Anyone using FAST fuel injection in the desert?

SuperRanger

Reaction
Can anyone vouch for these systems in race conditions? We are looking at their system for a Ford 347. We have used similar aftermarket systems and have been a bit disappointed. We are trying to determine if we should piece together an OEM efi system or go aftermarket again.

Good Knight Racing

Reaction
I was looking into the same thing a carb setup from c&j is about $1300.00 and you can go efi setp for $1600.00 havent found much info on it. I hope someone has experience with it.

Sparky

Reaction
Can anyone vouch for these systems in race conditions? We are looking at their system for a Ford 347. We have used similar aftermarket systems and have been a bit disappointed. We are trying to determine if we should piece together an OEM efi system or go aftermarket again.
We use one of the older (gray box) systems from FAST. We have 19 consecutive finishes with it, so I really can't complain too much, but there are a few things that bother me. One complaint was their lack of tech support. The manual wasn't very clear on what a couple of the parameters were and when I called to ask they told me that they could not offer any tuning help (not even clarifying the manual) and that I would need to find a local tuning shop for questions like that. It also really lacks serious data logging capability - it can log, but only for a very short time, and you need to have your laptop plugged in to record it, or you can spend more $$ for their data logger. You also must buy the O2 sensor from them because they have some funky calibration in the unit and they tweak the O2 sensor.

That being said, I'm building a Megasquirt based system for the new car. I can build two units for a fraction of the cost of buying another FAST system so we can always carry a backup in the car. Plus there is a huge support base for setup and tuning.

Maybe the current FAST stuff is improved over what we are using, but I can't justify the cost when MS has better support and better features.

What other systems have you used?

Sparky

Reaction
I was looking into the same thing a carb setup from c&j is about $1300.00 and you can go efi setp for $1600.00 havent found much info on it. I hope someone has experience with it.
http://www.fuelairspark.com/

$1600 will get you a bare XFI ECU from FAST and nothing else. Plan on spending 3x that amount by the time you are done with wiring, sensors, etc... Their EZ EFI system is about $1800, but that is throttle-body based and lacks any serious tuning capability.

SuperRanger

Reaction
What other systems have you used?
We have used Mass-Flo EFI. We have done sub 80-mile off-road stuff with some frustration. The tech support is GREAT but hte sytem uses a Chevy mass air sensor that has given us some issues ($500 a pop). We also got some dust in the chip that modifies the ECU. No real complaints but I don't think the system is geared for dust, silt, and dirt.

Thanks for the advice. We are looking at the sequential system for about $4k. I would like it work well for that amount of cash.

mebuildit

Reaction
http://bigstuff3.com/I"ve been researching this out as well. I have heard really good things with Big Stuff 3. There are quite a few people who use this set up with great success.

just my .02¢

Desert_Roller

Reaction
If you can afford it shoot for a system with sequential injection, and if you are going distributor less, sequential coil outputs.

A spark retard, not a spark cut for a rev limiter.

Load it with as much memory as it will hold for data acquisition and set the sample rates as fast as possible.

Do not cut any corners on the wire harness or it will haunt you for life!

Steinberger, Pistol the Herbst's and Rivera are using EFI Technology systems.

Motec is out there on most of the other TT's

Sparky

Reaction
IMHO sequential injection is unnecessary. Once you get to 2500rpm or so, the injector is open longer than the intake valve anyway so it really doesn't matter when it squirts. It will help with idle and off-idle with big cams though. But typically if you get something that supports a distributorless setup, it will be sequential.

Sparky

Reaction
We have used Mass-Flo EFI. We have done sub 80-mile off-road stuff with some frustration. The tech support is GREAT but hte sytem uses a Chevy mass air sensor that has given us some issues ($500 a pop). We also got some dust in the chip that modifies the ECU. No real complaints but I don't think the system is geared for dust, silt, and dirt.

Thanks for the advice. We are looking at the sequential system for about $4k. I would like it work well for that amount of cash.
Yeah, I wouldn't really consider their stuff to be "race quality".

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
I know of one 7s team a few years ago who used the FAST XFI ECU and fuel injection system on a modified 3.8L V-6. They never had any issues or complaints with any of the EFI components.

I never saw any real benefits to the system over a typical OEM Ford EFI set-up for the additional costs involved.

fatkid

Reaction
We have been using the FAST system in our 1400 truck for a few races now. It is a great system and its very user friendly. We run a pretty stout 351 with the system and have had no trouble at all. I think it took about 15 minutes to get a decent tune with no previous experience with the system.