Anyone have info on my 1976 Subaru w/ SCORE 250 placard?

Found in a barn covered in dust and bondo:

Why I'm searching here:

The rear wing/tube bumper are kinda funky, the guy applied lots of bondo to smooth the wing out, but never got around to sanding it...

Same with the fender flares, they were to be frenched in, but look very OEM fitment under the bondo *one flare doesn't have bondo and it looks very nice*

The hood only has a few small dings

The interior and other things not bolted on all seem to be in the car

Lots more bondo.. MAN that wing looks OEM

The guy I picked it up from bought it in the early 80s/late 70s for $100 because it had no engine/trans. His g/f rolled his nearly new GL Wagon. He then swapped his mechanicals into the car.

This car was in a back yard in New Mexico on it's roof (to strip the driveline easier?) Following possible involvement in desert racing, where it suffered a slow, but race-ending roll-over.

What I've found out...

1. Has a funky lil wing (Says "Subaru" on the underside)...
2. It's a manual... (4spd, Full FWD/4WD From a later Wagon
3. It WAS a 1600 engine and FWD from the factory.
4. Here's the VIN A22L-926353
5. Had an awful aftermarket flip up sunroof venty-thing installed in the 80s.
6. Has two special order Jackmans on the rear (two survivors from GL wagon roll-over)...
7. Originally a CA car, hasn't been driven since the 80's
8. Tube front and rear bumpers (Currently removed)
9. The 1.8L engine melted in a machine shop fire in 2012
10. Originally White

Pretty rust-free, just a bunch of half-assed body work to undo.

Any advice or media on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting bits

The fiberglass parts are OEM fitment, but not off the shelf:

The previous owner used to work the track back in the day along side drivers like Parnelli Jones and Bob Gordon!!!!
Even has a box full of finishing slips from early races.

I dont believe this car is in good enough shape to do a full restoration, but return back to racing/navigation status... likely!

Additional Pictures:

As it arrived:

More pictures for fun:

Soo angry looking and I LOVE it!

Very Mad Max!

The massive tape player, with the add-on thingy *on dash* AND factory air conditioning!!! I want to keep both! :D

Dual Lids

A brochure of the fiberglass parts?

Bro_Gill

So someone struck a race plaque from the Mojave 250 on the dash. It's not a race car in the desert sense. Looks like someone was attempting to build a rally/rally look car out of what they could afford. Put a turbo 2 liter in it and be Collin McCrae!

Sheaco

You guys are Deeks! :D

Whats also odd is that you're in Ireland, or are you?
Odd Yes, But the Head stones are down right CREEPY!

It never raced in a SCORE race without a cage. I think its a case of the weird kid up the street worked with what he had after his parents gave it to him for his 44th birthday.

The auto reverse will come in handy for non stop blaring of Bag Pipes of War!

I figured that about the cage, it'd never have gotten past tech-inspection without it. So probably just used while crewing and what not.

And the guy IS a weird kid in his 50s. He put his "parts" 1989 XR4Ti on a Dodge Dakota 4x4 truck frame and a mint 1988 XR4Ti. He was the 2nd owner from the best I could tell, but from the sounds of things his "creative bondo adventures" were related to something Cheech Marin said, "You now, that stuff... That's tied to a stick!"

Yeah, auto reverse is handy (Especially for Bag Pipes of War/Dark Side of the Moon)... until it becomes worn and becomes "Auto Destruct!" I'm so keeping the tape player and dash "amp/equalizer"?

I'm originally from America... Tucson to be exact, but lived a while in Missouri too
And yup, I'm in Ireland (Though the car is in storage in America at the moment) And those pictures were at my friends garage with very easy-going and quiet neighbors!) I live in Dublin, so the car culture here is almost non-existant, but I did luck out and the house my wife and I bought earlier this year DOES have a garage, but it wouldn't fit anything over a midsize, so it's getting extended, so I can work on my projects:
2002 Subaru Impreza with a lift
1978 Subaru Coupe 5spd restoration.
(More on those later :) )

So someone struck a race plaque from the Mojave 250 on the dash. It's not a race car in the desert sense. Looks like someone was attempting to build a rally/rally look car out of what they could afford. Put a turbo 2 liter in it and be Collin McCrae!
I think you're right, but whats crazy is that the fender flares and trunk lid wing thing appear to be from a very limited run- specifically built for Subaru's early competition days (From what I've learned from a guy from Isreal that had the brochure above) He said he has never seen a set (12 to 14 sets made) and was looking for a set of these as they were "approve-able, since his car is going to be FIA spec for vintage rally." This was all news to me, I just thought they were a very nice set of custom bits.

