• Forum membership has its advantages....

Apple Valley is looking for a piece of Stoddard Wells OHV

kim

Rescue 3
Dan Seagondollar and I along with Randy Banis (DAC) sat in a meeting for 4.5 hours discussing the Apple Valley Multi Species Habitat Conservation Plan.

The consultants had a great map that showed 7 conservation areas encompassing 170,000 acres. Some of the land is public other is private. When it came to Stoddard Wells OHV area, and all public land for that matter, I made it clear that the Town of Apple Valley would not mitigate public land for the benefit of developers and builders on the backs of United States Citizens who are the rightful owners of that land. I'll be damned if some developer is going to get rich while my kids and I are told we can not recreate on OUR land.

We are going to have an up hill battle on our hands. Dan and I along with others will soon be formulating a draft letter that will have some basic info and allow for customization that everyone must send to the Apple Valley Town Counsel members. They must be hit with a barrage of mail from users, manufacturers, green sticker holders etc. We must also begin to reach out to other stakeholders in the area: rock hounds, hikers, miners, hunters etc.

Apple Valley has already invested about a million bucks with this consulting firm. There is no way our little meeting today will make them change their mind on this mitigation plan.

Stay tuned. Action will need to be taken. I will be talking with lawyers for CORVA, D-37 and anyone else I can find to see who will help with this fight.

Wayne_Nosala

Thanks Kim, And productive phone conversation,

Sounds like they are really trying to fast track this thing bypassing NEPA and public involvement

9rocky

Dan Seagondollar and I along with Randy Banis (DAC) sat in a meeting for 4.5 hours discussing the Apple Valley Multi Species Habitat Conservation Plan.

The consultants had a great map that showed 7 conservation areas encompassing 170,000 acres. Some of the land is public other is private. When it came to Stoddard Wells OHV area, and all public land for that matter, I made it clear that the Town of Apple Valley would not mitigate public land for the benefit of developers and builders on the backs of United States Citizens who are the rightful owners of that land. I'll be damned if some developer is going to get rich while my kids and I are told we can not recreate on OUR land.

We are going to have an up hill battle on our hands. Dan and I along with others will soon be formulating a draft letter that will have some basic info and allow for customization that everyone must send to the Apple Valley Town Counsel members. They must be hit with a barrage of mail from users, manufacturers, green sticker holders etc. We must also begin to reach out to other stakeholders in the area: rock hounds, hikers, miners, hunters etc.

Apple Valley has already invested about a million bucks with this consulting firm. There is no way our little meeting today will make them change their mind on this mitigation plan.

Stay tuned. Action will need to be taken. I will be talking with lawyers for CORVA, D-37 and anyone else I can find to see who will help with this fight.
Welcome to dealing with Ken Henderson, Assistant Town Manager of Community Development. It is his world, and we are lucky to be allowed to live in it. This man is evil personified, although even this is pretty brazen for him to try. Search the scathing ruling against him in the 9th circuit court of appeals when he was with the city of San Bernardino. I believe it also led to his dismissal there. His actions are geared solely towards his developer friends, in this case Strata Equity Group, with no regard for anyone whos rights he might trample.

I agree with Jeff (stonecrawler) that we as a community need to focus on one existing group, and we need to be united and march in lock step on these land use issues. My opinion is that we need to hold fundraisers, membership drives, etc. to raise money solely for land use issues. $500,000 was raised to help the families of the California 200. That kind of money would go a long ways towards attorneys and lobbying efforts. The line in the sand has been drawn, and we must unify and act....NOW!

Last edited:

dkiewicz

Thanks for the heads up Kim. I live in Hesperia, yeah I know, but I've been involved with the Marines land grab in Johnson Valley a bit. If you don't mind, I want to link this to UTVUnderground where we have quite a few people that are actively involved in a number of land and OHV issues. This one hits close to home for me and is very important, especially if the Marines get their way too.

This is getting to be ridiculous and I hope that at some point we can collectively raise enough money to get our day in court. I would also like to see the lawsuits for people that are now getting seriously injured or killed because of these land grabs and the subsequent crowding they create.

We need to start voting in politicians that will not unjustly remove these recreational areas for their own financial gain. The only ones who will stop them is us!!!!

I urge everyone to get involved.

I'll keep an eye on this and if you need any help, holler!!!

Dan ...:mad:

kim

Rescue 3
Hey Dan-

Yes, a letter generator is a great idea. We may be able to stop this before it really starts. Besides filling their offices with letters of opposition we must fill the Apple Valley town council chamber.

The consultants may not realize the scope of this thing. If they want any BLM land in their MSHCP the BLM will have to amend the Desert Plan which is a Congressionally designated plan. That is a very public process now that there is opposition to the MSHCP.

Bro_Gill

Looking at the proposed land area of the build, none of it falls within Stoddard OHV area, but I don't think that is what this is about. I know what the mitigation needs are and what we need to keep informed of is where they intend to purchase the land they want to use for their MSHCP. Riverside County has been in the MSHCP business for over a decade now. Once the land is designated for species conservation, kiss offroading good bye. We need to make sure they do not purchase land within any of the open OHV areas as this will then create islands that will be impossible to patrol and maintain as species conservation designation without eliminating offroading around them. There will be buffer zones and, as we saw with south of Slash X, a simple no OHV access from BLM.

