Anyone else have issues with baja pits and fuel???

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
This year at the Baja 1k we had some fuel isses with Baja pits..Not the correct fuel and not having our fuel at rm 950ish and rm 1050 ish....Was not what we needed and if in the hunt would have been a game changer..How was your Baja pits experience??

randy s

Reaction
we wont use em'. we signed up with em' a couple of years back and had early problems with the truck. we pulled in to the pit in laguna salada and we were out of water having to put what water we had in the radiator. they didn't even have any water for us to drink for crissakes. i even asked for melted ice water out of their ice chests and they looked at me like i was crazy. one gal that was there with em' gave us a little bit from her personal stash but not too much more than a cup full. frankly, they looked chitfaced to me ...no water at a pit stop to drink after paying whatever the price was? you gotta be joking. no joke..i was livid and won't even consider using those guys ever again. we used ensenada pits who were working with mag 7 for this past 1000 and were real pleased with the service we got from them and we've been working with ensenada pits by themselves for the past few races and we've had satisfactory pits stops with these new guys. they've always been there for us and we'll use them in the future for sure. you can have baja pits. never again for us. no f u c k i n g water to drink? i'm still pissed off about that to this day..

ML Racer

Reaction
We were overheating and pulled into one of their pits somewhere between RM 950 & 1050 and asked if they had any water for the car and they started to grab (someone's) fuel can and fill us up! Took a while to get the message across we were only needing water!!

harleys dad

Reaction
The last time I used them I raced class 11 in 2006 to La Paz, the first pit at nuavo JCT was fine, BUT when I left the San Felipe pit I went about a mile and the car started to ping in a terrible way as if nova pemex had been put in. In the sand it got even worce. I had 2 fuel tanks in the car, the stock up front that was still full of 9.5 gallons of good race fuel and a 22 gallon larger tank behind the seats that we had been running on since the start I could not use anymore(unless I wanted to scater the engine across Baja). Our race was suddenly dependent on a 9 gallon tank in a car that was averaging 6-7mpg and could no way make our pit stops. There are some good people in Baja pits but some others I could have hung from a lamp post

newdad

Reaction
we wont use em'. we signed up with em' a couple of years back and had early problems with the truck. we pulled in to the pit in laguna salada and we were out of water having to put what water we had in the radiator. they didn't even have any water for us to drink for crissakes. i even asked for melted ice water out of their ice chests and they looked at me like i was crazy. one gal that was there with em' gave us a little bit from her personal stash but not too much more than a cup full. frankly, they looked chitfaced to me ...no water at a pit stop to drink after paying whatever the price was? you gotta be joking. no joke..i was livid and won't even consider using those guys ever again. we used ensenada pits who were working with mag 7 for this past 1000 and were real pleased with the service we got from them and we've been working with ensenada pits by themselves for the past few races and we've had satisfactory pits stops with these new guys. they've always been there for us and we'll use them in the future for sure. you can have baja pits. never again for us. no f u c k i n g water to drink? i'm still pissed off about that to this day..

Well I guess we know how to piss you off at the next race. LOL. We had a bad experience with them a couple of years ago at the 1K in San Felipe. They didn't have a large enough air compessor to get the lugs off of two different TT's. It was a total fiasco. And I think some of the guys at that pit had a few to many to drink as well. IMO, I think they are great for the bikes or maybe the 1600 classes, but anything bigger, and there is going to be problems.

VIEJAS_RACING

Reaction
We assisted a Japanese motorcycle rider who was signed up with Baja Pits. We got him to the San Felipe Baja Pit and they looked at us like why were we bothering them. Even when we told them that he paid for their service they still said, "What do you want us to do about it." Finally a couple of them helped the Japanese rider.

