• Forum membership has its advantages....

Are you guys seeing this?

nimrod

KOOK!
Hopefully you guys are catching the Dakar rally shows everyday on NBC Sports channel. The vastness, emptiness , and terrain of Saudi Arabia is mind boggling. The scenery is off the hook, it makes monument valley in the USA look boring. I desperately want to head over there and do some off roading and eat some middle eastern cuisine! Reminds me of Hawaii in the early sixties for surfing or Baja in the same time frame for exploring and off roading. Totally open, huge chunks, of terrain with NO massively over-worked, whooped out, trails.
Driving by 2600 year old villages on the long abandoned spice route from waaay back.

Ricky, Casey, and the other Americans are making history winning stages and doing work. Super rad!

How can a poor nimrod get there with some other knuckleheads who want to explore that place?

PS. NBC sports will air all the episodes consecutively on Friday if you’re interested.

y2kbaja

I am absolutely loving the scenery and cannot get enough of Dakar this year.
The Red Bull TV shows show good background of the area and the race itself.

nimrod

KOOK!
I am absolutely loving the scenery and cannot get enough of Dakar this year.
The Red Bull TV shows show good background of the area and the race itself.
I’m a huge Johnny and Ricky fan so the Redbull ktm stuff is just okay for me but man, great shows. How they manage to capture so much of the race, culture, and scenery in 30 minutes is amazing.
Really digging all the SSV coverage of Casey and the others.

J Prich

A lot of really scenic places in the ME in general, just not places people typically but on their bucket lists to go see.

Class10DAN

The Baja 4000 was 3 years ago. I ended up at 3,350 miles when we finished. They have renamed it the Baja XL but it is around the same distance.
is it non-stop or do you race a couple hundred miles stop and rest then continue?

nimrod

KOOK!
We have daily threads for each stage in the rally raid section and have been doing a homepage post every few days with the top 5 of each class. Rankings after stage 9 will be posted today.

Thanks Curtis. I hang out there a lot but threw this up here in case some peeps were missing out by limiting themselves. The racing in Dakar is too good to miss seeing

baja_racer

Stage 1 looked like it could have been shot in Ocotillo to me..............the rest of the stages have been epic to watch. RIP Paulo Goncalves

y2kbaja

Red Bull TV stage 9 coverage featured the Chinese team in their "limo", classic!! It's worth watching.

punchdrunk monkey

is it non-stop or do you race a couple hundred miles stop and rest then continue?
Not trying to hijack Nimmys thread.......First, it is not a "race" it is a "rally". It's not how fast you drive, its navigation 1st. The rally was 10 days. Started in Los Angeles to Cabo and back to Los Angeles.

EMS702

Rescue 1
stage 9 through that valley with black rocks on the sides of the course was incredible. I with you Nimmy, i want to take a trip here.

Class10DAN

Not trying to hijack Nimmys thread.......First, it is not a "race" it is a "rally". It's not how fast you drive, its navigation 1st. The rally was 10 days. Started in Los Angeles to Cabo and back to Los Angeles.
my Bad thanks for correcting me

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
It's definitely been way more entertaining to watch than the south American editions these past years. Finally back to the real deserts like the og African editions.

ACME

Last Baja 4K/XL was in Jan/Feb '19 and was a hoot. Totally different than a race: Think off road Geocahe with a few car/bike categories. I think there were 120 starters with everything from handlebars to Raptors, Can Ams, Prerunners, Jeeps, Cown Vics, Earthroamers to 2wd street cars. Kids will be kids and it became a race to a few and some showed a lack of common sense and courtesy. Great event and the organizer started with the Budapest to Bamako nav rally.

Tundranation

I have been blown away by some of the shots....this has been an awesome " viewing " Dakar ….and the AWESOME USA boyz are making it the best Rally !!