Any Jeep guys here? I need help with axles...

tkr

RDC Crypto
Website
www.tappsgarage.com
A customer of mine recently purchased an '85 CJ7 with a lot of modifications. We were checking out an axle leak and found a grooved left rear axle. The problem is I don't know where to find a new one. As far as I can tell (I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to differentials), its an AMC 20 Wide Track differential, but it has a manuall locking hub set up welded on and a floating axle with no flanges...just splines on both ends. The two differential shops I deal with tell me its probalby a custom set up. Anyone know of a shop in the LA area that may be able to identify the axle just by looking at it? Or a shop that may be able to make a duplicate if it is a custom deal?

Thanks for your help!

Jack

RDC Crypto
It is not stock, thats for sure. It sounds like it might be a system that four wheel parts has sold to put on the AMC20 to make it full float. Not sure who made that, might be in house (China) or a reputable name like Somers Bros.

Kbach66

RDC Crypto
It could also be a Warn "full floater" kit. I know they made some conversion type kits. If you do a search online, you should be able to find some pix. They seemed pretty popular for some of the jeep guys.

tkr

RDC Crypto
Website
www.tappsgarage.com
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like it is an old Warn full floating kit. I appreciate the help!

ntsqd

RDC Crypto
All of the Warn kits I've seen use gold alodized wheel hubs, so that should be a help in IDing what he's got. Also, the drive flanges have a 'W' inside of an oval milled into them. Flange is raw or polished and the 'W' + oval are usually filled with red paint.
Warn can supply a replacement axle. May pay off to get quotes for both shafts from more local dez suppliers.