It may have spectated that race...
I wish I knew more about that race:
What years could it be?
Were there any Subaru entries (Perhaps there's parts off it on my car)
Any pictures of the 70s Subarus floating around- especially rally?

He said he did crewing and pre-navigation of the course. But I never asked if it was for a team or he was just being a yahoo and ripped down the course right after/before the race :p

You guys are Deeks! :D

Odd Yes, But the Head stones are down right CREEPY!
HA, what's a deek?
I actually worked there in highschool, the headstones were a bit creepy at first, but then after a bit, I appreciated them, because if I were running an air-chisel until 2AM, no one complained! :) They make for great neighbors. Well, until they become zombies. :p

And for fun, but a little off-topic

1978 Subaru Coupe I have here in Ireland: I brought the wing with me on one of my visits back to America, so I can make a copy for the 78' (Picture shortly after arrival- off the ferry from a barn in England)

2002 Lifted Impreza - My Daily Driver

It never raced in a SCORE race without a cage. I think its a case of the weird kid up the street worked with what he had after his parents gave it to him for his 44th birthday.

The auto reverse will come in handy for non stop blaring of Bag Pipes of War!

Is it possible he/someone cut the cage back out? It's a pain in the ass, as I've done this for an Rx7 SCCA car to xfer over the cage. (We sacrificed the halo hoop and the floor panels as the car was being scrapped)

What kind of cage was "regulation" So I can see where the floor welds would have been next time I'm visiting family in America. OR would they have had bolt-in cages? I can check for the holes and doubler-plate locations.

(half of the roof skin is not original to the car) it was badly welded-in from a Subaru Brat perhaps? Found this out while removing the "vinyl roof" was was 1" of bondo with a layer of truck bed-liner rolled on!!!

Here's what I started with- removing the ugly:

Here's how it currently sits in storage:

Then rust removal and por15:

I wish I could see some doubler-plates in this picture, but I dont think the floor was clean enough in this pic.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

The Mojave 250 was in 1985-86 if I remember right. I don't remember any Subies racing in the desert then. I believe I have seen a Subaru print ad with those series sedans rally racing from the 1970s. The picture used is one of the sedans like what you have a foot off the ground coming over a hill. Black and white ad. Might be able to locate an archive with Subaru ads somewhere. The roof definitely looks to have a Brat skylid grafted in. When I saw the roof pic the first time. I said 'They must have chopped up a Brat!' Either way, still a cool car to play with. Ultimate sleeper with a modern drivetrain swapped in.

Shoyrtt

The 1986 Mojave 250 was one of the first desert races I attended. I was pitting for the Toyota of Orange team who ran a Class 7 truck and I believe a 1600 car at the time. As an 18 year old high school kid with a new Toyota truck they sent me out to a remote pit with some fuel, a jack and a couple of tires. I don't remember seeing any Subarus in the race or there to support a race team. I'm guessing someone got that dash plaque from a racer and put it in the car. I agree with Mr. Gill it would be a great car to swap a modern drive train into.

The Mojave 250 was in 1985-86 if I remember right. I don't remember any Subies racing in the desert then. I believe I have seen a Subaru print ad with those series sedans rally racing from the 1970s. The picture used is one of the sedans like what you have a foot off the ground coming over a hill. Black and white ad. Might be able to locate an archive with Subaru ads somewhere. The roof definitely looks to have a Brat skylid grafted in. When I saw the roof pic the first time. I said 'They must have chopped up a Brat!' Either way, still a cool car to play with. Ultimate sleeper with a modern drivetrain swapped in.
Excellent Info! That definitely narrows things down- just two years to research later :p And I'm leaning more toward the fact that this car was a supporting/crewing then and not necessary competing (No massive dents or scrapes on the underside! Which is unlike ANY post-race rally car/baja car I've ever worked on or seen :p )

And yeah, action adverts are the best, like that one Subaru Brat on the beach/dunes with people in the back jumpseats and it's got decent air under all four wheels. haha- that's a good way to piss the gals off! Feel free to pop any old Scooby literature in here. And I've already got a person interested in the sunroof, but sadly I'd have to have a friend dig it out of storage (his basement) and ship it since I've no interest in keeping it as 95% of my ideas for the car require a full roof :p I'm very much considering a USDM 2.2L Legacy Turbo driveline inserted before shipping it here OR using the 2.0L driveline from a earlier 90's WRX STi here in Ireland , the car weighs like 1600lbs, so 160-250HP would make it scoot!