I would never use or recommend Baja Pits after that.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
On an unrelated note. The Baja pits guys @ rm 350 (El Crucero) helped me out with some much needed fluids, after a hard night in Calamuge wash.
Thanks Baja Pits!

az_amsoil

Reaction
I'd be pissed if I paid for pit service any one of the pit crew was drinking during the race. At some point you have to make a choice, hold off on the booze until your done pitting or don't pit and specate with your booze. Too many things that can go wrong when you mix in alcohol...

texasguy415

Reaction
Locos Mocos helped us late in the night in the middle of nowhere(granted its all almost in the middle of nowhere). They did not know us but we pulled in and they went to work. Did get some stickers for the truck which will remain on next year. Thanks guys. BFG Pits also awesome. Gave us a chance to finish late in the race. And their radio relay is awesome. No matter where we were broke we were able to communicate with our team. Was going change a A arm at Baja pits but after talking to a couple of their guys decided to keep going to our next pit.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
The power of the media has shown some hope..Carlos from Baja pits has called our team caption and has concerns about the complaints!! I think this shows class as he wants to fix the issues! Stay tuned!!! I know Riveira racing used them and won many times.....Hope to see a change.

Anaconda Racing

Reaction
As a racer - I always use baja pits when i race - top notch organzation - top to bottom- Carlos puts his heart for baja pits sometimes to hour sleep to get ready with the logistics.
ML racer- if you come to a pit of course the pit is waiting to pit on you-- Gas or tire Change---- dont trip---
Randy s- pit had a limited supply of water they gave you some water--- you also wanted somebody ice chest water -wow
Harleys dad-- Aka Dave Hendrickson--- Be careful what you say - My Dad is also a Baja pit Member for 22 years.
Ernie Negrete- Negrete Boys Racing.... you guys got my vote for Pit support of the year.......

harleys dad

Reaction
I dont care how long your dad has been involved, I never mentioned your dad. Baja pits is a lot of people, some great some shady in my opinion. It cannot be denied, with 2 fuel tanks the tank BAJA PITS put gas in they did not put leaded race gas I paid high dollar for in my car and I nearly lost an engine because of it. It is quite obvious when you leave the pit when everything was fine go down the road into town and you have to lift your foot of the gas because the motor is knocking and pinging its self to death. I know others that had the same damn problem at that same pit. I am not going to hide or keep it a secret, someone screwd the pooch big time in 06. like it or not. WOULD YOU BE HAPPY if they did it to you? A simple turn of a lever told the whole story, front tank nobody touched motor runs great, back tank they filled forget it Obviusly something is going on for a thread like this to begin!---David Hendrickson

randy s

Reaction
As a racer - I always use baja pits when i race - top notch organzation - top to bottom- Carlos puts his heart for baja pits sometimes to hour sleep to get ready with the logistics.
ML racer- if you come to a pit of course the pit is waiting to pit on you-- Gas or tire Change---- dont trip---
Randy s- pit had a limited supply of water they gave you some water--- you also wanted somebody ice chest water -wow
Harleys dad-- Aka Dave Hendrickson--- Be careful what you say - My Dad is also a Baja pit Member for 22 years.
Ernie Negrete- Negrete Boys Racing.... you guys got my vote for Pit support of the year.......
they didn't give me chit. a girl hanging out with the team gave us a little water from her small igloo. they said they passed the water out to chase crews...chase crews? and yeah, damned right i'd drink ice chest water. you've obviously never been thirsty in the desert before..when you're out of anything to drink, you can think of nothing else..look. i'm sure there are competent people working with baja pits. it would just be nice if some of them were at the pit on laguna salada. oh, they did offer to give us a couple of quarts of motor oil they had left over..and we didn't even have to ask for it either..wow...WAFJ..

Zambo

Reaction
The Baja Pits of today is not the same as it was a few years ago. Carlos has been doing a good job getting that organization to be better each year. That being said, they are people just like the rest of us and aren't always perfect. I don't think there is a race team out there that doesn't screw up basic stuff every race and expecting Baja Pits to be any different is foolish. I have had a few experiences where they didn't have the gas or gave the wrong gas or whatever....but those times are few compared to the many times where they have gone above and beyond to help fix our vehicle and get it to the finish line. There are a lot of people at Baja Pits who are second to none in the desert and that's a fact.

The 1000 peninsula run has to be very difficult to line up enough qualified and experienced and responsible people to man 20 pits.

