anti-lock brakes

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i wanna get rid of my anti lock brakes. Does anyone know what will happen if anything if it just run my brakes rigth off the master cylinder and bypass the anti lock system. i have heard things like the trannyhas sensors in it but that might be just for an automatic. Am i just headed for disaster and alot of futre problems with my electrical system if i remove the ABS? If anyone has expereince with doing this to a chevy can you tell me how it went?.

Gregg

prospectator

Reaction
What year do you have. I have an 95 4.3. If you don't want to re-plumb the lines just unplug the harness going to the ABS. This will retain some proportioning to the rear but eliminate the fade when in the dirt. The only downfall is the ABS light stays on the whole time. Other than that I haven't noticed any other problems. If you remove the ABS and decide to re-plumb the lines you will have to add a proportioning valve to the rear brake line. If you don't do this the rear will have too much brake pressure and lock the rear wheels when the brakes are used firmly. I removed mine and they don't make it easy. Every brake fitting is a different size. So you spend 2 hours at Pep Boys trying to find the right adapters. They won't just screw right to the master cylinder, the ends are incorrect. I could take a picture of mine if you need. GOOD LUCK.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i have a 2000 2.2L 4 banger. I wanna get rid of the whole system to make room for coilovers. so i am going to have to redo the whole system from the master cylinder on i guess. A picture would be good if you can do it.

Gregg

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
This may not help but, The antilock control valve on my explorer quit working, causing the rears to lock up. I plummed around it (a simple male/male nipple) with no ill effects to date.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

SDranger

Reaction
Pat, did the Brakes lock up as in not possible to drive? or when you slammed on them? My ranger's breaks seem to be locking up pretty easily. I do have no bed so that makes it worse but i swear the ABS used to come on and now it doesnt seem like it ever does anymore

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
After the first stop, the rears would stay as if the brakes were applied. Making it difficult to drive. I olny have rear A.B.S. If it sat for about a half hour it would be ok untill the next stop. I only bypassed the valve because it was a $300 item.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

1992f150

Reaction
I think there is a porportioning valve you can adjust that regulates how much power goes to the front/rear

Azusa: shame of the foothills

prospectator

Reaction
Gregg,
Here's a pic of what I did when I removed the ABS. You have to add a proportioning valve to the rear brake line to reduce the brake pressure or they will lock when used firmly.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
cool thanks looks like im gonna do thatthanks for the picture how much is a proportioning valve?

Gregg

jeff

Reaction
Sometimes you WANT to lock em' up! Most ABS systems are terrible on dirt / ice / snow surfaces. Some of the Euro vehicles have a better engineered and/or adapted system for use on slick road surfaces. The American stuff that I've driven has been dreadful.

So GG, where's the buildup thread for the new whip?

Aloha