Art Carr gate shifter in 97-03 F150 Install ??

desertspeed

Reaction
I am currently building my center console and mount for my Art Carr gate shifter for my 01' F150. Does anyone who has done this have any pics or info on how they routed the cable? The stock column mounted cable came from the steering column (obviously), through the firewall into the engine compartment, and then back to the shift linkage on the transmission. However, when I have the gate shifter mounted in my center console, the shifter is almost directly above the transmission, with the cable (5' long) going towards the rear of the vehicle. I can't figure out how to run the cable so that it ends up coming from the right direction. Do I need to run a complete loop of the cable somehow, or if I need to modify the shifter, or ????

Please help!!!!! Thanks

BTW, the transmission is a 4R70W- the shift linkage is on the driver's side.

SoDrty

Reaction
Use the cable and clevis supplied with the shifter. Unhook your oem cable and tie it off or remove it completely. Make sure you have your column shifter in park before you remove it and clip the wire that controls your parking brake interlock solenoid.
As far as the cable, I reversed the throw on the shifter so that the cable exits the front of the shifter. Then i ran it down through the floor and 180'd it back towards the transmission.
To reverse the throw on the transmission, simply mount the shifter arm lever down instead of up....
I have newer f150 with a 4r75w, basically same trans...

Attachments

desertspeed

Reaction
Well, I found out part of my problem- they sent me the linkage kit for a 4R100, not my 4R70W. Art Carr is going to send me out the correct linkage, and hopefully it will make more sense now.

murphco

Reaction
what are you going to do for the od switch?all the functions on the trans are a negative drop so a normal switch will work its just getting one that lights up and works with negative load path for the light.i cant remember where we got the switch to do mine you might look into adding a convertor lock up switch too.

desertspeed

Reaction
what are you going to do for the od switch?all the functions on the trans are a negative drop so a normal switch will work its just getting one that lights up and works with negative load path for the light.i cant remember where we got the switch to do mine you might look into adding a convertor lock up switch too.
I'm not sure yet- that is on my list of things to research. If you found one that works, please let me know where you got it or what it is- that would help a lot!

desertspeed

Reaction
Just an update in case anyone else wants to convert to a gate shifter on an 97-03 F150- the instructions provided with the shifter are pretty much useless. My cable runs through a 5/8' hole I drilled in the pan just above the transfer case, does a 180 loop over the transfercase, and is routed down to the shift linkage on the driver's side of the transmission.The cable does attach to the linkage on the transmission from the opposite direction than stock. The stock cable bracket at the front of the transmission is removed, and the new cable bracket is attached at the rear of the transmission using the rear 2 pan bolts. The new linkage arm will face down instead of up to account for the opposite direction of the cable.

Once I got into it, it was not a very difficult install.

Alex Paterson

Reaction
It was easy once we realized that they sent us directions for a 4R100 and I downloaded new ones :)

Mine is mounted from the back and just drops down and through the floor. I did adjust how the cable comes out of the shifter.

Also, if you don't like the hole left in the column you should be able to order a new shroud from Ford for a 5 spd truck which won't have the shifter hole. I haven't ordered mine so I am not 100% sure this is going to work but this is what I plan on doing instead of filling in the hole and the covering it up with vinyl.

Alex