Anyone know how to sail???

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
So I bought this old sailboat. It's an older Catalina 27, but the sails are in good shape and I'm ready to hit the Pacific.

Anyone know how to sail? I can surely use the advice and insight that anyone may have to offer.

Check out the pics of the boat and let me know what you think!!!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Who you running from? :D

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Who you running from? :D
You, ya poser!!!!:D:p J/K

Actually, I was hoping to sail down to Ensenada for the 1K and be there for it, by way of this boat. Now contribute something positive Pit B!!!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Catalina 27 is a solid boat and fun to race. It's also a good coastal cruiser. I used to race sailboats(still do occionally). And owned a couple too.

Where is it docked at?

Recommend you take the Coast Guard safety course. Have the boat checked out by the CG to make sure it is seaworthy. I wouldn't suggest sailing it to Ensenada unless you have a qualified person on board that knows ocean sailing. That run can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Have fun. Oh and boats are chick magnets.:cool:

This is a perfect place to start. http://sandiegocgaux.org/

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Catalina 27 is a solid boat and fun to race. It's also a good coastal cruiser. I used to race sailboats(still do occionally). And owned a couple too.

Where is it docked at?

Recommend you take the Coast Gaurd safety course. Have the boat checked out by the CG to make sure it is seaworthy. I wouldn't suggest sailing it to Ensanada unless you have a qulified person on board that knows ocean sailing. That run can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Have fun. Oh and boats are chick magnets.:cool:

People on the dock have told me that what you suggested is MANDANTORY, or esle they will not sail alongside me.

Trey, you are invited to come show me the ropes (even though I can see them myself, he he!) But I will admit I have no idea how to tie up the riggins....:(

I have it in G dock in Dana Point harbor, #14 slip if y'all wanna go see it yerselves!!!!

Someone told me that the old sat dish up on the main mast has to come down for it to pass CG inspection...how do I get up there????:confused:

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Get yourself a satellite phone too if you don't already have one.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Get yourself a satellite phone too if you don't already have one.
There is one of the CG approved radios in the boat already. Ain't that good enough???

Oh, and you want me to get the phone so we can talk when I'm far away? You'll miss me that much??? LOL!!!!!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
There is one of the CG approved radios in the boat already. Ain't that good enough???

Oh, and you want me to get the phone so we can talk when I'm far away? You'll miss me that much??? LOL!!!!!
Always carry a spare.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
People on the dock have told me that what you suggested is MANDANTORY, or esle they will not sail alongside me.

Trey, you are invited to come show me the ropes (even though I can see them myself, he he!) But I will admit I have no idea how to tie up the riggins....:(

I have it in G dock in Dana Point harbor, #14 slip if y'all wanna go see it yerselves!!!!

Someone told me that the old sat dish up on the main mast has to come down for it to pass CG inspection...how do I get up there????:confused:
It's a good course and it will teach you alot and could save your life. I agree with them.

First off there are zero ROPES on a boat. They are refered to as LINES or Sheets. That will get you tagged as a fool in a second. Like someone walking up to a Class 1 car and saying "Cool DUNEBUGGY".

Would love to come up and check it out and go for a cruise.

To get to the dish, you need a bosums chair. Then hook it to the main sheet and have someone wench you up. Best to do this in the dock as it get's kinda interesting going up that at sea. But it is something you might have to do one time at sea. I did it in 10ft. seas once on 45ft boat, it's mast is almost twice as tall as yours. Not something I would want to do again.;)

Chase 2

Reaction
So you bought a hole in the water to pour your money into eh?

Cats are great boats for n00bs. I see you have a roller Jenny, what other sails did you get with it?

Be a nice guy when you go over to Catalina and and anchor up, look close to see if people are using both bow and stern hooks, otherwise it makes for rude awakenings in the middle of the night.

Chris

Reaction
Congrats dude - awesome choice for a first boat! Those suckers are great value. We had a cat 30 called Dragonfly for a lotta years. Used to do the NP to Ensenada regatta every year. Good times!!! The thirsty thursday beer can races DPYC runs were fun too.

Dang your thread just knocked a bunch of really fun memories loose...

To get to the dish, you need a bosums chair. Then hook it to the main sheet and have someone wench you up. ;)
I was pretty much brought up down on the docks in DP. Family lore has it that one sunny day my pop hauled my mom up the mast of our old Hallberg-Rassy p28 to put the radar reflector up on the shroud and the winch started to pull out of the deck. OOPS! :eek:

Did some snipe racing back in the day. When I was a kid I dreamed about crewing a transpac boat but kinda fell out of the sport.

My dad did some work for Bill Koch back in the day and we got to meet the '95 America's Cup all women's team.

Anyway I'm rambling - congrats dude!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
My dad did some work for Bill Koch back in the day and we got to meet the '95 America's Cup all women's team.
Then you got to meet my good friend Annie Nelson, what a great lady she is. Awesome sailor too.

I was teamed up with Dennis Connor. Got to take a ride on the winged cat and Stars And Stripes. The winged cat was freaking insane.

Spent most of my time on Cats. Raced lot's of Hobie regattas. Funnest boat out there. Nothing like being traped out and flat out flying.

BGRANT

Reaction
Let me know when you sail to Ensanada. I know a guy that needs some packages brought up that he is not comfortabe mailing. Never mind whats in them, he will pay you very well.

RyanWiW

Reaction
I know enough about boats to know that i dont ever want one unless im filthy rich and can shovel money into it without feeling the hurt. the one piece of advice i can give you is get yourself some sand paper and good varnish and get after that wood before its to late!! Congrats though, ther is nothing like being able to sail anywhere and anchor up in a quite cove. Have fun!!

Steve0

Reaction
I spent most summers at Catalina until I was 16. I also took sailing lessons for a couple of summers when I was 13-14. I discovered cars and chicks when I was 16 and never spent much time on the water after that. I do miss it, and I want to take sailing lessons again. If you're going to take lessons, let me know, I might might want to check it out as well.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Ditto on "most" of the advise Donny. TAKE the CG course and get
someone to go sailing LOTs with you before you try Ensenada. AND, if
ya do go take them with ya!

(The only rope on a boat is the one that rings the dinner bell!)