Did someone say XR4Ti and it was not Jeff or I?
Would you believe the XR4Ti guy I bought it from was named Jeff...

The 1986 Mojave 250 was one of the first desert races I attended. I was pitting for the Toyota of Orange team who ran a Class 7 truck and I believe a 1600 car at the time. As an 18 year old high school kid with a new Toyota truck they sent me out to a remote pit with some fuel, a jack and a couple of tires. I don't remember seeing any Subarus in the race or there to support a race team. I'm guessing someone got that dash plaque from a racer and put it in the car. I agree with Mr. Gill it would be a great car to swap a modern drive train into.
Yes! More first-hand info! Thank you guys! Should have come here much sooner! So the dash plaque might indeed be part of the competition pack, just likely not originally from that car.

And drive train, yeah, that car is so very far from original that I think even Subaru purists would appreciate it just being back on the road. And I'm clever with a welder and know of a few machine shops here in Dublin (Think of StLouis Missouri- Population/sized but with New York pricing! So we do have quite a bit of stuff, but the prices here are NOT cheap. I think I was quoted 880 euros for re-sleeving a 4 cyl block. :p OUCH.

And how I wish I could have afforded a new pickup at age 18 haha. I'm an 80s kid, so I remember my aunt buying a new 5spd Toyota pickup on a normal salary in her early 20s, but now... That's so not going to happen even in my 30s. Ireland doesn't charge any tax on used cars, but ANYTHING new... 23% tax is added!!

Here's the picture in question that made me go, "hmmmmm" Because once I stripped the very unnecessary bondo off, the flares and wing looked SUPER similar:

And when compared to the "B Type" flares

Maybe my car is what someone stripped off a crashed rally car (Perhaps not the SCORE 250)

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Do you know where the picture of the car racing was taken? The picture doesn't look like a race course from the era in which this car would have raced, I'd assume its a Rally course.

An SCCA legal cage would have been at the minimum bolted through the floor in 6 places if it were legal in the early 80's, but most likely it would have been welded in.

It also has the original seat belts, which likely would have been removed.

It's likely the car wouldn't have been used in competition in the US, but its still worth fixing if you have the time and resource$.

Shoyrtt

Yes! More first-hand info! Thank you guys! Should have come here much sooner! So the dash plaque might indeed be part of the competition pack, just likely not originally from that car.

And drive train, yeah, that car is so very far from original that I think even Subaru purists would appreciate it just being back on the road. And I'm clever with a welder and know of a few machine shops here in Dublin (Think of StLouis Missouri- Population/sized but with New York pricing! So we do have quite a bit of stuff, but the prices here are NOT cheap. I think I was quoted 880 euros for re-sleeving a 4 cyl block. :p OUCH.

And how I wish I could have afforded a new pickup at age 18 haha. I'm an 80s kid, so I remember my aunt buying a new 5spd Toyota pickup on a normal salary in her early 20s, but now... That's so not going to happen even in my 30s. Ireland doesn't charge any tax on used cars, but ANYTHING new... 23% tax is added!!
The plaque could have been picked up a swap meet or a junk yard or the little coupe could have been the personal vehicle of a racer or pit crew member who slapped it on the dash after the race. This could also be the work of some "want to be" racer. There really is no way to tell. If you slap a Monster Energy sticker on your car, was the car owned by a racer or their pit crew, probably not. In other words, the old plaque from 85-86 really doesn't provide any real provenance.

When the Trackside Photo website was up and running you could search the old black and white photos of those old races. That would be the place to start. Sadly, this resource no longer available online. This thread really belongs in the Vintage section.

