Anyone Know Steve Kelly, old class 8 racer from the early 90's

outtacontrazy

RDC Crypto
Steve Kelly used to race class 8 trucks int eh early 90's, anyone have any pictures of his trucks, i know he used to race for amarican racing and chevy, anyone?

Tony_Barraza

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Ricky-

Steve Kelley has ALWAYS been one of my all time favorites. Back before I was heavily involved with pitting and chasing for teams, Steve (along with Walker Evans, Ivan Stewart and Rod Hall) was God-like when it came to off-road racers for me.

I was lucky enough to be working with Dave Westhem Racing when Steve drove for us during the entire '92 season.

Throughout the majority of his career, he's carried sponsorship from American Racing Wheels to whatever vehicle he drove (Larry Minor's American Racing Wheels Chevy, MacPherson Chevy, Mike Lesle Jeep/CORR Dodge, Walker's TT, etc.)

Steve continues to serve as an Executive at American Racing Wheels today, after the company he was V.P. of (Epic Wheels) was purchased by ARE.

For now, here a few pics of the Miller American Chevy. One of my all-time, favorite vehicles (along with "Big Oly" and the BFG Blazers').

Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Pics are from various websites, not from TBD archives.

Last edited:

5racer

RDC Crypto
Tony_Barraza said:
Ricky-

Steve Kelley has ALWAYS been one of my all time favorites. Back before I was heavily involved with pitting and chasing for teams, Steve (along with Walker Evans, Ivan Stewart and Rod Hall) was God-like when it came to off-road racers for me.

I was lucky enough to be working with Dave Westhem Racing when Steve drove for us during the entire '92 season.

Throughout the majority of his career, he's carried sponsorship from American Racing Wheels to whatever vehicle he drove (Larry Minor's American Racing Wheels Chevy, MacPherson Chevy, Mike Lesle Jeep/CORR Dodge, Walker's TT, etc.)

Steve continues to serve as an Executive at American Racing Wheels today, after the company he was V.P. of (Epic Wheels) was purchased by ARE.

For now, here a few pics of the Miller American Chevy. One of my all-time, favorite vehicles (along with "Big Oly" and the BFG Blazers').

Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Pics are from various websites, not from TBD archives.

you worked for dave tony hmmm so did i for his first 2 years with gmc me and neil and your right steve kelly is a very nice guy met him when chris and frog were running the old miller truck.and steve just got the otter pops truck.dam small world.

Tony_Barraza

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Steve (5racer)-

Yeah, I started to help around Westhem's shop after Neil. While he was the crew chief, I would stop by from time to time, to see how the team/truck was doing. He'd spend a little time telling me what happened at the previous race. That is also when Larry Hawkins (now with Curt LeDuc) was Neil's righ-hand man.

After Darryl Putman (now a lead mechanic at Collins Motorsports) became Westhem's crew chief, I would come in to the shop and help Darryl in any way I could. I swept floors, organized parts shelves, washed the chase vehicles and even detailed the semi.

While I was attending school in Ontario, I'd call Darryl at the shop to see if he needed anything picked-up in the area. I could often be found at Leslie's Driveline, TCS, Advanced Machine Dynamics (Home of Dave_G) as well as places like Leon Patton's and Mogi Trans. "runnng parts" for Darryl and Westhem.

Shortly after Darryl assumed the crew chief position, he reworked the front suspension on the GMC. The first time they tested it, I was invited to go testing with them. The friend I invited and asked to drive to Barstow was my buddy Ray McKinzie. Now the owner and driver of the ex-Pflueger Protruck.

Ahhh memories.

5racer

RDC Crypto
Tony_Barraza said:
Steve (5racer)-

Yeah, I started to help around Westhem's shop after Neil. While he was the crew chief, I would stop by from time to time, to see how the team/truck was doing. He'd spend a little time telling me what happened at the previous race. That is also when Larry Hawkins (now with Curt LeDuc) was Neil's righ-hand man.

After Darryl Putman (now a lead mechanic at Collins Motorsports) became Westhem's crew chief, I would come in to the shop and help Darryl in any way I could. I swept floors, organized parts shelves, washed the chase vehicles and even detailed the semi.

While I was attending school in Ontario, I'd call Darryl at the shop to see if he needed anything picked-up in the area. I could often be found at Leslie's Driveline, TCS, Advanced Machine Dynamics (Home of Dave_G) as well as places like Leon Patton's and Mogi Trans. "runnng parts" for Darryl and Westhem.

Shortly after Darryl assumed the crew chief position, he reworked the front suspension on the GMC. The first time they tested it, I was invited to go testing with them. The friend I invited and asked to drive to Barstow was my buddy Ray McKinzie. Now the owner and driver of the ex-Pflueger Protruck.

Ahhh memories.

ahh ok we just missed each other larry came in when i left i di remember darel and my old co-driver knows ray mckenzie real well.ty hawkins was my co-driver and will be in 2006 if i ever get off my butt and start new car lol.ray was racein a 1600 last time i saw him .infact the last time he was parked on a huge rock and missing the whole left rear corner lol.

CharlieIII

RDC Crypto
I think Ray's Protruck is the Mckinzie / Spencer Low silver truck.

Hey Steve G. when is the start date for your new car, I'd like to come over and see some progress over time, this is Charlie, Ty's buddy.

RB3868

RDC Crypto
He partnered with Michael Nesmith for a while...
246111438_7145503298808356_555433806622041996_n.jpg