Ashleys trophy truck

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Big Dave not to mention the almost 2000 extra pounds I hear that thing weighs.I have been told that the Herbst Trophy Truck is over 7000 lbs,is that true? I would be surprised if the other Ford of Ashley and Smith is much over 5000 lbs., if it weighs that.

BEERMAN

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A lot of the problems could be fixed with a weight reduction on that truck and they wouldn't need 850 HPs either.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: I have been told that the Herbst Trophy Truck is over 7000 lbs,is that true?

Steve,
I know how much it weighs and have been asked not to spread that around. I also know how much Ashleys TT weighs and he also doesn't want that spread around....;-) So, all I can tell you is that the weight difference between the two is not all that dramatic. The real difference comes in the form of unsprung weight. Herbst has 4x4 components like CV's, uprights, etc that contribute to all that unsprung weight so shocks become an issue. As far as horsepower it needs more. When all four wheels are hooked up the engine really labors. Other 2wd TT's just end up loose and just spin the rear wheels.

The Herbst guys have had a taste of the advantages of all wheel drive and they want it. Pure and simple. The car handles like nothing else they have ever driven. They know that if all the problems get worked out it will be a rocket. That's why they keep working at it and won't give up. It might also be noted that another prominent builder in the industry has recognized the advantage of AWD and is building a 4x4 TT.

There is no question that Ashleys TT is very very fast. But a lot of that comes from the drivers. They are the best in the business and they know how to drive. They know when to cruise it and they know when to hammer it. It's all in the planning. Their TT is getting tired though. It's 4 years old now and the frame is not doing well in the fatigue life department. Their chasing lots of cracks these days and other components are getting worn out. Might be time for a new one here soon and then the cycle will start all over again. You might remember that they came from a fast winning TT converted from a class 8 to a new TT that had lots of problems for the better part of the first year. It took almost a year to get the car sorted out.

Best,
Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Kritter and Steve,
You guys are pointing out something the big shots and loyal followers don't want to hear. They are stuck in the tunnel with no way out but the way they went in. That Trophy Tank is unbelievable. Are they chasing their ego or trying to win races? Yes, that thing handles better than perhaps any other TT out there. It should, because it is 4WD. But that does not make it right. It's like supercharging a bulldozer to beat Massey Furgusen tractors. No one questions the fact that the other TT's might not be the best they can be either. The conventional Truggy and TT's have reached a turning point in performance and development. Anyone who thinks 7,000+ pounds is the coming state-of-the-art for our kind of off-road racing is off their rocker (hint-hint). The big bulls are running the wrong way and taken some of the herd with them. But give'm room, cause they'll be coming back around eventually. Yee-ha!

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

martininsocal

Reaction
dave- back a few posts you talked about trying to make the ashley transmission last with the 850 hp of the herbst truck while hooking up. isn't that the point? who is leading points right now? isn't finishing what its all about unless winning doesn't matter? not everyone can spend a million bucks doing r&d in the desert. everyone knows that awd will be the future of the go fast guys, it has been proven in world rally and r/c cars. you want to see the future, thats where to look, incredible power to weight ratios, awd, and huge air without breakage. the future is out there, it just isn't a heavy future!

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Martin,

The future you're describing is just a couple races away...............

You should save a copy of your last post and re-post it then. People will think you're a Psychic.

Dennis

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Dave,I respect all the effort and $$$ the Herbst's are putting into the sport and for sure Ashley and Smith are as good as they come as drivers.As far as a 2wd spinning the rear tires I would say Damen Jefferies truck hooks up pretty well at only 5250 lbs.I learned a valuable lesson from the Fortins that their is no substitute for power to weight.He is still proving it now with his class one car and we both did it in class 10 when everyone else was racing the heavy Toyota buggies.I would also like to know what the Herbst's truck is putting to the ground,with all that stuff it has to power it's way below 850 HP.Once again who cares what HP at the crank what's getting to the ground is what I'm interested in.Thanks for all your input.

BEERMAN

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
You would think these fabricators are getting paid by the pound!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: That Trophy Tank is unbelievable.

Yes it is. But there is probably no point in entering it in the Laughlin leap. Certainly that thing weighs way too much to have any chance at winning against all those lighter lower horse power trophy trucks. ;-)

Dave

Volcom1095

Reaction
what about the McPherson TT wasnt that thing AWD i always thought that was a competative truck once Larry got behind the wheel. who did the R&D on that and what happend to that team ?

jeff

Reaction
The MacPherson team disappeared immediately following a deadly testing accident. That was the last nail in that programs coffin. That Fullsize AWD truck was always my favorite... I could've done without the longbed look but man was it fast. Don't know where it's current home is, haven't seen it for a year or two.

Aloha

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Correct me if I am wrong, but is'nt it still in impound in Barstow?

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: hey dave-how much does dondell's buggy weigh? how much hp?

I don't have a clue. I don't even know who Dondell is.

Dave

Ryno

Reaction
Steve-

In my experience, if you have 850 bhp @ the flywheel....after a 6spd, and a t-case, assuming they are running a 1-1 4wd...I'd say they lose between 15-20% So....they are probably only putting 650-700 to the ground. Then factor in 37" tires, and I'm guessing a 4.40 something gear ratio. So, I can understand why the motor is laboring...Dave is the man for keeping a t-case in that thing!!

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Jimmy8

Reaction
Probably something more like a 5:14 gear in the rear end.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080

scott

Reaction
Hey Martin- Dondel's buggy weighs lots more now, after he traded Nick Baldwin his old car back for Nicks All-Wheel Drive Car last week....

(Riviera Pit Support)

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
sorry to get off the subject, but while you are talking about truggies anyone know what happened to this truggy: (file attached)
their last name is Moser I think.

Attachments

• 5-18024-truggy.JPG
    5-18024-truggy.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 171