• Forum membership has its advantages....

anyone ever make toy 2wd lift spindles

geoff

I am looking to make a set of lift spindles form a set of stock 2wd spindles. Anyone ever try this before, or does it make more sense to start from the ground up? Thanks.

Mathmatics is the language of nature.

Tyson

You may want to look at the MDR post in the general discussion board. Everyone there seems to think that it should not be done, however I am having a set made. Also total chaos makes a lift with 3" lift spindles, (chaosfab.com) and so does ATS (I believe its ATSracing.com) you can try them. They make the lift spindles out of stockers and build in the lift and plate the whole thing.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

JasonHutter

atsracing.biz

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I think The Chaos spindle is only raises the upper ball joint / uniball mounting point. I think a company called Bullseye does make a raised spindal but not too sure, Any help?

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

geoff

Ok... what about a Bodylift instead?

Since i cant lift the spindles too easily i may as well get the fenderwell / firewall clearance by using a bodylift. The truck is an 87 so it seems like it has less clearance than the 89 . I want to avoid stuffing my 31s into the firewall, so any brand recommendations? Any crap i will run into (shifter, steering, pains in the ass etc)

thanks

cleartoy

Re: Ok... what about a Bodylift instead?

Total Chaos has a listing on their website that 84-88 Toys need 2" bodylift to clear 31s, wheras 89-95 toys do not.

A buddy of mine did a bodylift on his 95, and i remeber something about the steering shaft being kinda short. THat was a long time ago, so i dont remember the particulars.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

firedog

We are running 33's on our toy 2wd race truck. I does not have a body lift or lift spindles. The cab is in the stock location. What we did to get the clearence for the tires was to cut out all the inner fenders and tube it out (engine cage) and then we cut the wheel well and pushed it back a few inches then welded some new metal in place. We don't rub anywhere, hope it helps.
Paul

Tyson

Yeah hey Geoff, if you can cut out the fender wells and plate it all back up tighter like Fire guys did do it - they have a sweet set up (33's on that thing - hell yeah) Do you have a LT on your truck? I would make a body lift the very last resort (I have a 2" that I'm gonna pull out as soon as I get the spindles done) But you will have to extend the steering shaft but they give you the piece to do it. Oh and they say to cut and extend you shifter but I didnt and it works great, but like I said only as a last resort.

Hey does anyone know of a website or a number for Bullseye? I'd like to get some info on their spindle if they really make one.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

geoff

Thats pretty crazy, how much sag/droop/downtravel whatever its called (how many inches can you lift the truck off the ground before the tires lift up) is the suspension set at? I tried setting it at 2" and the ride was far too harsh so then i went to 4" and things feel pretty good but i gotta stop the rubbing... at about 9" of travel it sounds like a gremlin is eating away at my car. I think that a body lift might help tho, i dont reallyw ant to cut too much away as this is still a street driven truck.

vwguy

i really recomend cutting away and weldign in new shetmetal even if it is a mainly street driven truck

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

JasonHutter

I tell you what, tomorrow or the next day, we are going to have our buddy take some pictures of some steering components for Pat K. We will take some close-ups of the fender wells also.

Jason

geoff

Gracias - I look forward to it. that hacking away will commence immediately...

fishd00d

What A Joke

I am going to be hacking the firewall back also. I have plenty of room in the back to run 35's and my inner fenders wells will be gone so I just need to move the firewall back a little bit to fit the 35's!

Go Big Or Go Home

Marshall

Jason, Did you loose much foot room? Do you have any trouble with pedals, master cylinders or brake boosters? Or is that all custom? Thanks,MW

firedog

Our truck has the stock pedals (clutch, brake, gas) in the stock location. The brake booster/master cylinder are stock also, no problems with them. Basically we cut along the bottom of the wheel well towards the center of the truck about 10" or so then cut and then from the bottom up the outside of the wheel well about 10" or so then grabbed a BIG hammer and went to town, moving the stock sheet metal back. Once we had it where we liked it we tacked it in place (the stock stuff) then formed a piece to fit over the stock metal (cover up the cuts) and welded it into place. What we did have to do is trim the bracket that the stock pedals mount to and move the fuse box. Also the line that comes out of the clutch master cylinder had to be relocated out of the way so the tire wouldn't hit it on full compression. The foot room didn't suffer that much it's a little less but, there really wasn't all that much to begin with. Hope that helps.
Paul

JasonHutter

Any of the foot room we lost is all on the far left when you look down at the pedals. So there is a little less room over on the left on the drivers side where you rest your foot and on the passenger side on the right. Not enough to make a huge difference.

Jason

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I found out an easy way to make room for taller tires: Run 33's. Forget to put stock rubber bottom stops on lower arms. Jump truck minimun 45 feet. Bottom hard and tires will make all the nesessary modifications. Further modifying may be nesessary, such as new fuse panels, brake master and some minor sheetmetal detail.

I found out the hard way.

Ryno

How was your back and kidneys feeling after that Knievel style jump Pat? My friend did pretty much the same thing in his K-5 blazer out in Glamis....went over a dune....landed about 30 feet below, and cleaned out the fenderwells, his steering shaft, and his brand new custom exhaust. Can't wait to be stupid with my truck...LOL

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I did it over the big jump at the Inland Prerunner Sandblast. Drove it home.