• Forum membership has its advantages....

Anna Nicole - 1993 F150 4x4 Prerunner

jeff

It's fluffy stuff that it doesn't need for me to keep driving it as-is. Like inner wheel well liners. Rear tail light guards. Headliner.

She's old news anyway. ;)

Aloha

JDDurfey

I really like your build. I have wanted to have a truck similar ever since I was pitting a bike team at Rancho El Coyote at the 03 Baja 500. I was in my old 93 Cummins powered Dodge 4wd and an F-150 pulled up next to me built similar to yours. I decided then I needed one but I only got as far as purchasing a 91 F-150, but never started building. Now I have other things I want to build...but I wish I had built the F-150.

jeff

I really like your build. I have wanted to have a truck similar ever since I was pitting a bike team at Rancho El Coyote at the 03 Baja 500. I was in my old 93 Cummins powered Dodge 4wd and an F-150 pulled up next to me built similar to yours. I decided then I needed one but I only got as far as purchasing a 91 F-150, but never started building. Now I have other things I want to build...but I wish I had built the F-150.
I started down a similar path of building a Bronco because I got to ride in Ray Croll's LeDuc built prerunner back in the 90's. I bought a cheap Bronco but quickly ran out of interior room for all the crap I wanted to be able to haul with me. Right around the time I realized I was over the Bronco build a buddy bought a plasma cutter so we used that to cut the ol' girl into small enough pieces that the local landfill would let me throw it away. A number of salvaged Bronco parts made their way into the Anna build so parts of that 1983 Bronco live on. This F150 is no luxury prerunner by any stretch of the imagination but it's still a fun truck. Would I build another? Nope.

In 2017 a buddy and I raced the NORRA 1000 in Anna and that was a really long two weeks. Fun but grueling. For the 2018 and 2019 NORRA 1000 I was fortunate enough to spend a bunch of time behind the wheel of a Can-Am X3. Having experienced the same race from two very different vehicles there's no way I would build another truck based prerunner now that the SxS's are so good. In my opinion I think the SxS is more fun to drive and within reason are cheaper to build. Even with the fully functioning 4x4 that my F150 has there are still plenty of pucker moments when you aren't sure if you'll make it through a big silt bed, mud hole, etc. In the Can-Am the fear of getting stuck is absolutely out of my mind and that makes the time spent off-road a lot more enjoyable.

Aloha

JDDurfey

My reasoning for the F-150 is for several reasons. One, that it retains the 4wd with good wheel travel. The TTB was the best travel 4wd you could build in those days. In 07 my buddies broke down near Tres Hermanos at the bottom of the big hill going toward El Alamo in a Class 5 pre-runner. Andy M happened along and offered to tow them to the top, his 2wd pre-runner could not get enough traction to get the job done. A 4wd Cherokee pulled them to the top and Andy pulled them to K77 from there. Pre-running at speed in a 2wd luxury pre-runner is great, but it isn't a good recovery tool.

Two, your truck is like having a tool box full of tools and not just "one" tool. It can be used as a pre-runner, while not the best, it can get the job done. It can be used as a chase truck for pits. And used as a recovery vehicle if the unfortunate occurs, all while riding in AC and heat.

Now with better A-arm 4wd setups available a TTB might not be the best choice, but it still works.

I doubt that I will ever build my F-150. I have a project planned to start with my son soon that will go in a completely different direction. The F-150 will sit in my personal junkyard at the ranch for the time being while I build a mid 60s Chevy C-60 that will be powered by a 12v Cummins.

jeff

Two, your truck is like having a tool box full of tools and not just "one" tool. It can be used as a pre-runner, while not the best, it can get the job done. It can be used as a chase truck for pits. And used as a recovery vehicle if the unfortunate occurs, all while riding in AC and heat.
That describes this truck to a T. 👍

A Chummins C-60 sounds like a fun tow truck for the F150!

Aloha