• Forum membership has its advantages....

Anyone surprised by how low the entries are at the mint?

Pro utv is the only class with more than 20 entries and still only 35.

18 class 10s
19 TTS
3 class 1s
7 6100s
And a bunch of classes with 1-3

J Prich

Not only expensive but you need to be in Vegas all damned week because of all the hoopla they have
Parker Quals were on Wed, TTs raced on Sat. That’s actually a day longer than the Mint schedule. But yeah, all week and what not.

MTPyle

12 Baja trucks and 7 6100

I can already see some confusion. Unless Lovell is swapping his 525 engine out he should be in Baja truck. Maybe I do not understand the rules but seems like room for confusion. I am sure they will get if figured out.

And plenty of time for the list to grow. I see a few names missing that I believe are racing.

Mike

ndvalium

Rescue Director
To many races to pick from.
I have heard this from a few people but what’s strange to me is if you take Parker, T1, Snore and Laughlin car and truck numbers and total them all, it doesn’t equal what the Mint entry was last year.
Less people are racing this year so far from what I see.

J Prich

I have heard this from a few people but what’s strange to me is if you take Parker, T1, snore and Laughlin car and truck numbers and total them all, it doesn’t equal what the Mint entry was last year.
Less people are racing this year so far from what I see.
And the only scheduling difference between last year and this year is the BITD Laughlin race. While
significant, that’s not a “huge” shake up. Definitely seems like more folks on the sidelines this year.

MTPyle

J prich,

The truck counts for BITD are the same this year as last, almost identical numbers. I think the problem is the Mint is not a series race. So you take out the guys just run series and points which is about half of the BITD racers.

The Mint this year is basically a new race. I have heard people concerned about how the race will be ran. Good news is there are many experienced people working the Mint so I personally think it will be fine. No race is perfect and even BITD does things that I don't understand. I am sure this years Mint will have challenges just like any other race but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and believe overall it will be a great event.

We are going to race the Mint and we are excited. We will roll with the punches like we do with any race. Hopefully this one we will come up on top. I feel like there is a good chance we could podium the Mint. Our truck is strong and built for long tough races. Just a little worried about the fast turn around from Laughlin but that wont allow us much time to screw things up either. LOL

Mike

J Prich

No doubt being a stand alone without points will have an impact on turn out. Frankly I think there are a lot of things going on here and it's probably hard to make an accurate generalization about what each team is looking at when making their choices.

Anyway, understand your POV but I personally don't see the Mint as a new race at all. It's the same course it's always been and many of the people involved have vast experience from years past. Yes it's different this year and I agree that it needs to be a "proving" year to demonstrate that nothing has changed essentially, but I'm very confident that come race day the racers who line up and have at it are marginally going to notice the difference between last year and this year. And I'd argue that in fact, it's clear that some things have already improved. The Primm infield set up will be really cool for fans and spectators this year, there is more money on the table for every class, more mileage, and more classes able to be a part of it. The overall car count will probably end up down from last year but the race itself will be as good and in some ways better than last year. Just my personal opinion.

MTPyle

JPrich,

I totally agree.

Every race has its pros and cons. But I think the pros will outweigh the cons for this years Mint. Lots of knowledgeable people involved with the Mint 400 this year as always.

And I think the truck count will increase.

Mike

Fire1998

So...anyone know why the separation between Martellis and BITD happened?? I have my thoughts but could be wrong. For the first 4 years Mint hit their entry cap early. There was waiting lists to race Mint!! Remember registering the day entries hit! We had to mail in...overnight...a few years ago!! Why would you mess up an obvious popular race with racers and entries?? Now we have 2 races competing against each other within a week. Im not quite understanding why...other than a money grab and power to control race. It hurts both race promoters!