anyone into sprint cars (winged or non winged)

UndercoverFab

i`m interested in dirt tracks in california i know where perris is and i was told theres also a track in ventura county somewhere, i haven`t been able to sell me and my partners operation so its coming with me and i`d rather race then watch it collect dust since its all pretty fresh, any info`s appreciated or if you just wanna shoot the **** get me on aim.
btw if anyones interested in purchase we have 2 2002 maxims (one roller one running) with many spares,thanks.
Brian

baldeagle

There are a few tracks not too far from LA. Ventura Fairgrounds has a 3/8th mile dirt that they run sprinters on but it is great for midgets. Santa Maria also has a small dirt track that they run on but it again it is small. Perris is by far the best dirt track in So Cal. Most of the dirt sprint cars in this area are non winged. SCRA is the sanctioning body. They run a lot in Arizona as well. You also have Irwindale Speedway, Cajon Speedway and Handford if you like to run asphalt.

Hope this helps you get racing once you get out here.

BradM

SCRA is for the non winged 410 cars. Ventura Raceway sanctions a 360 non winged class that also has a few races at Perris and Oildale (Bakersield). There are other 360 classes. Ventura runs 2 or 3 SCRA shows a year. You can get more info about ventura raceway and a schedule at Ventura raceway It is a decent track but I would say it is more like 1/4 or 5/16.

UndercoverFab

thanks for the info, the cars are winged 410`s so i guess their gonna collect dust out west to, i`m sick of racing twice a week anyway.

FABRICATOR

A major sprint car shop just closed operations in Camarillo (next to Ventura). They sold everything off on ebay (about a hundred big items) including Steve Kinsers' car. Check it out at:
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2416801046&category=6737

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2416801046&category=6737

"Steve Kinser Valvoline Sprint Race Car #11 NR
Vehicle Description

Oct. 23, 1994 Steve, and Karl Kinser raced their last race together. That event marked the end of a team that was the winningest team, not only racing history, but all of sports history. What other team had the percentage of wins, and champion ships that they had? Not the Yankees, not the Bulls, not Earnhardt and Childress, no, indeed, not any team.

When that race ended at, Devils Bowl, that car was rolled into my trailer, and has remained in my possession ever since. I have run the car at two vintage events, and at two tune and test sessions, but not for about three years. The car is exactly as it was on that day in 1994, except the mud is gone, and one front wing side panel has been replaced. Somewhere in Texas, a kid has that side panel autographed by Steve on that day.

The motor is one of Karl’s, and ran fine last time I ran it. The car no doubt needs major going over, and servicing prior to running again, but it is all there, and was all working.

Life changes, hobbies change, and I no longer have time, or space for sprint cars. This car, and two other cars, a pit mule, a near new Featherlite tag trailer, and lots of parts are also for auction at this time. I have many more small items that will show up on Ebay in the next few months, all will be at no reserve. I did not place reserves on anything, the last bidder is the winner, no matter what the price is."

UndercoverFab

i stopped selling on ebay cause i got sick of waiting for payments, the only reason that car got 20 grand was because of its history but its cool to see old memorabilia like that still floating around, i traded the sprint car haulmark trailer for a conventional one, now all i have is the cars and spares which may be getting traded for a balancing machine and align honer.

TROPHYSEDAN

We are going to start going to the races at Parris .That has been my life long dream to race a sprint car.We are talking about building a street car to start out so we can start to learn .I like going side ways.We raced there short course.Good luck.Thanks Dennis ,11 Brothers racing

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Why are the wings offset so that they are higher on one side then the other?

UndercoverFab

cornering/stability.... thats what i think anyway i`ve heard other reasons though, theres been days where the side panels have blown apart and i only really feltit in the corners, sometimes if a piece hung on and flapped around it`d feel a little twitchy on straightaways on bigger tracks (3/8th`s mile or bigger) but nothign to severe. also to a lesser degree they help airflow over/under the wing i`ve heard.

FABRICATOR

The wings are offset high and low so they both catch air. If they were both the same level, one would be behind the other and only one would be doing much work.

BradM

That was the owner of 3 day blinds. His first name is Ed and I won't attempt to spell his last name cause I would butcher it. He was the owner of the 3db car that Ron Schumann drove in SCRA for many years. He also built a 360 car and gave it a go himself at Ventura raceway a few years ago. He didn't seem to have much success behind the wheel but his cars were fast with the right drivers.

If you saw it, he had a two seater for sale at the same time as the old Kinser car. He had that built as a novelty thing. They ran it a few times like a pace car and for the flag lap at Ventura.

Out west, a lot of people seem to think that the wings are for the ladies but they are big on them in the south and elsewhere. I was involved in a heated discussion with a die hard winged fan at the Devil's Bowl last year in TX. They are fun to watch but it takes some of the driver finesse out. I don't think there are many places running winged 410s regularly out here.

martininsocal

In California, there are lots of tracks to race at, Socal has Perris, Ventura, Bakersfield, Santa Maria and Az is a short houl away. You can go farther north and Run Watsonville, Altamonte, Madera, Merced, Grass, Valley, etc... These are all dirt tracks. It would be nice to see one more small bullring in Socal.
Hey Dennis- what class you guys looking at? I have been thinking hornet at Perris too.

Martin

UndercoverFab

i dont really want to travel and run twice a week, i only got into dirt track racing because i was fixing alot of them and was given one for services provided, it just spiraled from there, i`d still like to run them instead of lettign them waste away though. i agree the wings do take alot of finesse out of driving them but they also let you go alot faster so its not easy by any means, hows that saying go "if it was easy everyone would be doing it" thanks for the info though guys.
the spare might be gone this weekend since theres been alot of carnage at the local tracks lately so as soon as i flip the other over another catch fence i`ll be out of oval racing