On Topic And so it begins in Baja

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Travis (JrSyko) is heading down to start prerunning today and the guy at the checkpoint informs him that he is required to have a permit for his race radio. Anyone heard of that before? Sounds like they let him off with a warning and let him go but that's a new one. I know we're technically supposed to have a license but I've never heard of anyone being questioned before for it. I wonder what other stories are going to start popping up after Tuesday's election results.

Let's hear them!

Pacololo

Reaction
Ya, this surfaced a handful of years back.
If your nervous just unplug the mic through checkpoints.
I've never been hassled before though, so I don't worry about it...

Baja_Seve

Reaction
What "checkpoint?"

Been down the last 2 weekends for 3 days each, through Ojos Negros and 3 Poles checkpoints extensively, and not a word. Super friendly, asked if we had any cold sodas.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
It might help if the occupants of the vehicle are NOT conversing on the radio at the time of the inspection. And turn the volume down. Sorta like talking on a cell phone when crossing any Mex-to-US border crossing.

NIKAL

Reaction
What we always did when pulling up to a Military check point or the Boarder check point, was to turn down the volume on the radio, and everyone in our group did the same. Once you clear the check point we would turn the volume up, but stay off until the last vehicle in the group cleared. Then they would radio that they cleared the check point. After that we were good to transmit.

I think part of the concern at the Military checks, is these are young kids, that in most cases know little to no English, but are hearing it on the radio's and might not know whats being said. I get it, I would be uncomfortable if I was inspecting a car full of people, and I started hearing radio transmissions in a language I did not know. How do they know your not talking about them or being told to do something to them?

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I got sent to secondary for my radio once on my way back but never any issuses while Im down there.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

redline

Reaction
We crossed today at San yisidro and had zero problems with all 4 truck and trailers. Just make sure you have papers for truck, trailer, and ohv ready together. Just went through X-ray and then golden.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Travis probably means at the Military check that's below Manedero on Hwy1.
The military having an issue with V/Uhf radios happened many years ago, but not a big deal. It comes and goes. No worries.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
One time going through a military checkpoint, when my buddy went through before us, I got on the radio and and said (in a kids voice) "help me.....I'm stuck under the dash.....help me". Needless to say it was a lot funnier in one truck than the other.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
They're commercial use radios. Permits to operate and licences for use are no different there than here. Most desert racers just don't follow the rules. Mexico told SCORE several years ago that teams could get a permit for radio use at the races. Nothing new.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Been there more times than I can count lol. Common fricken sense guys. Keep things out of sight. Be courteous , offer American treats / drinks ( homemade cookies and brownies are a bonus) and always offer steekers for THEIR KIDS. Now the story. Once going through a checkpoint , we were searched. Forgot that I had Pistola wigs Mullets under my back seat from Halloween. Holly sheet they found em , guns were cocked scrambling started all hell broke loose. A young soldier thought we were bank robbers or something. Things settled down we explained why we had them. My sons friend then turned to an older soldier and Pointed at Kamren aka Turbo and said he is a transvestite. Laughter broke out, we handed them a bag of chocolate chip cookies , a stack of TCS steekers and we were on our way everyone laughing. Mexico is great if you don't act like your better than them.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Only people that have thrown fits to get their way or win have them. Don't think there are off road racers that fall into that category. Just saying