Another fiberglass fender question ***newbie***

throwinrox

Reaction
I am new to this stuff especially fiberglass.

I have a 99 Silverado 4WD. I just got some 3.5" Glassworks "replicas". I want to keep the inner fenders and just remove the skins.

I did a search and went through all 11 pages but could not find a good "how to" tutorial with pictures.

Does anybody out there have pics or their install for 99-02 Silverados?

Also these look like they are gonna be pretty wide for me. I have 16x8" with 285/75/16 BFG ATs, wheels that are about 1" reverse over stock.

throwinrox

Reaction
Here are some pics. How much wider is this than stock? I was told they were +3.5 but they look way wider

Here is my front stock

Here is a number that I found. does anybody know the make?

Here are a couple other pics

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
So do you want to use the existing fender as a plug? You can check this site out.

http://www.gadrivers.net/~dwicker/fiberglass.html

It's for a sub box, but the overall concept is the same.

EDIT: Read the question wrong; I thought you were wanting to remake them, just without the inside. That link you posted is pretty spot on. Granted with "replica" anything, it usually means you're going to have to do more trimming as opposed to if you purchased it from the actual distributor. But fiberglass is easy to fix overall. Just take your time and measure thrice.

Double_Down

Reaction
I looked through the tutorial, and it's probably as good as you are going to find. As already stated here, take your time. Getting fiberglass to look good requires a lot of fitting and removing of the panels, and massaging of the pieces. Sometimes including adding and removing material. It's really not that hard to do... just takes time. When you are done you'll be stoked that you did it yourself.

Are these going on the red Chevy or the white one? ;-)

throwinrox

Reaction
thanks guys. They are going on my red truck. But these look way wider than what I wanted so I am now trying to trade them for ones with less bulge. Or sell them to get a smaller set.

Breth

Reaction
So the guy with the black truck in your link (dieselplace) got 5" fenders on the stock wide suspension, why do you think your 3" fenders are to wide? The fenders on the black diesel truck fitting perfect.....

throwinrox

Reaction
So the guy with the black truck in your link (dieselplace) got 5" fenders on the stock wide suspension, why do you think your 3" fenders are to wide? The fenders on the black diesel truck fitting perfect.....
I think he has a deeper offset on his wheels. My wheels are pretty close to the stock backspacing so my tires don't stick out beyond the fenders much. But I sold those white Fenders and picked up a narrower set that I think will look pretty good, but they do need some repairs. They are chipped where the door was meeting them and some cracks along the wheel well lip.

throwinrox

Reaction
Do you have pix?
What do you want a picture of? The fenders that need repair? I can try to post some in the next couple of days. Maybe somebody has recommendations for me on how to fix them. I have no idea how to work with glass.

GMCrunner

Reaction
Wow, been a long damn time since ive been on this board lol.

Throwin, that thread i posted on diesel place that you linked is exactly how yours should be. If you need any help, feel free to ask me any question on it. Your fenders are the exact same as mine so there should not be much difference in takin them apart and puttin them back on.

Breth, PMed you on diesel place.

throwinrox

Reaction
Sweet. thnx GMCrunner. I am hoping to do the repairs to the cracks and get them mounted up in the next few weeks.