHHHH,,,, "Bike" racers don't "CUT" the course,,,, we take "creative" lines which I think personally is just darn good pre-running :)

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
OMG, should we blame the Mad Media for the rain in the afternoon race?

I have worked with the Martelli's and for some reason they pick my brain sometimes. I KNOW for a fact they listen to people and work on things to be as accommodating as possible. Never have I felt like my input has fallen on deaf ears. They are fantastically invested in the Mint 400. They do not want to soil their product I assure you. They want it to be better.

Also, they basically left right after the Mint and went to work at Seabring and now they have the UTV world championships on April 5th. Which might help explain why they havent reported in with what exactly they plan to do to fix this stuff (even though they have almost an entire year to sort it out.) Still, I got a few texts from them though even though they are very busy.

Next year spectator area 4 will have these guys at the gate.

127987024-56a97f733df78cf772a78806.jpg

These guys will be on site also.

zg4e8d1dcb.jpg

And him.

robocop_592x299-7.jpg

And him.

Dirty-harry-2.jpg

And him.

qIMl1UK.jpg

All disputes regarding behavior that are debatable will be sorted out by this woman.

hqdefault.jpg

Also, because of the bikes and quads racing there will be this guy on course to make sure that course cutting and any other on course shenanigans will not be an issue.

delta+force.jpg

I look forward to seeing you all there...
Rdc post of the week

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Yeah I don't see it that way at all. I was at the Rock Pile in 2010 when the accident occurred. I don't see a valid comparison between Mint spectator areas and what was going on in MDR races at all. Its just not a valid comparison. There is not a promotion of reckless, out of control behaviour at the Mint in my opinion. To get there, you have to disregard the literally 10s of thousands of race fans that showed up, enjoyed the show, and behaved responsibly and respectfully. The handful of people being jerks in Spec 4 do not remotely represent the entire group of spectators for the Mint, nor any kind of culture being promoted...at least in my personal opinion.

The way BITD and Mad Media organize and control race day operations is NOTHING like what happened for years at MDR. I just personally think it's a real stretch to try to equate the two and suggest there is some correlation there. At the Mint there are rules that are clearly articulated. While I agree that there needs to be a better mechanism for enforcement of the rules to fix the 10% of violators, that's a massive difference from the open free for all that is/was Barstow/Lucerne for years during the MDR days.

At the end of the day it's a matter of semantics and perspective in my opinion. I'm of the opinion that the sky is not falling, the sport is not on the verge of disaster or collapse, etc as a result of some spectators acting like buttholes in one of 5 spectator areas at the Mint. Its certainly an issue and those 10% need to be effectively dealt with for the sake of the 90% of good people, and to keep the 10% from growing. But ultimately this is a small demographic of people making bad, disrespectful choices and to try to stretch that in to some kind of argument that their behaviour is either endorsed by or a product of some kind of outside entity is too much for me personally.
So, to be more in your face about it, Prich, exactly what ARE the responsibilities of the promoter charging people to be there? While I absolutely agree that the improper actions of those acting like D-bags are 100% their responsibility to own, The actions) who should be responsible for telling/trying/forcing them to abide by the rules? I say the person(s) promoting the event that drew them there and who have collected money for others to attend said event where the rules are suppose to be enforced.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
I see one area for improvement because there is obviously some sort of issue - Communication

I spent 2 hours 100 yards from Spec 4 and never was aware there was any problems there. I drove through there twice and never once was aware there was an issue other than people not having a parking spot. While I may just be a guy with some band aids, my entire team works closely with operations to fill in anywhere there is problem. My guys often fulfill the role of security guard, traffic cop and faa drone police. Rarely is there an issue that cant be resolved when we are aware it is an issue.

We have asked BLM to expand this area year after year at our expense and have not been approved yet - Longer or even wider so we can get two rows in there. It is a great spot to watch the race. Even better when it is reverse direction in my opinion. Marking the spots is challenging as we cant have a footprint by Monday morning when our closure is lifted. Sometimes I wonder if it is simply that Off Road fan typically are all in Full Size vehicles and parking is determined on a average parking size. Add 2 feet per vehicle after a couple hundred and we lose a lot of spots. Other areas of enforcement is hit and miss. While Mad Media may have a no weapons statement in the ticket, it is federal land. It a suggested rule, not a law. Now alcohol and guns, that can go away..

I truly appreciate the criticism and suggestions for improvement that is intertwined in all the other stuff in this thread. Next year will be a completely different world and undoubtedly will result in an entire new set of challenges.

Mad Media has and will continue to raise the bar for this race and BITD will work to provide a great race. And the Bike guys - Oh they are going to have a great time. 2019 is already in planning and permitting!!

EOR1488

Reaction
Private security is nice and it is cheaper no doubt but with zero actual power or authority it makes it very difficult for them to do anything. Sure they can tell you to leave but what if you say no.

If you hire law enforcement you have to go through the city and union and pay the overtime which is more like $60 an hour per officer.

Having an officer sure makes a difference. If you ask someone to leave and they say no as long as u had a lawful reason and a lawful order you can arrest. Everyone is tough until there actually going to jail so the actual thought of that can quiet down many. Plus an officers actions are backed by state and federal legislation along with the department policy, union his training etc. So his actions can be defend more reasonably then I security guard you hired at random. If you look at it if you had a couple officers in each spec and down at main for the full 16 hour day you’re looking close to an additional 15k for them. Might be the reason there not used.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert