Anybody need a million bucks?

Dave_G

Reaction
Does anybody need a million bucks to put towards their dream off-road race car?

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) says it intends to conduct a race of autonomous (totally self contained) ground vehicles from the vicinity of Los Angeles to Las Vegas on March 13th, 2004 with a cash prize of $1,000,000 (one million dollars) to be awarded to the winner. The course will feature both on-road and off-road portions and will include extremely rugged, challenging terrain and obstacles. Second place (and everybody else) will get nothing.

The purpose of this race is to stimulate interest in and encourage the accelerated development of autonomous ground vehicle technologies that could be used by the US military. An application will be due prior to the race. Application forms will be made available on April 1st, 2003. Applications must be received at DARPA on or before October 13, 2003.

The official rules, updates, and application instructions are available on the DARPA Grand Challenge website.

http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge

Dave

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Dave_G on 02/16/03 09:36 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/faq.htm>http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/faq.htm</A>

Q5. Can my vehicle attack other vehicles?

A5. A team will be disqualified if, in the opinion of a judge, their race or chase vehicle intentionally attacks, crashes, or otherwise interferes with another vehicle.

Sorry Austin no nerfing!

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya what a joke. Forget that crap!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

EQuin

Reaction
Sounds interesting. I understand the vehicle must be unmanned and remotely driven, but what is meant by "fully autonomous"?

Ed Q.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
There are no human interactions with the vehicle AT ALL. Once the vehicle leaves the start line it has to make its own pitstops and fuel it self as well as go to the designated check points without any human input...the thing is going to be given a set of points 2 hours prior to the race and it has to figure out the best way to get there.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
Theyre describing my race team, car unmaned, pits never there, gas your self up !!!
hahha

el tiburon

"if something can go wrong, it'll probably will"
pinche murphy

Dave_G

Reaction
You would have to organize it like a TT team. You would need to round up a bunch of sponsors to fund the program. But you have to admit the payback if you win is MUCH better than a Score race! ;-)

Dave

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

Tom_Willis

Reaction
I got it figured out, I'll teach a circus monkey to read a compass, point him east/northeast, give him a picture of a female monkey dressed like a showgirl hanging from the Stratosphere, strap him on a camel and collect my check.

I live my life one paycheck at a time

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"kinda sounds like its gonna cost ya a million just to develop such a beast. LOL"

Yeah but the payouts on top of the million for winning will be far superior...job offers, patents, etc...

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

martininsocal

Reaction
Just buy a diesel jetta, add programmable cervos, get GPS coordinates for the I-15 to vegas, plug them in, and hope nobody stops in front of the car while it is running! :)

If your gonna go, go BIG

Crayfish

Reaction
There is an old saying "how to make 1 million dollars in off road racing, start with two million".

Perfect example of that.

Crayfish

ESB4130

Reaction
can it be remote driven? if so all you need is some heavy duty servos and an awesome radio. put them on a prerunner with a camera ahead on it and control it from the passenger seat of a chase truck. if "no human input" means that it has to be programmed...then keep the same servos and everything and all the controls, give it a big enough fuel cell to not need re-fuelin, and youd just have to develoup a basic route to follow on a laptop with some basic AI brain, similar to the kind of improvising computers used in video games. if you had a video game programmer , 15000 in overhead funds, and a reliable and fast prerunner, you could at least follow the rules and finish the race. winning is just a matter of being the fastest.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Not that easy. You have to develop the software to be able to take route inputs 2 hours prior to the race. It has to be fully autonomous...you push go and then see it at the finish line. It needs the ability to refuel itself. It needs to have some serious logic to traverse through the desert...especially if it has the ability to get stuck.

Kris

mxjeremy

Reaction
The thing that shocked me was that you are allowed to leave the ground for no more than 30 second jumps. 30 seconds in the air is a long time! I know that on my dirtbike I can't stay in the air for 30 seconds. 20, 25 secons tops, but no way 30. So why wouldn't you build a vehicle that can jump over rough sections, cars, etc. instead of trying to navigate through them?

I was also thinking on the road you would want to blast up to 200mph or so, but your chase vehicle would never be able to keep up with that, and also be fast in the dirt. Sounds like a fun contest though. I might just put a 3 gallon tank on my TMAXX, zip tie the throttle open, and hope I get lucky.

late.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
They said that so people would not come to the competition with an unmanned aircraft type robot...since the whole purpose is to make it a ground race for developing ground exploration vehicles for the future.

Kris

martininsocal

Reaction
So my idea still works, you can program 2 hours in advance, there are already anti-collision devides available with autonomous detection (ibelieve BMW and some Chevy products have them as options), so as long as you get good GPS coordinates prior to the race, the Jetta should work!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

PBC_Tacoma_Kid

Reaction
ok i may have misread your post but are you saying you could jump in the air on a bike for 20seconds? I think you would need wings to be in the air that long? Am i confused or were you just mistaken with your number?

michael_loomis

Reaction
i think it just "seems " that long cause he'd be out jumping the world best by about 4 or 5 ....hundred feet ! lol :)

Tom

Reaction
Think out of the box. I work at Raytheon Missile Systems as a software engineer and believe me the software logic is available. And as far as the 30 second thing, think balloons. If you can't go through, go over. And if you get stuck, inflate a balloon or two. Testing time to adapt the logic to a specific vehicle to make it work in all possible conditions and situations would be a challange