Apple Valley is looking for a piece of Stoddard Wells OHV

kim

Rescue 3
The town of Apple Valley has recently conducted a Multi Species Habitat Conservation Plan (MSHCP). The issue is a little complicated and I am learning more about what seems like a greedy land deal each day.

The simple story - The town of Apple Valley (AV) along with the Dept of Fish and Game (F&G) have identified seven species of plant and animal that are either on the endangered species list or are threatened. So, with this in mind, AV in its general plan wants to develop approx., 46,500 acres of residential and commercial land. Some of that land is in an area called Fairview Valley, (we'll get back to that later). In order for AV to develop the above mentioned area they are required to create a conservation plan which encompasses 170,000 acres of conservation land.

AV has identified its town borders, its sphere of influence borders and has even created an expanded sphere of influence. That's where Stoddard Wells OHV (SWOHV) area comes in. In order to have clean borders that include linkage areas for the Desert Tortoise and other animals, they must include a portion of SWOHV.

I have been invited to participate in a meeting this coming Thursday in Valencia, yes Valencia to discuss this plan. The consultants want to talk about a possible land swap. In other words, they will give us something, I don't know what yet in exchange for a part of SWOHV. The consultants are looking at an area around Wild Wash Road on the East side of the freeway.

I spoke with Micky at BLM and made sure that AV has not yet requested a land transfer. And no they have not. AV might want to propose a "Tread Lightly" campaign in SWOHV which in my opinion would be a disaster. Why? The OHV community would put in lots of hours of labor marking and posting trails and the first time a flat biller from down the hill comes out and rides outside the boundaries the area will be closed!

So, I will listen to what they have to say but will most likely say NO to any land swaps and certainly will not allow for anything to be closed. I will also bring any and all information back to the Off-Road community. I will fight for public meetings and if they happen you guys better come. This is just one more area that a town is looking to pull away from us.

There is a lot of info that I am learning about Fairview Valley. Particularly how the County of San Bernardino denied AV's first EIR due to the WEMO plan not being approved and AV's lack of conservation land.

I can tell you the town is quietly moving forward as if they have approval from all stake holders. I will make sure they know that they don't.

I will have more info after Thursday's meeting. This should make for a very interesting summer. Stay tuned.

desert rat 2

Oh joy, another attack on off road access by a town in the high desert. I already refuse to purchase anything in the town of Hesperia. I guess I'm going to have to add Apple Valley to my boycott list. Too bad, as there are a couple of good restaurants that I regularly go to in AV.

And yes, I also make an effort to make purchases in towns that support access, such as Lucerne Valley. I always purchase a tank of fuel there, and often make a trip to the grocery store when I'm out there.

If you aren't voting with your hard-earned money, then you should definitely start thinking about it.

coilover88

Kim, it sounds like you've gained some clarity since I talked to you. PM me if I can be of any help Thursday. Let me know.

kim

Rescue 3
Okay, sorry guys. I got distracted earlier and needed to go. So back to Fairview Valley. Why is it important to Apple Valley? First off, Fairview Valley currently is mainly horse property. It is zoned at one home per every five acres. It is a beautiful and pristine area. It is a thorn in the side of AV politicians because it does not generate much tax revenue.

Now, fast forward.....The E220 corridor is designed to run from Fairview Valley to Palmdale/Lancaster. The Economic Development Manager for AV has been approached by some big land developer to create a "senior" housing community in FV. He has proposed a high density housing community with as many as 16 per acre along with shopping etc. See where all of this is going?

The town of AV is in the beginning stages of building a waste water treatment facility with the underground pipes going to FV.

In addition, the town of AV has paid Solution Strategies right around a million dollars so far to make sure this MSHCP goes through without any hitches. AV had a public meeting where only 7 people showed up. They (AV) posted the MSHCP to the Federal Register as required by law and did VERY little advertising in the local papers. Meetings like the one I'm going to are held out of town so that locals don't really know what's going on.

Well, that was until I got involved. Some may have hoped I would be a useful idiot and just shake my head and agree. I don't think anyone planned for someone who actually does their homework and has a big mouth like mine.

kim

Rescue 3
So, if I make this a sticky, what is your plan of action here?
This is an issue that everyone needs to be aware of. I will be pushing for public meetings with the AV planners and consultants. We can not lose one more acre of land, period! If this post falls to the bottom of page 47 and its an active fight but no one is seeing it then what good will the information be to anyone?

pdailey

Racer
This is an issue that everyone needs to be aware of. I will be pushing for public meetings with the AV planners and consultants. We can not lose one more acre of land, period! If this post falls to the bottom of page 47 and its an active fight but no one is seeing it then what good will the information be to anyone?
I agree. So what do we (RDC) need to do then? There are about 5 people on this site who know what is going on right now

kim

Rescue 3
That's why I made my post. To let everyone know what I am learning. We (9Rocky) and others are looking to host a public meeting and fundraiser. We are talking with CORVA and other non-profit land use groups to see who is willing to get behind this issue and help us fight the town of AV.

Between Johnson Valley and Stoddard Valley we'll have no where to go.

I am trying to inform and educate. This is all new to me too as this has been a hush hush deal.

