Are 15" wheel/tire being phased out

slvrbullet

Reaction
I'm purchasing rims and tires for my project and am hearing rumblings that BFG and General are phasing out 15" truck tires and are focusing on 17" and bigger for race tires. I've been contemplating running 35"s on 15" wheel to keep the rotating mass down, but I don't want to spend over a grand on wheels if the tires are being phased out.

I was hoping someone would have some insight on this?

charlie_brown

Reaction
from a business stand point, a tire manufacturer would love to not have to make so many different tire sizes. with all the new laws and regulations governing tires, it is a nightmare. plus all the vehicle manufactures are all using larger wheels for clearance larger brakes and senors poop.

for street performance, a smaller side wall handles better. for comfort, a larger side wall is better.
for offroading, you want a lager side wall to help with the wash board roads that will shake your rig to junk. plus you can air them down and get better bite in soft running.

35" and smaller need a 15" wheel. to run a 17" wheel you need to run 37 or bigger.

slvrbullet

Reaction
Thanks guys after doing some research it seems like a 17" wheel on a 37" tire is going to be the best combo. That should allow better packaging and bigger brakes.