• Forum membership has its advantages....

associated SC10 or traxxas slash?

bajaherbie

okay I had r/c stuff 25 years ago(still have a kyosho optima, a bolink asphalt car, and tons of parts,tires, batteries) and have been thinking about getting back in to the scene with a 1/10 scale truck. ideally I would buy a traxxas Gordini but I don't think they will make one this year if ever. I just cant pull the trigger on the traxxas hummer as it is just too boxy/ugly to me.

the associated cost a bit more but the shocks are aluminum and not plastic, and the sc10 chassis look like it might hold up better in the long run. tower hobbies has some pretty good packages and discounts now. i'm not going to race it but just goof off with in my spare time...

what would you buy and why?

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
image.jpg
Are you gonna take it to the track or just bash around the neighborhood? I have both cars and the associated is more of a race car, it handles better and is much faster at the track. While the traxxas handles like garbage, it's much tougher and can take a beating. So if your just looking to just launch it around the neighborhood get the slash, but if you want to have fun at the local track get the sc10.

Last edited:

sb4pro

Couldn'tve said it better myself Hock . If your just gonna bash around the neighborhood get the Slash , but for racing most definitely get the sc10 . The slash is way to high centered to be a great race truck , although lots of tracks do have classes just for them . If you're gonna be serious bout racing get the sc10 , if you wanna just try racing once in awhile and are just starting out go with the slash .

Chris Tobin

If you are going to buy a Traxxas Slash, Robby's team is actually selling signed ones on ebay for $249.99 plus $12 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261233568474?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also agree that the Traxxas cars and trucks are VERY Durable and fun to bash around with. Also they generally have very good parts availability through local shops, Traxxas directly or even ebay!!!

I have a large collection of RCs and haven't had time to play with them lately, but they are a blast whenever we pull them out!!!

I like Traxxas, Losi, HPI and Associated cars. If you are going to do the Rock Crawling thing look into the Axial cars as they are supposed to be very stout!!!

9five9

Either way, bashing or racing, the SC10 is a better truck. People say the Slash is better for bashing, I have both, and can say the SC10 is equally as durable, but just has a MUCH better feel. In my experience, the SC10 wins in all categories. Though the Slash is fun to race at TORC events (can't run anything but Traxxas there)

sb4pro

I'm actually in the middle of a new project using an Axial RC . I'm using the Yeti , which is more of a rock racer KING OF HAMMER type truck . I'm building it up as a true scale trophy truck with IFS in front and solid axled 4 link in rear . image.jpg Here's the Yeti and here's some of the bodies I've got in mind for it .
image.jpg HPI Apache sc

image.jpg Associated sc8

bajaherbie

I pulled the trigger on the sc10 kit from tower hobbies, brushless motor, nimh battery, 2.4 radio, $15 coupon for next purchase.... found a discount code on TH website and saved $35 on the purchase. kit was $339 retail, so the credit card got dinged for $304.

over 25 years ago I bought the original issue of radio control car action magazine and was hooked. I made the mistake of buying a kyosho optima instead of the associated rc10 (gold tub kit). I cut the fenders off of a 40 ford coupe and ran the crap out of it but I wish I had bought the rc10 instead.

looking forward to Christmas day! I will try to take a photo of mu old r/c stuff today and post it here....

if traxxas comes out with a Gordini body it will go on the sc10 !!!!

bajaherbie

old 4wd optima converted to 2wd, it had a mechanical speed controller but l soon bought a futaba and then later a tekin electronic speed controller.... good times, looking forward to getting back in the scene

9five9

I'm actually in the middle of a new project using an Axial RC . I'm using the Yeti , which is more of a rock racer KING OF HAMMER type truck . I'm building it up as a true scale trophy truck with IFS in front and solid axled 4 link in rear . View attachment 148129 Here's the Yeti and here's some of the bodies I've got in mind for it .
View attachment 148130 HPI Apache sc

View attachment 148131 Associated sc8
Are you leaving it 4 wheel drive?