Kim, do you have any idea where Apple Valley is attempting to set up their MSHCP area? If we don't pay attention, they may have already purchased in-holdings within Stoddard and are waiting to spring this on the public after the feds have bought off on it. I like how they say the land they are looking at is notpart of the designated Tortoise Conservation area. That is because we convinced them to not include any of the open OHV areas in the plan under WEMO. The original designation was all land north of highway 18 from Yucca Valley to Palmdale, inclusive.

kim

Rescue 3
Bro_Gill -

There were seven areas. I am trying to remember all the areas of the map. Of course, they had no maps for hand out and I failed to take a picture with my phone. Damn, I hate when I forget something important like that. Some of the areas were:

*Bowan Ranch
*Granite Mountains
*limited use area just outside the OHV designated area. (Still federal land and heavily used by off-roaders)
*an area just adjacent to Bowen Ranch to the left
*an area below the granits, maybe the Ords?

That's all I can remember. Sorry for not capturing a shot of the map. I have sent an email requesting one but as my old Russian grandfather used to say to me, "Kimmy, you can wish in one hand and shiet in the other. Let's see what you get first."

9rocky

Bro_Gill -

There were seven areas. I am trying to remember all the areas of the map. Of course, they had no maps for hand out and I failed to take a picture with my phone. Damn, I hate when I forget something important like that. Some of the areas were:

*Bowan Ranch
*Granite Mountains
*limited use area just outside the OHV designated area. (Still federal land and heavily used by off-roaders)
*an area just adjacent to Bowen Ranch to the left
*an area below the granits, maybe the Ords?

That's all I can remember. Sorry for not capturing a shot of the map. I have sent an email requesting one but as my old Russian grandfather used to say to me, "Kimmy, you can wish in one hand and shiet in the other. Let's see what you get first."
Wasn't it the Northern Ords Kim?

9rocky

Anyone that does not believe the true reason for this move, and does not believe the complexity of what is unwinding before us, just read the attached link to see what accusations were made against the current Deputy Town Manager of Apple Valley and others to allegedly get developers "cheap" land to build a shopping center and form your own conclusions...

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1043745.html

coilover88

The links from the last couple of posts are eye opening on many levels. It makes me sick.

A) Anything so complex that it takes panels of lawyers and judges to resolve might be a sign of gov't bloat. When we have "limited government", issues are much more transparent and simple to understand.

B) The 9th circuit link repeatedly uses the term "material" in reference to whether the intentions of city officials matters or not in determining wrongdoing or liability. They make way too many references to "material" not being in their domain of revisiting previous rulings.

C) The gov't, whether local or federal, loves this complex, convoluted legal mumbo-jumbo because it enables them to bury the truth. It also stymies the ability of the average citizen to understand the issue and mount a cogent argument against the officials and entities that are hiding their true intentions behind all the legalese.

D) Private property rights across America are being challenged daily by every level of gov't. Citizens MUST fight this loss of constitutionally guaranteed property rights. WE are the only line of defense against OUR rights being taken away.

Final thought: If a thief breaks into your home and robs you blind, do you sit back and do nothing because you don't understand how the SOB pulled it off?? That's how most of the American citizenry reacts these days to property rights theft. 9 out of 10 people have a strong opinion or emotional comment, but far too few study and research the system to figure out how the game is played. This attitude is no longer an acceptable response except for those who feel there is nothing that can be said that will stop the train from running over us. READ, LEARN, ACT!!!!!

kim

Rescue 3
Now, something very interesting....The Mayor of Apple Valley, Barb Stanton is a good friend of mine. I have placed several calls to her and she just called me this weekend after her phone and email started exploding. Per Barb, she knows nothing of the seven mitigation areas as marked on the map from last week. The last meeting she was in was about 6 months ago when this MSHCP study was first being talked about. There is one town council member who has been active in the mitigation meetings and that is Scott Nasiff who received very large donations from the developer, Strata. All of this is documented. No maps have been shown to town council members.

How can a project be this far along and no one knows about it? How can the consultant Solution Strategies call a meeting to talk about a possible land swap if no one knows about the size and scope of this project? This is getting stinkier by the day. IMO.

I told Barb to hold onto her seat, because the town would soon be flooded with letters from concerned citizens of Ca and beyond. I am trying to work on a letter today and tomorrow that will be available for everyone to print, sign and send off to the Town of Apple Valley.

I want to say special thanks to Max Eddy Sr. and Dave Cheney who a few years ago started a group called Friends of Stoddard Valley. They have given me permission to use the name on my correspondence as I am not only speaking for myself but all stakeholders of Stoddard Valley when I say "Hell NO! Not one square inch."

Last edited:

gotteracing

I told Barb to hold onto her seat, because the town would soon be flooded with letters from concerned citizens of Ca and beyond. I am trying to work on a letter today and tomorrow that will be available for everyone to print, sign and send off to the Town of Apple Valley.

coilover88

CMA GUMBY

Now, something very interesting....There is one town council member who has been active in the mitigation meetings and that is Scott Nasiff who received very large donations from the developer, Strata. Solution Strategies

I want to say special thanks to Max Eddy Sr. and Dave Cheney who a few years ago started a group called Friends of Stoddard Valley. They have given me permission to use the name on my correspondence as I am not only speaking for myself but all stakeholders of Stoddard Valley when I say "Hell NO! Not one square inch."
__________________[/QUOTE

LOOK OUT A.V. The natives are getting restless. After living here almost 30 years, and watching what was a tranquill, beautiful valley transform to (*#@**#) , and VERY open public land go by the wayside, I am done watching. No more just being at council meetings. You have pissed us off. I am no longer in business up here because of the DIRTY politics. Now you want to take even MORE of OUR land to fill your pockets??? Get ready !!! Ask the Marines in San Diego what we did to their offices with our letter writing. We have only begun. You have been warned !