Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart killed in hit and run

BajaFand

Reaction
Angels rookie right-hander Nick Adenhart died early Thursday morning after a car accident in Fullerton, Calif., according to multiple reports.

University of California-Irvine Medical Center spokesman John Murray said Adenhart died after undergoing surgery.

Two others were killed and another was seriously injured in the accident, which involved three vehicles. Authorities were blaming the accident on a motorist who ran a red light with his van and then fled the scene on foot. He was later captured and charged with felony hit-and-run.

An Angels employee, reached by telephone, said that the team was preparing a news release and that its media relations department was not taking any calls at that time.

The news of Adenhart's death was first reported by Maryland television station WHAG, which cited a family member as its source. The Los Angeles Times cited an associate of the pitcher in its report.

A gray Mistubishi, hit by the van, slammed into a light pole. Two of the occupants in the Mitsubishi were declared dead at the scene. Adenhart died just after 6 a.m. PT on Thursday.

A fourth occupant is at University of California Irvine Medical Center in Orange in critical condition, said WHAG.

The third vehicle was stopped in the intersection at the time of the accident. The driver was not seriously hurt.

Adenhart, 22, made his season debut against Oakland on Wednesday night, shutting out the A's for six innings in a game the Angels eventually lost, 6-3.

A 14th-round Draft choice in 2004, Adenhart made his Major League debut on May 1 last season and made three starts, winning one of them.

SEANY

Reaction
WOW!!!:mad:

I watch the game last night and he was pitching so well for such a young pitcher. He got himself out of some jams with solid pitches not luck. This is a sad day for baseball.

FCORR

Reaction
Yeah I heard about it this morning....very, very sad. RIP

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
uhhhh... he was killed right down the street from a Club I was at, when we were leavin, the fire department was pulling up :(

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Was it downtown Fullerton? Near Harbor?

yeah, Lemon and I think orangthrope ( I was drunk ) but it was maybe 2-3 blocks off the 91 freeway. It was right down the street from Cycle Gear

Hayward Racing

Reaction
Sux I was just reading it on ESPN

SEANY

Reaction
Andrew Gallo from Riverside was the driver that killed Adenhart and the other passangers.

Ryan_P

Reaction
Andrew Gallo from Riverside was the driver that killed Adenhart and the other passangers.

...who has a history of drunk driving and was driving on a suspended license. Some people just don't get it!

Adenhart was the Angels #3 starter, and poised to be a big part of their pitching staff. Watching the game last night, he had tremendous ball control and remained calm even when got into a bit of trouble. He was a young kid with a bright and long future in MLB, so tragic.

R.I.P. Nick Adenhart

Ryan_P

Reaction
I just got off the phone with an old friend of mine. The driver of the car was Courtney Stewart, a girl I knew from when I was in High School. Sad, sad day...

Mark Newhan

Reaction
My wife just told me the driver of the vehicle that hit them had a blood alcohol level higher then the legal limit. Sucks!

tim_krueger

Reaction
My wife just told me the driver of the vehicle that hit them had a blood alcohol level higher then the legal limit. Sucks!

yes, and since his license was suspended in 05 he received 2 other tickets while driving, 1 for which he failed to appear in 06 and in 07 got a ticket for marijuana or open container (statute covers both). he ran from this scene and was finally caught around orangethorpe and state collage

@ 6pm tonight the news said it was confirmed he was booked for MURDER, not just vehicular manslaughter.

3 people lost their lives and 1 is fighting for his, all because of this F**K's lack of respect for the law.

cbrdoll

Resident Cougar
Reaction

Man that sucks...I lost a fiance eons ago to a drunk driver and everytime I hear another loss from it, I just cringe inside....theres NO excuse for it EVER!!

Mark Newhan

Reaction
yes, and since his license was suspended in 05 he received 2 other tickets while driving, 1 for which he failed to appear in 06 and in 07 got a ticket for marijuana or open container (statute covers both). he ran from this scene and was finally caught around orangethorpe and state collage

@ 6pm tonight the news said it was confirmed he was booked for MURDER, not just vehicular manslaughter.

3 people lost their lives and 1 is fighting for his, all because of this F**K's lack of respect for the law.

Well I hope some scumbag defense lawyer doesn't get him some B.S. plea deal!!