Carlos, if you're reading this I say good job and keep working hard. One debrief point I would make is to try and publish the EXACT location of the pits sometime before the race rather than just a general mileage area. For instance, at the San Carlos pit west of Constitucion, they were set up a mile down the narrow dirt course AFTER the pavement section with no sign on the highway showing the way. Our race truck assumed he had missed the pit and did not want to commit down that road and risk running out of gas, especially since the pit is advertised at RM956 which is on the highway and is actually located at 958. He had to drive back and forth up and down the highway, getting swarmed by fans until he found somebody that knew where the pit was. It was also impossible for chase trucks to get to that pit without going down the course in an area where there is little place to pull over.

Besides that however, your guys were instrumental in use getting to the finish line. A special shout out to the Locos Mocos guys out near San Fransiquito for doing a great job as always.

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
Mag7 is the real deal. Always running up to help, they were on it looking over the buggy and dumping fuel with out us saying a word about who we were. offering water or juice bags. I must have looked pathetic trying to poke the straw in the juice bag, at that point the fine motor skills in my finger tips were a little off. I just held it up and they gabbed it back and poked the straw in for me. I felt bad tossing it back out the net when I was done with it. All in all a great experiance with MAG7. They made our race experiace even better. BFG tires were awesome, not a flat on the racecar and only one on a chase truck. Their pit at mile 1020 or so wasn't as helpful as they could have been. My co-driver ran up and said we need help , we were a 1/4 mile past them and lost power and they didnt even move. A guy from another pit there offered to help. fortunatly our chase was only 1 mile away and were on us like a kid on a sticker. Silt plays heck on alternators.
MAG7 . They may stay in the crappiest looking camp ground in Ensenada, but they are a class act all the way.

Catnap Co-Dog

Reaction
Cant speak for the team but from my point of view no issues. They gave us status all day on our overdue truck. No attitude, but sometimes a chuckel. We were that guy this time. After a transmission change and other adventures the truck made it to just short of Gonzaga. The fulcrum for the pedal assy had snaped and the drivers held it together with hose clamps. Pretty nice job... After talking to the Baja Pits guys they rolled out the welder a box of scrap metal that included the tube we would need for the pivot. Told the boss we could do it in an hour. He said it looked like more. He was right. We copied the CNC fulcrum on some 1/8" mild steel and cut it up. Four Baja pits guys grabbed one piece each and started shaping. In about an hour and thirty minutes we had it "fabbed up" and the intallation started. 20 minutes later it was in and we tested it. A little flex in it but the driver OKed it and took off after his one hour nap. Lotsa smiling faces personal satisfaction from Ivans crew. They offered us menudo from their giant caldron. It was amazing! Thanks again! Then, since I was done I popped a beer. I was quickly advised by a young Baja Pits guy that there is a standing no beer in the pits policy and I ate my menudo outside their pits on the tailgate. Couldn't picture better support.

Hayward Racing

Reaction
I personally have nothing but good things to say about Carlos and Baja Pits. Couple years ago I broke down in Jacume it was like 115 degrees and Carlos made sure that I made it back to camp and that his guys rescued my bike.

At the last 500 we used Mag7 and man those guys rock! Pits were on point... They had water, food, made the right adjustments, and went out and looked for our guy when they heard he was having problems knowing he was in TT/Class1 sheeeet sandwhich. After my last ride at the rider exchange I was greeted with 2 hot links, 2 beers, & and a gummy saver shot.

Waldo and and the Pork Pits guys are a class act as well. I hung out with these guys at Mag7 Pit seven at RM410 and those dudes were on it. Every pit looked liked it went as fast as the rider/driver wanted it to and they had extra gas, food, water, etc. Couple of 1 cars rolled a few miles past the pit and when they got em back in they immediately jumped in the fray trying to get the cars repaired all while still running smooth pits.

Baja Fool

Reaction
......I know Riveira racing used them and won many times.....Hope to see a change.

FYI-I was with Riviera Racing for the last eight years he raced and never used Baja pits in Mexico. Maybe before that....now, back to the topic.

Last edited: