arm pump

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i know alot of you out there ride dirtbikes either motocross or desert. besides riding everyday what is the best thing you have found to combat arm pump? i recently started riding my bike again after like 2 or 3 moinths off and i cant go 2 laps with out not being able to hold on anymore. be fore i could go ten or so and get off for a while and go ten more. do i just need to ride more or does anyone have any special tricks?

martininsocal

Reaction
Turn lots of wrenches. On real tight bolts. All day. If you can't do that, try sets of 20 forearm curls with a 45# bar. Try do do 3 sets, then work up. Also, using a rope attached to the middle of a dowel and winding weights up with arms outstretched is another good exercise.

If your gonna go, go BIG

hoeker

Reaction
riding every day sounds like more fun!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

cleartoy

Reaction
OO i wish i had the answer. Im the exact same way. I ride my bike like once a month on a weekend trip to the desert and it kills me! Id like a Scotts stabalizer but thats $$$$.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Kbach66

Reaction
I've read in some training stuff that pottassium helps. I usually eat a banana before the race and then between each moto. Unfortunately...I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up....but it seems like it helps. It could be 100% mental too. If you're serious about racing....there's always surgery. I've got a few friends that have had it and they were amazed at the difference.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
My buddy races all the time, if he is not riding he is riding his moutian bike and that is what he does to keep in shape.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

In_the_works

Reaction
This is pretty obvious, but if you wear any kind of forearm/elbow protection, it will definitely become a hindrance. I used to wear some made by fox, but if I could get the straps tight enough to keep em from sliding, I'd have terrible arm pump in less than 5 minutes. They were fine for trail riding, but worthless for racing.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

bajaboy

Reaction
Keep your arms and pecks toned but, not to the point you look like Hulk Hogan.

Stretch like mad before you ride.

Drink tons of water before you ride and during , a Camelback has worked for me.

Eric "Bajaboy"

AP255

Reaction
Drink lots of water. When you first go out do 3-5 warm up laps at 60 percent. Let your arms relax before you go out again. You also need to work on relaxing on the bike. Grip the bike with your legs/knees and be conscious of how you are holding onto your grips. Work on being smooth and you will end up going faster. Go to a sporting goods store and get a can of racquetballs to squeeze. I always have one in my truck and do sets of twenty while driving to work. It will improve your grip strength.

Pflueger

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Check this out:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.motocross.com/garage/armpump.html>http://www.motocross.com/garage/armpump.html</A>

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Iv heard a few people saying that rubbing laxative on it works??? I wouldnt know havnt tried, but its worth a shot...

<font color=red> Real Chicks drive sticks </font color=red>

JeffS

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

If you're serious about racing....there's always surgery.

<hr></blockquote>

What kind of surgery are you talking about that helps this?
Is it like carpal tunnell ?
I have carpal tunnel, and my hands fall asleep when riding hard.. is it just arm pump or is that a different feeling ??

- Jeff S.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Switch hands!!!!!

Kbach66

Reaction
I'm not sure if it's technically the same surgery....probably not. Here's a cut and paste from a site that has some good info on armpump. It also lists other methods to prevent and minimize arm pump.

http://www.motocross.is/greinar/2002/armpumpa.htm

By cutting the skin and then slicing the muscle’s fascia (or actually removing a strip of fascia) the gristle-like compartment is opened up. This gives the muscles of the forearm room to expand. Your forearm has four fascial compartments, and it takes two incisions to release all four. The first is a volar incision to release the superficial and deep volar compartments. The second cut is a dorsal incision to release the dorsal and mobile wad compartments

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i know about the surgery. probably costs alot of $$$ and i dont think its available in the USA i k now of some of the pro supercross/motocross riders that have had it done and i think some superbike riders also got it done buti think they had to do it in europe somewhere.

Ryno

Reaction
I ride both the local tracks and the desert. In the desert, my first ride is usually about 50%. Then I have no problems the rest of the weekend. For the track, I am to a point where I can ride about 10 laps without bad arm pump. Drink alot of water, eat a banana or a potassium pill for breakfast, and stretch. I stretch my forearms both ways, then shake them out. I have also heard of guys using icy-hot, but never used it myself. If your looking for a great track, try Cahuilla Creek...off 371 in Anza. Awesome outdoor track, will give you a workout in no time!!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
again, a steering stabilizer works wonders.
Last time i rode a bike was almost a year ago, this weekend i rode a 30+ mile section of whoops at san felipe (on my kx which has a scotts) at about 60% and the only thing i got was 2 blisters.