Any recommenations for oil coolers on kawai's...

referman

Reaction
Vegas to Reno is coming up and I'm considering installing an oil cooler and after market radiator on my 2007 Kawi 450. Any recommendations as to who I should contact or go to for the right equipment? Kawi's run hot as it is and I want to do what I can to keep the motor and oil as cool as possible. And does anyone have any other suggestions I could make to this bike for such a long and demanding race? Thanks.

LVJames...:confused:

You can email me your suggestions to if you want.

jtaylorenterprise@hotmail.com

woodster

Reaction
We have run Vegas to Reno twice now and both times the bikes were fine. Plus this year being a 3 day event, you will prob want to change your oil every day anyways.. $1000 is a lot of $$ for something that's not really needed

referman

Reaction
We have run Vegas to Reno twice now and both times the bikes were fine. Plus this year being a 3 day event, you will prob want to change your oil every day anyways.. $1000 is a lot of $$ for something that's not really needed
I'm just worried about over heating like we did @ last years Vegas 300 and siezed a piston ring that ended our day. I figured I'd spend the $$ and get the good stuff so it won't happen again. But you're probably right. Thanks for the website link.

LVJames...

LIL ROG

Reaction
What was the cause of it over heating in the Vegas 300? (broken part, air in the system, etc) If you can figure that out you should be fine. BITD with the higher speeds over heating shouldn't be an issue.

referman

Reaction
What was the cause of it over heating in the Vegas 300? (broken part, air in the system, etc) If you can figure that out you should be fine. BITD with the higher speeds over heating shouldn't be an issue.
I really think it was because of all the silt that collected in the radiators but can't be sure. My mechanic recommended the oil cooler as an added coil to help lower oil temp which will inturn create better motor reliability and better performance. As far as the previous problem last year, the center ring siezed and the piston scorched. He said sure sign of excessive oil temperature. But I'm no mechanic. This race, we plan to improve our pit stops better and help maintain a cleaner airflow thru the radiators. Thanks again for the advice.

LVjames....

LIL ROG

Reaction
i also forgot to mention that we run zipty waterless coolant and too cool oil additive seems to work great for us

Dezertpilot

Reaction
LIL ROG it sure wouldn't hurt and peace of mind is a wonderful thing! Having confidence in your bike can do wonders for your own confidence, plus having your mechanic tell you those things about the engine just reinforces what you are already thinking.

calexiraptor

Reaction
maybe you could buy one of those oil coolers the 400ex bikes use, they get the job done.