Do you know where the picture of the car racing was taken? The picture doesn't look like a race course from the era in which this car would have raced, I'd assume its a Rally course.

An SCCA legal cage would have been at the minimum bolted through the floor in 6 places if it were legal in the early 80's, but most likely it would have been welded in.

It also has the original seat belts, which likely would have been removed.

It's likely the car wouldn't have been used in competition in the US, but its still worth fixing if you have the time and resource$.

I wish I knew where that picture was taken, because that would solve a lot of questions indee. Perhaps we can date the image more by the roof light equipment...? (They shout mid-70s to early 80s to me)

There does seem to be a 6-ish point Roll cage in the picture, which makes sense, but it's very desert-ey in the picture so that only narrows down the continent list a bit. I've seen Australian, African and North/Central/South American Rallies that were very similar when in the desert.

I'm pretty sure those seatbelts came from the doner car following this car's discovery, (He stated it was a completely bare shell- as they loaded it by hand into a truck from a guys back-garden in New Mexico) but I suppose if they were upside down in the desert for just a few years, it wouldn't have destroyed Nylon. It's sturdy stuff!

And yup, it wouldn't be cheap for restoration, but I'm leaning toward nimble track car of some sort, like SCCA (or whatever the Irish Equivalent) is... haha, we only have one track, but thankfully- a good one a couple miles out of the city. Even the original 1600cc engine was 80-ish HP... That in a 1600lb car (before stripped) would be very nippy!

The plaque could have been picked up a swap meet or a junk yard or the little coupe could have been the personal vehicle of a racer or pit crew member who slapped it on the dash after the race. This could also be the work of some "want to be" racer. There really is no way to tell. If you slap a Monster Energy sticker on your car, was the car owned by a racer or their pit crew, probably not. In other words, the old plaque from 85-86 really doesn't provide any real provenance.

When the Trackside Photo website was up and running you could search the old black and white photos of those old races. That would be the place to start. Sadly, this resource no longer available online. This thread really belongs in the Vintage section.

The guy said, "I participated in lots of Desert Races back in the 70s and 80s" But I didn't really dive too far into it, because he was very reluctant about selling the car. Took me three months and several visits. He wasn't even worried about the money, though what helped was offering $100 over what he said it was worth in scrap. He kept saying, "It's worth nothing to almost everyone except me, so might as well sell it to someone that might do something with it."
I worried asking more would increase the nostalgia and make him keep it! :p ~Thankfully he didn't, as there was a competely involved fire a year later that took EVERYTHING in the shop (Sadly the rebuilt engine too)!

I assumed he got the plaquard from crewing or marshalling, but when I saw the picture above, with those flares and the guy building one "To FIA spec" stating those are the only factory correct flares- Of course AFTER I move to Ireland, so I can't inspect the car and boxes of stuff that came with it again personally... I started wondering, and trying to do research. :) And a metal plaque seems a bit more exclusive to me than stickers... BUT like you said, he could have slapped those on from a swap meet find! Hell, I had a set of Craftsman Truck Series stickies on my 1977 F150. They were just a lucky find at lumber liquidator sale. I think the owner knew a guy that raced.

I have a steel cabinet in my garage with several of those race plaques on it - I don't think it has ever raced though.
Never know! :p hehe. I've seen a toolbox racing very fast down the road after leaving a pickup bed. Though it looked like it was built more for the quarter mile than rally :p

But seriously,

Massive thanks to everyone for both PMs and posts! This place is a hive of info and makes for entertaining lunches! A shame they dont maintain historical records at the DMV! Though I suppose if people cherished all cars, they'd not be so interesting and rare later on! I own two of these little 70s Subarus and finding OEM parts in Europe is like winning small Ebay lotteries. And finding any whole, let alone RUNNING Subaru Leones.. PFT! I own the only one in Ireland (And it's the size of Missouri!) and probably imported the only one left from all of the U.K!

Good news is, it's in the hands of a car-crazy guy that looks at BIG projects as a great time.

It likely wasn't a track car/rally car, but I WILL have pictures/video of it being used on the track AND possibly even flying through the desert in North Africa. Hmm, maybe the wife and I could organize a nice holiday in Morocco... During the Morocco Rally perhaps? I could take it to Germany too, but it'd probably just be boringly topped out at 75mph the whole way round the Nurburgring.