Anyone attending this year's SolidWorks conference in SD?

jesusgatos

RDC Crypto
Website
www.trailslesstraveled.com
I mentioned in another thread that I was headed down to San Diego (Jan 20-23rd) to attend the SolidWorks conference and Scott sent me an email saying he was going too. So, is anybody else going to be there? We should definitely hook-up because I'm sure we'll all want to attend some of the same workshops (weldments!) and stuff.

curtnrod19

RDC Crypto
is there a website for the solid works conference's? we got solid works 07 and i have no clue how to use it.... thanks

Curtis Beard

DRIVE Jon

RDC Crypto
Hey Jesse!

I am interested! I am gonna talk to my employer to get registered. Pm me with your schedule (travel, and the talks you are attneding). Looks like I may be able to buy you that beer I owe you!

Jon

jesusgatos

RDC Crypto
Website
is there a website for the solid works conference's? we got solid works 07 and i have no clue how to use it.... thanks

Curtis Beard
Guess you missed the link in my first post, huh? Haha. Here you go.

Just tell them to pull their heads out. Solidworks seems to get worse every year. :mad:
Are you talking about the software? Seriously?

Hey Jesse!

I am interested! I am gonna talk to my employer to get registered. Pm me with your schedule (travel, and the talks you are attneding). Looks like I may be able to buy you that beer I owe you!

Jon
I'm flying into SD on Sunday morning (20th) and flying out on Wednesday night (23rd). Not sure where I'm staying (have to look up the reservation) and I haven't registered for any of the workshops yet. Last year I just sort of bounced around and it worked out great. There were a few hands-on classes that were full, but I was still able to hang out and look over someone's shoulder. Give me a call (541.382.9900 - office / 831.423.5060 mobile).

DRIVE Jon

RDC Crypto
Sounds good Jesse, I will register by the end of the day...just tryin to find that number that Go Engineer gave me.

The workshops i would like to check out are, weldments, routing-works, anything on assemblies, large assemblies, and something on the lofting stuff would be cool. Probably lots of other stuff I would be interested in too. I don't know if my work will let me do all three days, but I will see! Ill call you later.

Jon

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
RDC Crypto
Website
www.mikesracephoto.com
Are you talking about the software? Seriously?

Yes, Seriously. Every new release has less functionality. Things that worked in the past are no longer possible. When working in a sketch if a line becomes over defined it doesn't highlight the offending conflict, the whole sketch becomes over defined. How would it be if your car had a problem and instead of generating the trouble code it just generated every trouble code? I also have a constant problem with bent parts mated in assembly's when the mated surface migrates to an adjacent surface which (blows up) the mates in the whole assy. I could go on....:(

jesusgatos

RDC Crypto
Website
Huh. I don't want to argue with you, and it sounds like you've been using SW a lot longer than me, but in the newer releases when something is over-defined you can choose whether to have SolidWorks find any conflicts and automatically fix them, or highlight the conflicts so you can fix them manually. I run a design studio and a lot of designers have similar complaints about those type of software programs. I can see where you're coming from, but it seems like that's sort of the nature of the beast. As we're able to do more with the software, it kind of has to get a little more complicated, doesn't it? The other thing I would point out is that SW is remarkably good at responding to their customers needs. I forget the exact percentage, but something like over 80-90% of the enhancements that they make from year-to-year come directly from their customers requests and feedback. I wish more companies operated like that. I guess what I'm saying is that it might be worth your time to talk to SW about the problems you have with their software. They'll really listen.

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
RDC Crypto
Website
www.mikesracephoto.com
I think that is their problem. They are trying to make it all everything and they are watering down features to be more broad based. It used to be mostly geared towards mechanical applications. It is way better than drawing three views in 2d. When I went to school it was autocad 8, Ha Ha. When it highlights the problems, it highlights every dimension and constraint in the whole part. If I'm doing a complex part the last thing I need is the program doing stuff on it's own to help. No HAL for me. I don't mean to come across all agro, It's just me, I run on pure adrenaline. LOL
I have reported all these but they rarely have a fix, It's usually a work around.

DRIVE Jon

RDC Crypto
Ok Jesse, i am registered as of today.

I looked at the agenda for the show...WOW...there is a ton of stuff. Looks like any of the subjects repeat each following day, so person going to all 3 days could see quite a bit.

Here are some workshops that caught my eye. So many its hard to choose. I may only be able to get out of work for one day. Monday may be the day for me?

Jon

Mon
1:30 - 2:30
-Pipe routing: Wes Mosier
-Designing and analyzing weldments: Stephen Endersby (Hands-on)

2:45 - 3:45
-Weldments 101
-intro to SW Routing Tubing..etc: Randy Simmons (Hands-On)

Tues
1:30 - 2:30
-Pipe and Tube Routing
-Weldments Profile Management, basic creation

2:45 - 3:45
-Weldments...Does it have to be welded?: (Hands-on)

4:30 - 6:00
-10 years of tips and tricks: Phil Snyder
-Intro to SW toolbox

Wed
10:30-12
-Efficient Sheet Metal modeling
-Sheet-metal, Why do it like this/that?
-Working around large assys

jesusgatos

RDC Crypto
Website
Oh, glad to hear that. I talked to Scott_F earlier today and I think he's headed down too. I'll be there Mon-Wed. I'm sure you notice that some of the classed conflict, but I was able to get to almost all of the ones I wanted to attend over the three days. I think tomorrow is the last day to pre-register for classes and I'd suggest signing up for any of the hands-on classes you want to get into. They actually provide everyone with a workstation and then take the whole class through an exercise. I'm going with press credentials so I don't need to pre-register, but I won't be hands-on unless there are open computers. I'll still sit-in on some of those classes with you though.

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
As a weldment. At least, that's the easiest way to do it. Notching tubes at intersections is a breeze. Weldments are 100% yet, but they are improving on them each year.

On the older versions you could only notch a strait tube. I only have 2005 so this might have changed? It was a pain dividing up your tubes so that you could notch them as nothing with a bend in it could be notched.

jesusgatos

RDC Crypto
Website
Good news for anyone that's using SW, but wasn't able to attend this conference:

I'll be able to get copies of the presentations and they've told me that it's OK for me to distribute and share those. So, take a look at the agenda (day-by-day) and let me know if you want notes from any of these lectures or hands-on workshops. I've already been to a few of them today and they're pretty good. The best part about most of these classes, is that they're being taught by the people who are developing the software so I'm getting great answers whenever I ask any questions.

Speaking of that: I'll have an opportunity to meet with any of the SW employees that are responsible for different areas of the software (I have an appt with Mr. Weldments in a few minuntes), so if any of you have questions or complaints (pappawheely), voice them here or send me a PM and I'll pass them on.

V8Ranger

RDC Crypto
Jesse,

If you don't mind, I'd love to have a copy of some of the notes. Anything that seems worthwhile to have (weldments, pipe & tube routing, sheetmetal, Tips & Tricks, Cosmos, etc). Let me know what I need to do to get them from you.

Thanks!