• Forum membership has its advantages....

anti-roll bars

BradM

I am looking for some help from some of the other engineers and fab guys out there. I want to design an anti roll bar for the rear end of a project that I am currently working on. All of my Vehicle Dynamics books have been "put away" since I don't work in the automotive field anymore. I am looking for formulas or at least practical rules of thumb for sizing the torsion bar. Can anyone give me some help or is it time to start digging up old notes?

BTW, this project isn't offroad but the information will still apply to others. It's a street/strip 1960 El Camino. Full tube chassis, 4 link rear with coil overs. It's a project that has been off in the corner of the shop for 10 years and I want to get it done and have some fun with it while we build something else.

Thanks in advance.

Build 'em light, wind 'em tight

ntsqd

I don't suppose it came to you with a 3:1 peg leg 9", 15" Toq Thrusts, Ford rear discs, Nova front discs, a .030" over 396, 4 speed, 88 louvers in the hood and 12 on each front fender ?

Remember, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.

BradM

Thom, Sounds like you are an old friend of Phils? My guess, since you know the exact count of the louvers, is that you punched them? Still driving that orange Pontiac?

Your description sound like the car we started with but the only thing left of it is the body and registration. We still have the louvered sheet metal if you know anybody that wants it but we won't be using any of it.

Brad

ntsqd

Wrong guy. A fellow I refer to as My Infamous Scout Friend (MISF) drives the Pontiac (& the gloss Desert Camo Scout II) and he does have a louver press, but did not punch those. I am an ex friend of Phil. I had an option on that car that he did not honor. Most, but not all of the ideas came from Phil, the Fab was a community effort. There are several of us that knew that car rather intimately.
BTW the spacers in the rear caliper brackets are Titanium because that's what John had at work to make them out of.
To be blunt, I always thot it a shame that car got cut up. It was a viable machine as it was if polish had been applied.

Remember, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.

FABRICATOR

BradM,
Seems like the anti-rollbar as used on early Pontiac Firebirds or Camaro's would not only be about the right size but might actually fit right on. If that's not enough the full blown early (1970ish) Trans-am bar would certainly be big enough (over 1") and stiff as hell. Good luck.

<font color=blue>The best ideas are the ones that look completely obvious to the casual observer.</font color=blue>

BradM

I was going to use a Camaro bar for the front. I have one around the shop from my old '70 and I can make it work dimensionally. It's a 7/8 bar and I can get aftermarket bars in 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 if it's not stiff enough. I thought for the rear I would just make one with a torsion bar and moment arms. I thought it would look cleaner and allow me to mount it where I have room. I can calc the stiffness of the bar without any trouble. What about availability? Does SAW or someone else sell commercially available bars and splined sockets that I can use or do most people make up their own for each application?

Any of the fab shops or parts houses carry these parts? Email me private if you want.

Thanks, Brad

BradM

Thanks to Thom and Chuck both. I did a little looking from the links you gave me and found exactly what I was after. As always, this board is the best place to find out a little something about what you want but don't already have.