Any rice rockets here?

motoxscott

Reaction
I thought I'd take advantage of this new forum.

Anyone into streetbikes here? Just curious. I've got a 2001 Honda CBR600 F4i that gets me from point A to point B in a timely manner.

-Scott

00TRDTaco

Reaction
Any suggestions for a first bike? I'm not looking to kill myself, so nothing too fast. I'm looking at used too since I don't have enough money to buy new. Something like a late 90's YZF600 was what I'm thinking, but maybe you could give me some input.

martininsocal

Reaction
Look down near Oceanside for good deals on Donor bikes. Thats what we call them in our "trade". O-side has a large supply of "slightly used" rice rockets due to the proximity with Pendleton. I remember it like it was yesterday..."We'll finance anyone E-1 and up...!" Many a new soldier ended up wrapped arounf light poles and power poles in their first couple weeks there..."Watch this! the dealer said my bike could do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds!!!...of course they don't stay on long in the attempt...

If your gonna go, go BIG

Kbach66

Reaction
For a first bike that you won't be bored with too quickly...look at anything in the 600 class. They're definitely fast enough to have fun, but aren't going to put you on your ass like a newby on an R1 in a corner.
Kawasaki and Honda have introduced more 'serious' 600cc bikes to compete with the R6. We (honda)just did our press intro for the CBR600rr and got a lot of good comments. It's fast, nimble, and pretty adjustable so if you're going to head to the track eventually it'll meet your needs for an intermediate rider. The kawi 636 whatever it's called is supposed to be a threat to the class as well. I've heard some good things about it as well.
If you want to spend a little less money, look for an older (99/00) R6. I've got a 99 R6 (one of our old test bikes!) that I ride to work everyday and ride the canyons and tracks with on the weekends. It's a good all around bike as far as I'm concerned....and I'm a Honda motorcycle test engineer.

If you want something for more long distance riding. Look at the CBR600. An F3 or F4 would make a great first bike, and it's ride position is a little more upright and opened up so you're not putting a lot of weight on your wrists and upper body.

PM me if you want some more info

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I thought that they were called crotch rockets? Not rice rockets, those are the cars!

See ya in the dirt!

motoxscott

Reaction
Sorry I was so excited about posting I rushed it. This should clear it up.

Rice Rockets = import cars that have loud exhausts to sound like they go fast.
Crotch Rockets = sportbikes that rip your arms off when punch the throttle.

motoxscott

Reaction
Hey Kevin what do you think of the new 600RR compared to the F4i? I added rear sets to my F4i to bring the pegs up and back, I didin't like dragging them, it scared the I failed spelling out of me the first time. I'm thinking about maybe getting the new RR or stepping up to a RC51.

We're just getting into the street bike exhaust market, what do you guys think of our new muffler?

<------------SEE ATTACHED

Attachments

mustafa

Reaction
Kevin,
Do you know if Honda has any plans of importing the XL100V Varadero? I've been waiting for a bike like that for a long time. BMW has a comprable bike, but I don't like it
and KTM will be introducing the Adventure this year, but I haven't seen one yet.

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.

Kbach66

Reaction
Scott...you can't really compare the F4i and the 600RR. It's kinda like comparing an XR and a CRF. Sure you could race motocross on an XR but you'd do much better on a CRF. The RR is aimed at the more extreme buyer, someone that's had sportbikes and knows what makes a bike 'tick' on the track and wants to do few mods to be competitive. The F4i has always been aimed towards the more easy going buyer...but it can be made fairly competitive with some major mods. That's why the F4 and the RR are both in the lineup. Honda can cover all of its bases and keep more people happy.

As for the RC51...that's what i'd get. I love the sound of a thumpin' twin. Every year we get a Ducati or any V-twin, I'm the first to grab it to put the breakin miles on it. The only problem with the RC51 is that it flattens out on top, but for the normal street rider, it's a blast. Wheelie king!!!

As far as the Varadero...I haven't heard of any plans to import them. They do great in Europe, and they're designed for that market so there'd be to many changes to make it US dot compliant. And changes = $$!

motoxscott

Reaction
F4i = XR and RR = CRF...........I didnt want to hear that. Thats ok. I like my F4i, I've ridden a GSXR 600 and also a R6. They all have pro and cons.

Nice thing even about the 954 is it weights the same as my 600. I luv the sound of the RC, so if I get a new bike, thats the one to get I think.

-Scott

PBC_Tacoma_Kid

Reaction
I wouldnt say and f4i is like an xr, the new RR is definately a better, more race oriented bike but a bike like an f4i is still a good track bike. I think an f4 is a lot more racier then say a stock sv650 or a katana (those are beginner bikes). Im not a bike expert but my 01 R6 is pretty fast on the track for what it is, So far i have a new jet kit and pipe, regeared, dunlop 208gp tires, scotts dampener, its not quite an r1 but stock made 120hp and on the track I can beat a lot of bigger bikes, I dont have a lot of experience with the honda but im under the impression that the f4i is pretty comparable to my bike.
Although the new hondas do look badass, Id really like to get a black and grey r1.

Ryno

Reaction
Geez-now my other 1/2 is gonna kill me. When I started riding street bikes...I was 18. Bought an F3, rode that for a year, then bought an 900RR. A 95 I think. Bought a 96 RR new in 96, get every Erion part I could for it, and had alot of fun. I did spend about 5-10 hrs a week riding my F3. When I was completely comfortable on the bike, I rode it for another 3 months, then got the 900. The 96 was the same weight as the 600's...and it was pretty insane. Only bike I liked more was the Gixer 750. Those bikes SCREAMED!! Anyone have a new 954? I can only imagine how insane it is. Has Honda put a 17" wheel on the front yet??? That was my only complaint.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
from what I have heard, the GSXR 750 is the ultimate bike since they changed it in 2001. Anyone have a comment about this bike?

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

SDranger

Reaction
I really like how those pipes look. If i ever get a sportbike(maybe when i pay off my cr) id rock an fmf pipe for sure.

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125