• Forum membership has its advantages....

Are teams still making pit books/binders?

Curtis Guise

Administrator
I'm in the middle of a big clean/organize mission in my garage and storage and came across these binders that we had for our Locos Mocos crew from our Baja 1000 trips/pits from 20+ years ago. I also have one from Bryan (All German Motorsports) from when him and Armin Schwarz were racing with Steven Eugenio in Trophy Truck when I was filming for them in 2015. Are most teams still putting printed books like this together for their crew or are you relying on phones and iPads with notes or PDF's to organize all the info for your crew? Mark Naugle (BCG1) put our Locos Mocos ones together and I remember how much work it was. These are only a handful of the ones I had from back then. Just curious how teams are doing it these days with changing tech over the years.

locos-mocos-pit-books-1.jpg
locos-mocos-pit-books-2.jpg

9rocky

Zambo

For my annual NORRA race I cobble together maps, pit locations, phone lists, schedules, hotels and everything else I can think of into one doc and email it to everybody. Plus everybody has the same mapping app on their devices so if we need to add a location it is simple to send to everybody.

mgobaja

Absolutely. For the 2017 B1K we had 4 trucks, and two of them had folks relatively new to Baja and chasing there. We made up pit / chase books, giving them info for everything we could think of. Went through them a day before the race with everybody, so they knew what we in them. Did the same for NORRA 1000 last spring. gives them something to thumb through while waiting for cars to show up at road crossings or pits.

I have seen books that were super detailed ( like what the process is to change out specific parts, what tools are needed, where those parts and tools are located in chase vehicles ), how to lay out your pit to ensure fueling hoses reach the vehicle, air hoses getting buried so they are not trip hazards, and all kinds of neat info.

Also gives the person issued the book, a souvenir from the race.

Fourstroker

For my annual NORRA race I cobble together maps, pit locations, phone lists, schedules, hotels and everything else I can think of into one doc and email it to everybody. Plus everybody has the same mapping app on their devices so if we need to add a location it is simple to send to everybody.
I did the same but also had printed copies in each truck. I added things like copies of Registration, Mexican Insurance policies, etc to the hard copies. Sometimes the hard copy is just easier to look through

Speedster

Absolutely! I always go thru the effort to put one together for each chase truck, each pre-runner and each navigator on the team. Even with today's technology, it's nice to be able to open a physical book and have all the info in one spot, mark pages, make marks / notes... and it all still works if stepped on, droped in the silt, soaked with a spilled energy drink, and whatever else can happen, because, Baja!

JulioBaeza28

From most of the teams I've been involved with we always have pit/race books. It doesn't matter how good and realiable is your book you will always find somebody that will say "I don't need it". In my personal opinion always encourage your team to read the book and be familiarized with it, have somebody from outside the team also familiarized with the book.

mgobaja

For the 1000, we also left copies with those tracking and communicating with chase crews. So they knew where each crew should be. based on where the car was. Copies of Insurance policies, passport, emergency contact info for each occupant ( including those in the chase vehicles ), contacts in Mexico.

We are doing pit books for all future races, especially with building a dedicated pit truck this year (tool locations/radio instructions are critical for new pit members).

BajaFand

An IPad doesn’t seem very practical for reasons stated above, plus you’d only have 1 that stays with the chase truck instead of everyone getting their own copy. They are cool to have as seuvineers. I have a couple from Cops and Mastercraft. The BFG books are cool to have too.

johndjmix

This hits the point perfect. We normally print books but keep the trucks info / parts list in a spreadsheet on our company server.

I went to look at the file last night and it was only 2k - aka it was corrupt! I go to the backup and see it was backed up that way.

Thank god I happened to print it before V2R last year, otherwise it would been a nightmare.

So yea, if you use an electronic system, always print and save it somewhere just in case.

—john

Radiobirdman32

++ on the copies of CDLs and passports. I also like to add copies vehicle registrations, medical insurance card and vehicle insurances. Never know.