Bro_Gill

Kim- When will the next meetingbe? I have issues with AV doing this as Stoddard Valley was off the list of land to be included for any mitigation down the road when WEMO was done. It was a deal we made and had support from several other land use groups (like horse people) and it was suppose to keep the open OHV areas untouchable. As I said in the other post, I figured AV was going to try and use the land for their development mitigation as it is easy pickens compared to any other land. Heck, the Greens will support their efforts to turn the OHV area into multi-species habitat. I live in Big Bear, but my work schedule is pretty open. When will the next meeting be?

kim

Rescue 3
Kim- When will the next meetingbe? I have issues with AV doing this as Stoddard Valley was off the list of land to be included for any mitigation down the road when WEMO was done. It was a deal we made and had support from several other land use groups (like horse people) and it was suppose to keep the open OHV areas untouchable. As I said in the other post, I figured AV was going to try and use the land for their development mitigation as it is easy pickens compared to any other land. Heck, the Greens will support their efforts to turn the OHV area into multi-species habitat. I live in Big Bear, but my work schedule is pretty open. When will the next meeting be?
I have my first meeting with the consultant on Thursday. You are welcome to come. I am leaving Hesperia around 10:30 am. I'll pm you my addy and we can ride together. There is another fellow from the DAC going too. It might be good for you to present this info at the meeting.

ACME

So, if I make this a sticky, what is your plan of action here?
Pat, the mods seem to give a sticky anytime the DA changes Sock or Hat mfr's or when Robby has hot flashes and this is way more important and the info needs to get out. The facts is we need to start fighting this on a different level than we have. The grass roots, send a letter campaign is nice however, a few dedicated individuals including Kim are looking at options including; enlisting professionals into our fight. It's time the manufacturers and racers step up and cracked open their wallets to hire attorneys and lobbyists to help our cause. Look at the money Fast Aid raised in a matter of days to support the community, it's time the community, teams, racers and off road businesses started financially supporting the fight to save our open areas, if not we will all have very expensive yard art. As Kim stated: A number of people are working to create a focused, concerted effort, a plan of attack, a fundraiser and rally to kick it off. The bottom line is we need a place and forum and when we are more worried about Robby's donuts at the 500 than our OHV areas it's a sad time. Kim, let us know the plan and where I should send my check to and how it will be used to keep our OHV areas open and desert racing alive in So. Cal. I also challenge every team and MFR/sponsor to do the same or those: shiney Kings, that Jimco 1 car, Hondas, Camburg suspension, Monster, Lucas fluids, KC lights, Speed Energy, Slime, Danzio motors, BFG's, KMC's, Geiser TT's, Mendeola trannies and General tires etc, the off road businesses/shops and sponsors etc...(need I go on) won't be worth a dime. Think about the money some of the BIG teams spend on racing; shouldn't we be able to scrape together $100-200K (between the big/little teams and the mfr's) in no time so we can fight this at a different level?

kim

Rescue 3
For those that would like to read the Federal Register notice, here it is:

Attachments

tacosupreme

^
Proposed mitigation would
conserve approximately 75,000 acres of
public and private lands through
various mechanisms, including
purchase of land in fee title and
establishment of permanent
conservation easements.
Let us know what we can do to help. Have you contacted the BRC? http://www.sharetrails.org/contact/ I asked Del Albright if he could give us a hand, he's smart on this kind of stuff.

9rocky

This looks to be the biggest project they are looking to mitigate...

If this is the case, the town is performing studies outside of the actual town limits on the taxpayers dime, for a out of town developer, and then they convieniently plan to take 50,000 acres of your OHV area to help these poor guys make a few million. And, they have the gall to tell us that they just want to "manage" the land.

Attachments

Last edited:

kim

Rescue 3
^

Let us know what we can do to help. Have you contacted the BRC? http://www.sharetrails.org/contact/ I asked Del Albright if he could give us a hand, he's smart on this kind of stuff.
BRC typically focuses on issues in Colorado, Utah, Montana etc. I'm not familiar with any land fights they've helped with in CA. They certainly have not helped in the Johnson Valley fight.

Wayne_Nosala

Im Looking at the attached document, The project area is on Public land in high critter habitat area. Even though there is existing development surrounding this area, It would really be a pain in the butt to get this BLM lands transfered to a private developer or even become part of the city and actually accomplish developing it. It would have to go though a lengthy NEPA process (Sound familiar) to get there. Not saying it would be impossible and im sure the city would like to see growth and tax revenue.

But my humble opinion, it would not be a profitable venture for development and it would be a tough for the city to get this transfer done for a reasonable cost. If they are back door land swapping, Kim is the person I trust to let us know if that is what they are after.

Wayne

ACME

This looks to be the biggest project they are looking to mitigate...

If this is the case, the town is performing studies outside of the actual town limits on the taxpayers dime, for a out of town developer, and then they convieniently plan to take 50,000 acres of your OHV area to help these poor guys make a few million. And, they have the gall to tell us that they just want to "manage" the land.
Is this the same organization that got A.V. to favorably "support" them, on a huge development that they made minor improvements to the land on and it's still sitting? Seems Apple Valley is their own Hazard County; does the mayor cruise a vert caddy with horns??? Private developers and commercial interests have always been an opponent but to have one who seemingly is aligned with a town (or maybe a select few power brokers) is new. Didn't A.V. also have a planning commissioner or someone that got strung up for similar improprieties? I heard an accounting firm did an audit and found some questionable practices. This thing has more layers than an onion and will take more resources to fight than just letters. Another fight we can add to the BLM and the U.S. Marine Corps for this one little piece of heaven no one really gave a darn about 10 years ago...