Anybody remember Tom Strongs Class 4?? Need Photo's

Mark Newhan

Reaction
I bought the chasis... it is rough. With VORRA doing the vintage racing, I thought I would build this truck, but convert it to a two wheel drive. I also had a huge surprise that I will share later;)

Is Tom Strong still still around?

Here is a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• SCAN0020.jpg
    SCAN0020.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 827
  • or-carp11349n1.jpg
    or-carp11349n1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 918

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
I checked all my old photos for that truck thinking I had some others but the only photo I have is the one you posted. Good luck on the build.

Offspring

Reaction
I bought the chasis... it is rough. With VORRA doing the vintage racing, I thought I would build this truck, but convert it to a two wheel drive. I also had a huge surprise that I will share later;)

Wads of cash inside the tubing?

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
very cool find. its nice to see the old school trucks, cars pop up and put back togather.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction

Mark,

I have a few, I'll look for them and e-mail them to you. Ive always liked that truck, he was usually the only one to give Rod some pressure but usually had tons of downtime. Pretty fast truck from what I remember!

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Mark,

I have a few, I'll look for them and e-mail them to you. Ive always liked that truck, he was usually the only one to give Rod some pressure but usually had tons of downtime. Pretty fast truck from what I remember!

I do remember it well. Thanks Rory!

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Hey Nick,

Found it on RDC, Truck ran in the early to mid 80's. Not sure who built it, but it is very nice fab work. 1.75 chromolly cage. It has a couple of cracks, nothing major. The sheetmetal is very. very rough. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet. Announcement to come soon.

NicksTrix

Reaction
10-4 well it ran in my era. i'll see if i can find any pics of it.
if the sheet metal rusty or just bend up? lots of repair panels avail for that era truck.
did you get just the chassis?
good luck on it. looks like a fun project. you get your other truck done and painted in miller american colors yet? ;)

Mark Newhan

Reaction
10-4 well it ran in my era. i'll see if i can find any pics of it.
if the sheet metal rusty or just bend up? lots of repair panels avail for that era truck.
did you get just the chassis?
good luck on it. looks like a fun project. you get your other truck done and painted in miller american colors yet? ;)

It is getting a makeover. There are some pic's in this thread... toward the end. The sheetmetal is damaged from a light rollover. Whoever had it before the guy I got it from made a rock crawler out of it. They cut the bottom of the cab and doors off. LMC truck has tons of panels available.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53985

harleys dad

Reaction
I remeber that truck, I have it on a video at the 1983 HDRA Barstow classic going threw the pits and off the start at the college. What I remember most about that particular truck is how much the front wheels went back and forth (as in toed in and out as it went) as the truck was going around the wide turn threw the college. My friends videod all classes leaving the start line and finishing the 1st lap. It rained the entire race. I havent watched the tape in a looong time but that stood out because of the front wheels. It was almost like they were working against each other. I think something was hanging down up front also like maybe a sway bar or something like that

Mark Newhan

Reaction
I remeber that truck, I have it on a video at the 1983 HDRA Barstow classic going threw the pits and off the start at the college. What I remember most about that particular truck is how much the front wheels went back and forth (as in toed in and out as it went) as the truck was going around the wide turn threw the college. My friends videod all classes leaving the start line and finishing the 1st lap. It rained the entire race. I havent watched the tape in a looong time but that stood out because of the front wheels. It was almost like they were working against each other. I think something was hanging down up front also like maybe a sway bar or something like that

The tires moving is a result of torque steer. He used to haul arse for a 4x4. I was there is '83.

flyingford

Reaction
Awsome truck!!! I would keep it as a 4wd because it always helps getting out of corners and land rush starts. Plus the more the merrier, right?
Id love to see the videos and pics of it back in the day

BajaDale

Reaction
Found this pic, I thought I had more of it? If you spot anything that looks familiar i'll try harder looking up pics. If it is this truck I know alot of it's history from the mid to late 80's. Doesn't really look close in the cage area but things get painted and changed? No wing on the roof either?

Sparky

Reaction
Sweet find. The good old days of big thick leaf springs and quad Ranchos on each corner. My kidneys ache just thinking about it!

DeCampRacing

Reaction
That's a cool truck! I've seen that thing out wheelin' with 40's on it. Did you get the motor, Trans, running gear etc.? Great fixer!