Anyone been to Maui?

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
My Mom, brother and I are planing a trip to Maui in Sept. We are gonna stay in some condo there.

Any of you ever been to Maui? This will be my first trip and am lookin for stuff to do there. So far we are gonna go snorkeling, kayaking and drinking fruity drinks out of coconuts... A luau also.

Anything else we should check out?

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
If you like to fish, do it. If you like to surf, lot's of places that are fun without getting your but in a sling. Take
a dive class much better then snorkeling. Hike the mountians, just cruise around. Great place. Nice people. Have fun.

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
My Mom, brother and I are planing a trip to Maui in Sept. We are gonna stay in some condo there.

Any of you ever been to Maui? This will be my first trip and am looking for stuff to do there. So far we are gonna go snorkeling, kayaking and drinking fruity drinks out of coconuts... A luau also.

Anything else we should check out?

well me i hated every day i was in hawaii but i was stuck there for 4 months there is no escape i felt trapped i wanted away from the place

but that is me i am one that likes to be able to go where ever i like

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
If you like to fish, do it. If you like to surf, lot's of places that are fun without getting your but in a sling. Take
a dive class much better then snorkeling. Hike the mountians, just cruise around. Great place. Nice people. Have fun.
I am actually NAUI certified and done lots of scube but my family hasnt. We are gonna do some downhill bike thing and take a hike to "some seven sacred pools" place. I would like to go kick Dog the bounty hunter in the nuts.:rolleyes:

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
well me i hated every day i was in hawaii but i was stuck there for 4 months there is no escape i felt trapped i wanted away from the place

but that is me i am one that likes to be able to go where ever i like
Island fever? Yeah it's fun for a few weeks. Then you can get claustrofobia.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
I am actually NAUI certified and done lots of scube but my family hasnt. We are gonna do some downhill bike thing and take a hike to "some seven sacred pools" place. I would like to go kick Dog the bounty hunter in the nuts.:rolleyes:
There are also some Moto adventure rides there that I hear are really fun.

PARTS PIMP

Reaction
try the road to HANA 1 lane with cliffs and tour busses. the scenery is awesome. lots of water falls. dont go to the beach were the princess was murderd. had 2 bad experieces one year after another. cruz to some towns lahiana, paia(an old hippie town) and cut of dogs ole ladies mullit

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Where on the island are you staying? North side, Lahaina (north side) has cheeseburgers in paradise and a cool beachfront town. Be sure to make a trip up to the top of Haleakala to watch sunrise.
South side of the island, Kihei is a cool town, and be sure to check out Makaha (AKA Big Beach). Killer skimboarding if you like to skim.
And if you hike up and over the rock formation to the north while on big beach, you'll be looking at Little Beach, where bathing suits are optional.:)
I highly recommend checking that out.

Oh, and beware of locals selling something called "kukus" (they won't admit it at the time)
Lets just say it looks really convincing, but you'll realize you've been had:rolleyes:

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Where on the island are you staying? North side, Lahaina (north side) has cheeseburgers in paradise and a cool beachfront town. Be sure to make a trip up to the top of Haleakala to watch sunrise.
South side of the island, Kihei is a cool town, and be sure to check out Makaha (AKA Big Beach). Killer skimboarding if you like to skim.
And if you hike up and over the rock formation to the north while on big beach, you'll be looking at Little Beach, where bathing suits are optional.:)
I highly recommend checking that out.

Oh, and beware of locals selling something called "kukus" (they won't admit it at the time)
Lets just say it looks really convincing, but you'll realize you've been had:rolleyes:
southside

nickhead

Reaction
Maui is good, the seven "sacred" pools is cool if you hit it right.. when I went it was dry for a few days so the pools were pretty week.. IMO if its dry, and has not rained for a bit, dont waste your time.. but the road to Hana is cool.. then if you continue all the way its a long dirt windy road.. along the shore.. IF YOU DO IT START EARLY IN THE DAY.. its an all day event if you stop along the way, say at "Black Sand beach" etc.. cause we started about lunch time and ran out of daylight.. If you have a chance pick up the "Secrets of Maui" book.. its a blue covered book that will tell you every good place to go, and all the info you need. I stayed in Kaanapali and from there good snorkling is 30mins north.. then continue and you will hit (with the info from the book) the "pools" and then the blowhole.. its cool..:D

nickhead

Reaction
try the road to HANA 1 lane with cliffs and tour busses. the scenery is awesome. lots of water falls. dont go to the beach were the princess was murderd. had 2 bad experieces one year after another. cruz to some towns lahiana, paia(an old hippie town) and cut of dogs ole ladies mullit
Whoa.. Black Sand Beach.. I had no problems, but I did not go swimming in the caves either.. too sketchy for me..

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Dan - Call me..... We did Maui the year our daughter was born.... Definitely gotta do the sunrise Haleakala Bike Ride - It's awesome and you get to see the sunrise over Haleakala at the beginning..... Snorkeling of course..... BOOZE CRUISE for sure..... Road to Hana was pretty cool - we did it in a converible Mustang, but plan for a whole day and understand the best part is the drive, not the destination. Once you get to Hana, it's got all the amenities of that gas station we stopped at on the way home from Caliente. The Luau is good - although, I only remember ordering more and more Mai-Tais..... It may have sucked and I wouldn't remember it....

We'll be back in Maui again this October - Leaving straight from Vegas I thinkafter the SNORE 250.

PLS

Reaction
We were there about 8 months ago, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Zip lines. We had a lot of fun on those. The ones down in the rain forest are more scenic, but the ones up in the hills behind LaHaina are longer and more fun.

If things haven't got any better economically over there, don't book too many things in advance. You can get great deals booking once you get there and negotiating some breaks.

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Oh yah, forgot about the ziplines.... We will be doing them this time as my wife won't be "with child..."

I just realized, she'll be able to have fun on the booze cruise too now... :D

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
We were there about 8 months ago, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Zip lines. We had a lot of fun on those. The ones down in the rain forest are more scenic, but the ones up in the hills behind LaHaina are longer and more fun.

If things haven't got any better economically over there, don't book too many things in advance. You can get great deals booking once you get there and negotiating some breaks.
Zip lines have now been added to the itinerary. Awesome.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
STAY away from the "poi(SP?) at the luaa(SP?)!!!
Tastes like duck crap, i think.

And, fun also is trying to pronounce thangs over there!
(specially after a few of them fruity drinks!) There's only
13 letters in the language.

Zip lines are way kewl!

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
Man looks like I should have stayed out of "Cheeseburgers and Paradise". Sounds like there's a lot more to do over there than drink and sit on the beach:D

hammer down racing

Reaction
I went to Maui when my wife was pregnant also. We missed out on the bike ride and stuff like that. The Road to Hana is pretty bitchen. My wife didn't trust me in the rental car after hearing all the horror stories so we took the tour bus. It was bitchen, we went to the winery and stopped at a bunch of cool places that I would have passed by if I was driving. If you are going for a little surfing September isn't the greatest month for waves. Now that we have been we want to go back pretty bad.

Laurie

Reaction
I have two daughters that live on Maui, I sure love visiting them. I recommend Atlantis submarine. My daughter used to be one of the pilots but is doing other things now, my son in law still works there. It's a real submarine. But a little expensive but worth it. There are so many good restaurants, I like the General Store in Upcountry near Makawao. I love Makena Beach, it's pretty calm. I had a couple turtles come up to me there.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Good thread, we were planning to go there in September for our honeymoon but I'm still trying to do Jamaica instead...