• Forum membership has its advantages....

another promoter is back

Jimmy8

nothing against la rana, but wow, one more promoter to spread out the entries. This has got to stop.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
You have got to be kidding me! What a F#*&%@G joke!

<font color=red>Rally Expert<font color=red>

evan_clanin

people are trying to do what they feel is right, but all its doing is killing the sport...

John Bitting

Administrator
Shaun tell us how you really feel. :)

I was not around when LaRana used to race, but everything I hear about it sounded like it use to be real popular and have a lot of entries. Is it also a local Barstow/Lucerne series? I personally love having races in my local desert but if it means less entries in MDR then that would not be a good thing. I wish LaRana the best in there comeback. Maybe some old racers will come out of retirement and start running again and the sport will start to grow and then if we moved to a one to two promotor venue then everyone will unite.. I can only hope for the best instead of slamming someone for trying..

PLS

Unless things have changed, LaRana is basically the same as MDR is now. MDR pretty much just took their place, the same racers, courses, and similar schedule. They tried to go bigger, and started getting too expensive for a lot of people. We raced with them, and worked the course a few times. Does anyone know if this is Eddie starting it up again? Seems like too many races drawing from the same driver pool.

P.S.- It took 19 hours and 22 minutes, but the 5-1600 finished the V2R. What an experience.
Pete- BOYD RACING

Paige

Re: another promoter is back *DELETED*

Post deleted by John_Bitting

Waldo

Safehouse
If I remember correctly, Paul Duffy at MDR used to be partners with Eddie before LaRana went belly up. Paul got out of it before things got bad and then took his knowledge and started MDR. I remember meeting with Paul before he even started MDR (back when he owned Duffco) and he is a promoter for the racers. He cares about racing and the the costs involved. His heart is in it!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

~Waldo~

Jimmy8

score, snore, bore, more, fudd, code, whiplash, vorra, bitd, la rana, mdr. I might have missed one or two, but this is 11 organizations. Have you heard of 3's a crowd, well this is ridiculous. Everybody in it for the buck, and thats what I feel like is happening. No one cares to better the sport, they feel like off road is an easy way to make a dime. Some of these need to go away, combine or do something to that effect, or we will never see 200, 300, or 400 entrie races again. That is why these coalitions are starting up. See what happens when 2 or more organizations combine. Look at the parker 400 next year. Their will be over 200 entries. Whiplash, SNORE, and an open invitation to code, pro 1600, pro dirt, and the new pro 10, and any other organization for that matter. They even brought back the old long course again. When these guys do things together instead of fighting each other, great things happen, and this is what needs to happen.

JasonHutter

I don't know about all of these promoters. But, we race in BORE occasionally for two reasons. 1. They are closer to us than most of the rest, and 2. They are cheaper to enter with decent payouts. I think that some of the promotors are out there because it is too far to go for some that are racing. We are out of Colorado, and we race against people from Montana, Utah, Idaho, and so on. I realize some people ( like us ) will travel to race in SCORE or which ever, but we are lucky enough to either make enough money or get enough sponsor money to do so. We don't however make enough money to do a whole season with SCORE yet. That would be cool though! I guess what I am saying is, I don't know the solution, or all the reasons for all the promotors.

Jason

mike_hinson

BORE, for instance, fills a need in your area. They have chosen to compete for market share in a niche market in your area. SNORE also does a fine job working for the racers in their area. They also have to draw of "VEGAS" in their favor, as well as the fact that they, as a club, they give most of the $ back to the racers, which helps draw racers from outside the area.

In an area such as Barstow/Lucerne/Ridgecrest where you have multiple promoters trying to capture the same market, the free market will decide their fate. If they cater to the racers, they will be successful. If they don't, they will eventually go by the wayside. If takes racers to make a race series and promoter successful. We have all seen many promoters come and go. The good ones have loyal followers and staying power.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Does anyone know what it cost to enter a 10 car in an MDR race cuz in 94' when La Rana went belly up we were paying over 700.00 to enter out car, I was wondering if its still that much or was La Rana just way too high.

You must be Fast cuz I was HAULIN ASS when I passed you...

John Bitting

Administrator
The only problem I see with it is conflicting dates between big series and little series and also races farther apart if the other promotors already have the dates booked..

Clifford

An interesting fact to point out is Eddie bid for the remaining dates left over after MDR and MORE put in for their dates. This means that Eddie bid for 40 weekends out of the 52 available. MDR placed a bid for their 6 and MORE did the same.

Waldo

Safehouse
MDR's entry is only $360 for pro classes.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

~Waldo~

Jack

That high price was only the last year or two of LaRana and it had somthing to do with trying to get TV time and that is what caused the brake up.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
La Rana was one of the first races I had ever been to back then. I remember it being alot of fun... The high entry price was the rumor I heard about them going under. then MDR came in with their great entry fee price...

I think I have said this before in another thread along time ago, and this could also go in the The Visoin Thing thread,
A racing format similar to BMX & Mountain Bike racing would probably work out real good for desert racing. You have one, or two sanctioning bodies. (BMX racing = ABA & NBL)Then you have officials that put on races in their area. They have their own points system, as well as the main body (ABA) has a national points system. All races / officials use the same classes & rules for racers. There are the bigger races called National events held through out the year, and also a year end final race.

With minor adjustments this system could be used for desert racing, at least in the west coast (where pretty much all desert racing is) but it is unlikely that something like this would ever happen.

An example: Main organization = JDORDR (Juice Designs Off-Road Dezert Racing) all racers have race vehicles for specific classes, similar to what is out there now. All racers pay a yearly membership fee and get their number that they will use for that year according to their class and there points standing from the previous season. Officials under JDORDR (Casey, Sal, Paul etc. etc.) would run their races using the same classes, rules points system etc. etc. because they are all under JDORDR. All the officials would have dates that do not conflict with other officials, unless they are far apart, and not large (national) events. The year end race would be a championsip for all classes from each officials races combined (can you say a possible 500 entry race!!!) That will determine the year end points, champions, and the top contenders for the following season.
Imagine the sponsorship & media coverage possiblities for a huge race like that. And for the entire JDORDR racing organizaton for that matter...

I just pulled this out of my a$$ right now, so not much thought went into it. But I think something like that might work... Alot of problems could be solved. Classes, rules, not a million promoters etc. etc...
or some of you might just think I'm crazy.