Any suggestions for a good onboard camera?

getpipe.com

Reaction
Please share thoughts and experiences...

I am looking to purchase an onboard camera system for my race truck....Options I am looking for

• Multiple Camera's on one system
  • External & Internal Audio ( something that can hook into the intercom )
  • 12 hours + of record time
  • Automatic on and off ( when ever the truck starts or stops moving )
  • A screen to view the camera shots while it is on the truck ( i dont want to have to unhook it and rehook it up to a tv or monitor to see if the camera angles are what I want)

I have already experimented with the GoPro Camera ( not enough memory )
I have also tried and used for awhile the moto cam ( terrible video ) ( not enough memory )

If anyone has some suggestions please share....Thanks in advance!

M.Harvey1600

Reaction

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
2nd that on V.I.O.-POV but I would go with the newer version of the 1.5. It can be hard wired in. The video is amazing. It does not move at all. Look at www.rfsmotorsports.com and you can see the video from it.

getpipe.com

Reaction
2nd that on V.I.O.-POV but I would go with the newer version of the 1.5. It can be hard wired in. The video is amazing. It does not move at all. Look at www.rfsmotorsports.com and you can see the video from it.
is it the one you ran in the mint 400? the sound has a whistling noise in it..is that my computer speakers or do hear the same? also...does this turn on once you start moving or do you need to manually do it? also can you run multiple camera's?

djblakely

Reaction
Take a look into the EDGEcameras.com check out the RallyCam4000. It takes 2 16gig cards and can host 4 cameras, separate or PIP. Hard wires in and sold buy Mobile Radio Communicatios. They sell a direct plug harness for their com boxes and Icom radios. Very sweet set up!

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
is it the one you ran in the mint 400? the sound has a whistling noise in it..is that my computer speakers or do hear the same? also...does this turn on once you start moving or do you need to manually do it? also can you run multiple camera's?
The whistling was our crappy altenator we were running before. It is gone now since we changed to a better altenator. We are now running two camera systems; one in the front and one in the back.

JoeyD23

Reaction
Whatever the AGM team has is bad ass!! It looks liek its in a security cam bubble....works really good!

Tipracer

Reaction
Look around...the price of image stabilized, flash memory based, HD camcorders have come down in price tremendously...and the can be wired in, what we have yet to find out is wether or not they can survive.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
I may be biased, but would hire a guy to handle your race video concerns. Seriously, no matter what camera system you utilize, somebody has to be there to pay attention to the onboard cams to make sure the memory, power, lenses are ready to go at the start line. It is my experience that most teams are so concerned about other top priority issues in the hours before the race start to pay attention to onboard cams. Additionally, who gets to be the sucker, I mean guy who has to go through 12 hrs of footage from three cameras, looking for highlights and editing for public viewing?

One cool option with the VIO system is that you can run in continuous mode, always recording and saving only what you want -- the navigator has to push a button to save the last 1 or 2 or 5 or 10 minutes of footage --- this way you can milk the memory to a whole Baja1000. The obvious downside is that it takes discipline to have a rollover or "oh-shixx" moment and then remember to push a button right afterwards.

The VIO-POV has only one recorder/imager, they will run up to approx. 5 hrs with SD quality, 8-12 hrs. with lesser quality. They can be hardwired into the truck or run off of AA batteries. I recommend using two or three VIO-POVs, one back, one front, and one in-cab. Alternatively, use two POVs and one GO-Pro (1 hr, highest quality) facing in cab, as you really don't need multiple hours of in-cab-facing video. One POV audio can be wired to intercom, and one capturing motor noise. Two VIO-POVs and one Go-Pro will run you no more than $1500 total.

Finally, here is a tip for good quality video for ANY camera system --- make sure the camera imager (lens) does not vibrate or move with respect to the truck, ie, make sure mount is solid and secure. I have viewed and been given otherwise good onboard footage except the camera vibration degrades the image quality too much.

mark slater

Reaction
Robert,
Nice videos of the mint 400 on your site. Enjoyed listening to your instructions to the co-driver.

CGP Co-Dawg

Reaction
Does anyone know of a good rear view setup? Doesn't have to record, just display on screen in cab.