• Forum membership has its advantages....

Are Trophy Karts too small for Desert Racing

You Mad Bro

I know those are mostly for minors, but make it 18 years or older for desert racing.

Since SCORE & BITD opened the doors for UTV,s/Rhinos a few years ago, would Trophy Karts ever have a chance.

Attachments

NIKAL

Years ago if I'm remembering right MDR's Plaster City series used to have a Trophy Kart like class for the kids? They did a few of them per year, New Years being the bigger one. It was raced the day before the main race and it was a smaller little track that was done next to the start finish line area.

I would guess if you got enough interest in a "Grown Up" version of a TK desert race you could get a series like D38 in Plaster City to do something. I know last year they added a stock UTV class. Being that the TK could not do the mileage a UTV or bike can, they would have to shorten or bypass much of the main race course, and make it where you could do a lap on a tank? Also I think due to the size the TK, class would have to be a stand alone race as if would be to dangerous, even having UTV's on the same course.

C flips

Years ago if I'm remembering right MDR's Plaster City series used to have a Trophy Kart like class for the kids? They did a few of them per year, New Years being the bigger one. It was raced the day before the main race and it was a smaller little track that was done next to the start finish line area.

I would guess if you got enough interest in a "Grown Up" version of a TK desert race you could get a series like D38 in Plaster City to do something. I know last year they added a stock UTV class. Being that the TK could not do the mileage a UTV or bike can, they would have to shorten or bypass much of the main race course, and make it where you could do a lap on a tank? Also I think due to the size the TK, class would have to be a stand alone race as if would be to dangerous, even having UTV's on the same course.
Ya they were fun to watch.

swiftracing5

Could you imagine the pro-TK posts "we get no respect" , if it became a thing. I don't think I can handle another UTVlike revolution.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JDDurfey

I understand that TKs are primarily a short course racer, but at bike races there are mini bike races. So why don't more of the promoters do a small course and let the kids race? I would love to get my son involved at an early age.

trentk

I understand that TKs are primarily a short course racer, but at bike races there are mini bike races. So why don't more of the promoters do a small course and let the kids race? I would love to get my son involved at an early age.
The local desert promoters here did have a TK class for kids. Whiplash back in 06-2010 and now AZOP would have a TK class if there were entries. They run a shortened kids only loop but its still in the desert and parts of their course overlaps with the adult course. I don't foresee the big promoters like BITD adding a kids class they have a hard enough time fitting in all the races with their current permits.

As far as the original guys question, it seems that mixing adults in trophy karts with anything bigger than an ATV or other TK's would be a bad idea. I know if there was interest that Kyle from AZOP would add an adult TK class. Hell, he added a 3 wheeler class for most of his races, its sweet seeing those maniacs race in the desert.

CoxTeamRacing

My kids ran something at Prim one year...maybe 2008ish at a BITD race I think. It was very cool. They ran the day before the race and on a shortened track just for them. Lots of karts showed up.
This was before the faster mod karts came out, and all the karts were pretty much the same.