are fuel cells street legal?

mobbinthe88ranger

Reaction
so im deciding if i want to put a fuel cell in my ranger or not and i was wondering if a fuel cell is street legal and will it pass smog? because i would like to keep it street legal rite now but it isnt my daily driver thanks for the help

RyanWiW

Reaction
Its my understanding that they are not street legal due to the fact that they do not have a breathing cap. I am hoping somone else will chime in on this, because i am not 100% sure. If this is the case, there is always the option of finding a shady shop that will sign you off for a little extra $$.

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Ryan is correct. I have a 22 gallon Jaz fuel cell in my truck and it would not pass smog due to the fact that it doesn't have a hose that vents fumes back into the intake. However, I believe there ARE fuel cells that have it. Anyone else know?

IslanderXJ

Reaction
You can route breather/vent lines so they function just like your stock setup, just don't throw any of the parts away when you do the swap then put them back. You might have a problem with the pressure test the CARB now requires on some vehicles in CA. It may or may not pass a visual inspection depending on where you take it.

Best quote I've found:
Currently, fuel cells are not legal for use on vehicles operated on public roads. We haven't found a fuel cell that has been approved for on-highway use by the department of transportation (D.O.T), and a fuel cell won't pass the visual inspection by a smog referee even if the factory fuel cap, filler tube, and all emission equipment are in place. What this means is that if your truck was built after 1974, you won't pass a smog inspection with a fuel cell installed. Trucks built before 1974 aren't subject to smog inspections, so you'll be safe.

Last edited:

ChromolyKid

Reaction
I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up Islander. I still run my truck with the fuel cell anyways, like Ryan said just find somebody that you can pay for a smog certificate. No problems.

Alex Paterson

Reaction
Other then the visual it is pretty easy to use all the factory stuff. On my F150 I am using all factory emissions parts with the exception of two mechanical check valves from the factory tank and the factory pick up.

pressure sensor and factory charcoal canister-

McKenzie's sells reducer so you can go to the factory filler neck-

T'd the vent to go from the cell into the filler neck and the charcoal canister-

It isn't the best looking set up and I am sure it could be cleaned up with some time and its still not "legal" and would not pass a visual but I don't have a not check engine light and it all works.

Its kinda funny because it is not street legal nor would it be race legal...guess I am a fuel cell bandito!

-Alex

kdm73091

Reaction
i dont know fursure about if the fuel cell being smog legal, but if you want a fuel cell with a large gallon capacity you can use a stock bronco gas tank. i put one in my prerunner ranger and it is a 26 gallon cell, it uses the bronco sending unit but works with the ranger wiring harness for the stock sending unit but with some splicing. IT IS SMOG LEGAL, i havent had any problems with it.

California MiniTruck

Reaction
Other then the visual it is pretty easy to use all the factory stuff. On my F150 I am using all factory emissions parts with the exception of two mechanical check valves from the factory tank and the factory pick up.

pressure sensor and factory charcoal canister-

McKenzie's sells reducer so you can go to the factory filler neck-

T'd the vent to go from the cell into the filler neck and the charcoal canister-

It isn't the best looking set up and I am sure it could be cleaned up with some time and its still not "legal" and would not pass a visual but I don't have a not check engine light and it all works.

Its kinda funny because it is not street legal nor would it be race legal...guess I am a fuel cell bandito!

-Alex

Nice set up! Looks good to me:)

indefab

Reaction
Trucks built before 1974 aren't subject to smog inspections, so you'll be safe.[/I][/QUOTE]

Guess my next prerunner build will be based off a pre 74 frame...

kdm73091

Reaction
no there not, my buddy got pulled over last weekend for his exhaust but the cop almost impounded his truck for having a fuel cell, safety harness', illegal frame and suspension mods, and no mud flaps. so now he has to put his truck back to stock or make it a non-op truck strictly for offroad

Sparky

Reaction
no there not, my buddy got pulled over last weekend for his exhaust but the cop almost impounded his truck for having a fuel cell, safety harness', illegal frame and suspension mods, and no mud flaps. so now he has to put his truck back to stock or make it a non-op truck strictly for offroad

Where was that?