Anyone using Corbeau FX1 seats?

Patients of chiropractic. Check with Dr. Macrae Glass.

Volkspower Racing

We run them in our short coarse cars, no problems, I think they are great seats, currently putting them in a desert 1600 car as well.

We run them in our short coarse cars, no problems, I think they are great seats, currently putting them in a desert 1600 car as well.
In that case, my reservations are lessening, but in SC, one is in the driver's seat for considerably less time than is typical of desert racing.

Jerry Zaiden

Sparco is a better seat. This is from customers of ours who have run both. Sparco also supports the Off-Road industry. Ads in Magazines like Dirtsports, sponsors racers, etc...

Tyler Scott

Yea I called Ryan yesturday and got Quotes. Im running it by my sponsers seeing if theyll pick up the tab.

Tyler Scott

In that case, my reservations are lessening, but in SC, one is in the driver's seat for considerably less time than is typical of desert racing.
Are you questioning them beacuse there FX1's or because there a Tub seat? If its because there a tub seat then you need to do some research.

Are you questioning them beacuse there FX1's or because there a Tub seat? If its because there a tub seat then you need to do some research.
I'm questioning them from the perspective of pennywise yet poundfoolish. The best "deal" is not always the "best" deal.

I don't believe their longevity has been adequately documented in a desert racing environment.

I'm just saying....;)

Tyler Scott

Thats what im trying to find out. I wasnt sure if you were being bias towards all tub seats or just these FX1's.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Anyone using the Corbeau FX1 seat? seems like a cheaper alternative to the Sparcos.http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_back_seats/fx1_pro/
This is really not an alternative to a Sparco because it's not really a racing seat from what I can tell. The seat looks good, but it does not appear to have any FIA Homologation, so it could be made out of anything with no regard for safety. Also, some organizations require a non-FIA seat to have a back the seat back tied into the cage, this seat is said to have provisions for a back support which tells me it needs it. This is not required with a Sparco seat as currently tested.

If you’re looking for an alternative because you’re on a tight budget, compare another brand with a similar rating. If you can find a 300.00 FIA homologated seat, it may be worth considering. The shell design and construction in a Sparco is not engineered for price, it's engineered for safety.

I've never seen this seat in any off road race car, and I pay attention to that kind of stuff.

Like Tommy said- "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's arse, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it."

Moneypit

Corbeau has been around since 1964, so I doubt that any of thier products even come close to having no regard for safety.

While the seat does have a mount for rear support, it may not necessarily need it..but as stated, some organizations require it if there is no rating, thats why its there.

Just because a seat doesn't have an FIA rating, doesn't mean its made out of styrafoam. An FIA rating is a certification by an independant agency. To obtain this rating costs big money, which is then passed on to the price of the product. This is done because some sanctioning bodies require certain products to have a particular rating, and some racers want what is garunteed to be the absolute best. However, almost all manufacturers make products that don't have ratings, and I would guess most their experience and r&d goes into these seats as well. Basically the FX1 is a copy of of the Sparco Evo. My .02

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Corbeau has been around since 1964, so I doubt that any of thier products even come close to having no regard for safety.

While the seat does have a mount for rear support, it may not necessarily need it..but as stated, some organizations require it if there is no rating, thats why its there.

Just because a seat doesn't have an FIA rating, doesn't mean its made out of styrafoam. An FIA rating is a certification by an independant agency. To obtain this rating costs big money, which is then passed on to the price of the product. This is done because some sanctioning bodies require certain products to have a particular rating, and some racers want what is garunteed to be the absolute best. However, almost all manufacturers make products that don't have ratings, and I would guess most their experience and r&d goes into these seats as well. Basically the FX1 is a copy of of the Sparco Evo. My .02
I checked out the Corbeau website and could not find a single FIA rated seat, so either they are hard to find or they don't make one. I doubt they would do all of the r&d for something that they are not going to test. By looking at the rear harness slots in the seat, I can tell this seat was designed with no intention of passing FIA or being used as a racing seat. It looks like a nice seat, but when it comes to safety in a race car, looks don't cut it.

When you say copy, I assume you mean size, because if was "basically a copy" it would pass FIA. Also, If a company has to copy something it tells me they can't do it themselves becasue they do not have the expertise or experiance.

My.10