Are the days of a solo driver winning the Baja 1000 over??

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
Competition is stiffer than ever and the speeds these guys have to run at 100% of the time is just mind blowing ..

Are the days of a driving the entire Baja 1000 solo just a thing in the past for the Trophy Truck division?

swiftracing5

Reaction
It would take a lot of luck.

deano

McDeano
Reaction
Depends on what "Baja 1000" you're talking about - A real 1000 plus mile tip race = Yes, a 700-800 mile loop race = No

Dirty Harry

Reaction
I don't think it makes as much sense and sharing driving duties, but I also don't think that competition is really that much stiffer than when BJ did it back to back just a couple of years ago.

Did Apdaly drive the entire race?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I don't think it makes as much sense and sharing driving duties, but I also don't think that competition is really that much stiffer than when BJ did it back to back just a couple of years ago.

No, his dad drove the second part of the race. Juan Carlos

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction

You don't think fresh legs every 400 miles has any advantage over a guy who has been driving 12 hours straight?

A Baja 500 sure someone can do it solo, but a Baja 1000...??? I'd be willing to bet it may be a thing of the past.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I think there are guys that can still pull it off. Bryce, Bebo and BJ are a couple of guys that train and I think could do it still it.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
You don't think fresh legs every 400 miles has any advantage over a guy who has been driving 12 hours straight?

No I totally think it makes sense. Not just from the point of fatigue but prerunning as well, since you can devote more time to your section instead of the entire course.

I was really impressed when BJ pulled it off two years in a row, and I guess I just don't think that the competing in TT has changed enough since then to make it a "thing of the past".

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I think having 2-3 guys would be a huge advantage over a guy who solos. Just from the prerunning perspective. You can remember a lot more stuff in you 400 mile section rather then trying to remember an entire 1000 miles and spending the proper amount of time learning.

A team like Rob/Andy and Luke/Voss have way more of an advantage over a solo BJ or Bryce.

johndjmix

Reaction
Our team ran 5 riders on the ATV. I rode for about 200 miles of the course. we were up racing and chasing for 32 hours and we were still awake enough to go out and party all night after we finished.

That said, I don't think anyone can ever be Ivan ironman Stewart.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Coast

Reaction
I learned the hard way in last years 1280 mi Baja 1000 run to laPaz in TT that you cannot be competitive soloing it. I was toast when I got to San Ignacio. I thought the truck was destroyed. But it was me that was destroyed. Truck was in perfect shape when I got back in 200 miles later and did the balance of the race. My pace dropped off substantially before san Ignacio. Still managed a top 10 trophy truck finish in a spec truck but I will never do it again.

By the way .... the Mint 400 does more damage to my truck than 1300 miles in Baja.

DK

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Our team ran 5 riders on the ATV. I rode for about 200 miles of the course. we were up racing and chasing for 32 hours and we were still awake enough to go out and party all night after we finished.

That said, I don't think anyone can ever be Ivan ironman Stewart.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

I don't know about this year but I do know know Dan champion Chamlee has raced 1000s & 500s more times that I can think of solo and won his class as well

Reaction
I can tell you alone and with a navigator are two very different things.

With a navigator you always have one person to talk to. Alone, you have lots of people to talk to.