Are Private Messages entirely Private?

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
I recently had a little discussion with a forum member via PM's. Am I allowed to post them or is there a rule against that?

I don't think there is a rule against it. You're intelligent enough to not divulge personal information or do anything that would be considered out of bounds....so...If the forum as a whole would benefit from discovery of the contents of said PM's....let's read em.

Just my opinion.

DW

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
There is no rule about it. But, it is concidered a internet taboo to post PM's unless both sides agree to it. If your trying to get back at someone or use thier PM to attack or discredit them, then you will lose all respect from everyone(or at least should).

So, let's review...PM' are called Private messages for a reason...They are PRIVATE.

Hope that helps.

michael_loomis

Reaction
There is certainly no rule against it...

and we are FAR removed from JR High... so do what you want...

If its about Josh and Nick, we probably already know.... LOL

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
I'm not a mod, but here is my 2 cents.

It seems to be an unwritten rule not to post PMs into the public forums. It has created a lot of drama and bad blood when members have done so in the past. It's bad form and you could consider it a breach of trust. It was quite a while ago but I believe a member was permanently banned for posting PMs in the open forums.

I treat PMs just like a private conversation. If I got permission from the other person first and felt the info in the PM was genuinely worthwhile for others to see, then I might consider posting it.

scott-dsms

Orange
Reaction
Don't do it Dan...Not worth the potential headache...Just PM the PM's to the rest of us :D I keed I keed - I agree with DSRacing to the full. Peace :) Have a great day!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Like others have said.

There is no rule for it, however a good practice would be to get the others party approval to post in public. This is similar to email send to you. One rule here is to be respectful to your fellow forum member. Use best judgement.

Chase 2

Reaction
I think that if someone sends you a PM that is out of line, attacking you, or being a total dirt bag, then sharing with others what was sent is not out of line at all. Let everyone know the dirt baggery.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I think that if someone sends you a PM that is out of line, attacking you, or being a total dirt bag, then sharing with others what was sent is not out of line at all. Let everyone know the dirt baggery.

This was why I asked.

Thanks for the replys everyone. You all basically reinforced what I already knew. I feel kinda silly for bringing it up in the first place.:eek: Oh well. :p

In the grand scope of things it doesn't matter any way and the messages will remain private.

nafecarytrid

Reaction
This was why I asked.

Thanks for the replys everyone. You all basically reinforced what I already knew. I feel kinda silly for bringing it up in the first place.:eek: Oh well. :p

In the grand scope of things it doesn't matter any way and the messages will remain private.

Dan, I assumed those pictures I PM'd you were between you and I... :rolleyes:

michael_loomis

Reaction
If it was from MO pm'ing you from an alias please post it. Otherwise have respect.

Ya but see that's the issue.

We know dan pretty well, and if it's even worth asking then it may not be MO himself, but could be quite a few others version of the same thing.

If someone is THAT two faced, they should be outed regardless.. But you know how I am too... I speak out how I feel without thinking clearly first :eek:

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Dan, I assumed those pictures I PM'd you were between you and I... :rolleyes:

They are between you and I. ("I" is an abbreviation for "Internet" right.)

It wasnt a MO thing guys. That would be something I wouldn't think twice about posting. It was something else entirely..... and to elaborate on that would be counter productive to the community aspect of this forum so "I ain't gonna go there":cool:

Case closed.:)

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Awwww man. after all that, what a let down!!!:p