On Topic Anti theft tracker for Mexico

Zambo

Reaction
I bought a cheap tracker from Amazon for one of my cars here in the states. Service was about 10 or 20 bucks a month if I recall. Only problem was that it wouldn't work on Mexican cell networks. Anybody know of a similar device that will work on both sides of the border? There are so many different ones for sale but sifting through all the descriptions to see if they work internationally is tedious, and most only work in the US.

TIA

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I am in need for the very same thing. Many inexpensive cell-phone network trackers can be found however they don't like foreign networks. Then satellite network type trackers generally cost more to purchase plus the monthly service fees are higher and LOS to the sky is needed....

McCredie A

Reaction
I think there was thread on this not too long ago. I believe Mike Plye bought a couple. Not sure if they were for Baja or the States.

J Burleson

Reaction
Install a Ravelco, and chances are you wont need to be tracking anything, because they wouldnt have stolen it in the first place.

Fesco

Reaction
I second this they were stealing our work trucks continuously until we installed Ravelco's on them.

Zambo

Reaction
Ravelco looks great and all buy my car won't run without the RFID key no matter how you try and hot wire it. But that doesn't stop somebody from stealing a trailer, especially one with cars and bikes on/in it. Nor does it track a stolen backpack, toolbox, or any of that other stuff.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I think there was thread on this not too long ago. I believe Mike Plye bought a couple. Not sure if they were for Baja or the States.
I remember seeing a similar discussion... you are right. Too lazy to search... can someone link it in here?

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Has anyone used the SPOT Trace?

I always thought that SPOT had potential for this purpose when I started using one years ago. But the battery life and only 24 hours of tracking were the hold ups. Looks like the Trace model could be a good option since it has USB line in power in addition to batteries. I'm not sure how the $9.95 per month fee (12 month plan) compares to the other options out there. They also have a $12.50 month to month option.

cjohnson

Reaction
Has anyone used the SPOT Trace?

I have one on my UTV. I like it a lot. The battery life depends on whether the unit detects movement or not. When the car is setting in the garage the Spot Trace goes to sleep and uses very little battery power. When it detects movement then it starts up and sends periodic position reports. With the batteries I use and the position report rate at every 2 minutes it will last a couple days of continuously sending the position. More than enough to track it down if stolen.

I have the Spot Trace connected to the ACC on the Maverick so it doesn't drain the battery when the car is running.

My first set of batteries lasted over a year. I just put in rechargeable batteries and will charge them when they get low.

It costs me $200/year for the service level I choose.

You can also send a link to a map to someone to monitor your position when prerunning which is handy.
prerun.jpg

paranoid56

Reaction
also a spot trace user, love it. use good lithium battery's and the direct hook up. My battery's seem to last around a year. I have them on most things. works in garages and most places.

MTPyle

Reaction
We use Garmin in reach and Iridium Go for race vehicles and chase trucks. But we got long term trackers for the trailers. They last 5 years without charging and use 3g in North America including Mexico. See link below. It’s like $220 and includes service. It does not track often but works.

Trailer tracker Link

Zambo

Reaction
We use Garmin in reach and Iridium Go for race vehicles and chase trucks. But we got long term trackers for the trailers. They last 5 years without charging and use 3g in North America including Mexico. See link below. It’s like $220 and includes service. It does not track often but works.

Trailer tracker Link
For some reason the link didn't work but I think I found that device with a search. Seems like a pretty good deal with the service included. Even if the the equipment was free it would only net out to about 7 bucks a month.

MTPyle

Reaction
Weird not sure why the link won’t work. Here is the description from amazon

The TTU-730 is a battery powered GPS tracker that has International Data Plan. This includes 3-years of service. After 3-years, renewals are only $20. Compare this prices to what you might pay with a monthly fee. This unit updates once per day and can be put into aggressive tracking mode. It will handle any weather condition. A great GPS tracker to protect and monitor trailers, equipment, boats, assets, heavy equipment, and much more. Delivery is usually within 2-days.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I think this is the other thread about trackers you guys were talking about.

johndjmix

Reaction
Spot Trace. Its the only one that will work and not be out of control. We use them every year in mexico. Its satelite based so no need for cell. Spot also gives you an app, which works great....

Nothing else out there even in the same category....

--John